Lucid Virtu MVP

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Chillin, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Does this version actually work?

3. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Is this full software or does it require some hardware as well. Does look nice if it all works fine.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The motherboard has to be licensed to use it. Only boards I know of supporting it are some select Z68 boards and the Z77 motherboards. Don't believe any AMD boards are.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No idea, haven't installed it in a while.

Though users are reporting positive results with their "Virtu MVP 2.0", so hopefully this is based on the same fixes and version underneath.

6. grinenko

grinenko New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 670
  7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Nice.
    Thanks.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

New Lucid MVP (MVP 2) on Lucid Servers:
    http://lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-mvp2.shtml

Version 3.0.105

Completely new interface. I don't just mean a few little changes, it's completely revamped (probably a little 'toyish' to be honest).

Full catalyst 13.1 --> and Nvidia 314.x --> support, what does this mean for OEM users stuck on 2.x?

Retail only, so you have to pay for it after 30 days. It still works on OEM boards, but only for 30 days. In other words, OEM users are currently jibbed and stuck on the old 2.x series.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I tried to download the Virtu MVP 2.0 driver a couple weeks ago and it said my system wasn't supported.... So, how exactly do you get it? Does the user have to pay for it or is it licensed on newer boards?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It works on my Extreme6, but only activated for 30 days. You downloaded the initial release 3.0.104 which didn't support some newer display drivers etc. The 3.0.105 only came out 03 March.

This 3.x series is nothing more than an updated 2.x series that Lucid wants you to pay for. Since you actually need a board capable of 2.x series to run 3.x series! It may also mean that the 2.x series will see fewer updates in the future. The 'pro' version is the equivalent to what we can get with OEM.

So, unfortunately it looks like if you want to continue using MVP to its proper extent (and not just a maintenance release which is all we can expect from 2.x series now on, if at all) you have to pay $59.99 even if your board has paid for the licencing. It may also mean that for Haswell boards (although probably too late to change this), more likely Broadwell boards, they might not even bother with Lucid MVP.

FACT: All Lucid MVP is, is in effect a 'driver' for their hardware. You don't pay Nvidia, AMD, Intel etc for new drivers, even when they add new features or support for new games etc, and yet Lucid expects us to pay basically $60 to update to (analogous) Catalyst 13.2 from 12.11 or to Nvidia 314.x from 29x.xx etc.

11. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    Plus it is a yearly purchase.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah, bit of a rip-off really, it can only lead to it's demise if they don't update the 2.x series for OEM.

That said, since you actually have the have 2.x OEM Lucid MVP to use version 3.x (and pay for it), I doubt there will be any substantial updates for the OEM versions.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In other words....LucidLogix is working on making themselves irrelevant.....again....

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems like it! Also the 'benefit' given by Lucid MVP isn't universal, it only works for specific applications, although others may work if added to the list. Of course, some have found that it doesn't work properly even if the application is on the list!

If you keep a computer system for 2 years before upgrading, using the new licencing system where you get 'pro' (because you probably wouldn't get the standard and definitely not the basic), it's $120 on the offchance than some of your games may benefit from a performance increase. This $110 is on top of the money you have already paid to have the chip on the motherboard and the OEM licencing fees (which are a lot less, but across a significant number more boards so Lucid aren't losing out there). It would be much more beneficial to put that $110 towards a better graphics card and better RAM etc.

Also you have to realise that you can then sell the better RAM, video card etc later on, and get more than what you would with the lesser card, RAM you would have had if you spent the $110 on Lucid, so in fact the difference is more than $110.

I'm not complaining about the actual principle, just the licencing implementation.

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Actually, version "2.0" is exactly the same as the Virtu MVP we've been using for a while. Only, it targets users who's OEM's didn't license Virtu MVP from the start.

Bit of a poor naming decision on their part in my opinion.

Anyways, the new update is out of beta:
    http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-mvp.shtml

16. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    New Version 2.1.224 Out

Support AMD Display driver 13.1
    Support NVIDIA Display driver 314.07

Gonna check it out. Love the Virtual Vsync this program offers.

I had many dx out of memory errors in BF3 with version 2.1.223 (and general game crashes) with my GTX 680, due to the program doubling the amount of vram usage - it would just sit at 2gb all the time and eventually crash after long periods of play.

However using my new 7970 it seems more stable, although at 1080p and virtual vsync on its using 2.8-2.9gb vram !!!

**Update**
    2.1.224 seems to have fixed the memory leak/ high vram usage, with virtual vsync on vram is just sat at the same amount as if it were off.
    No crashes after about 3 hrs of BF3.

ingame vsync on, virtual vsync on = no tearing, high fps & smooth lag free mouse :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  17. Seraphime

Seraphime Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7770 power edition
    Wrong GPU configuration

hello everyone, i had some trouble with virtu mvp latest version 2.1.223 and 2.1.224, i cannot finished installation " wrong GPU configuration" any idea whats going on? the latest version working fine is 2.1.221

my spec:
    intel i5 3570k with hd 4000 ( 9.17.10.2932 )
    msi hd 7770 power edition ( 13.1 )
    asrock H77 pro4/MVP bios 1.5

Many thanks before :)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Really? I don't doubt you, but it really is bad naming! Why differentiate it with a new version series (3.x), call it '2nd generation' (OEM is 1st), and give it a new UI?

Also, wouldn't having separate versions create more work? Why not just include the retail version in the normal version, which is automatically licenced on computers that are OEM supported (like 2.x series now) and require registration/activation on non-OEM supported computers. That would make a lot more sense!

You could still have your different tiers in licencing, the version activated depends on the activation licence. You could even set (when in trial mode) the different licence tiers under settings so you can check it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    From what I read, that's the way it works.

The Lucid headquarters is a short drive from me, maybe one of these days I'll stop by and ask what the hell is going on over there.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Lucid needs to increase their game support. If they expect to get sales of their software...they need to support more games. Until they get serious about supporting games, their licensing prices are nothing but a bad joke.