Why Guru3D probably never will review Ubisoft titles anymore

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

So it's Thursday in the 2nd week of January 2012. I Figure hmm it's time for a nice new VGA / graphics performance article on a game title. One of my favorite series is Anno I still play Anno 1404 which in...

More...

** update -- everybody please keep keep this thread civilized -- no swearing etc -- thank you.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think you're talking to the wrong people.

Given that you're a review website, offering them free advertising everytime a new VGA card is released, I find it, not difficult, but impossible, to believe you can't get access to a workaround.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol, what a bunch of BS.

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    They really like digging themselves a deep hole... The cry to the public about piracy and how it hurts them so bad on PC but with stunts like this and their well known and hated "always on DRM" they effectively shoot themselves in the foot with ACTUAL potential sales with their methods. Ubisoft should really just get out of the PC market altogether they just don't get it...

5. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    They made such a stupid step...so what? I'll use illegal copy of this, never thinking of buying it...problem solved ;D

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Seems like ubi needs the extra sales. :)

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Again Ubisoft. Damn, what's wrong with them. Always in the middle of the action.

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Sure you can crack the game and play, but thats not the point. Legally they did not give workaround. If thats how much they care about their custommers, then they can **** off.

Say that you have game installed on desktop and laptop. You change soundcard (different device if, third activation used) and then after some time want to upgrade gpu, bam, you cant play the game anymore becouse you ran out of activations. Buy new game ? Hell no, **** the whole Ubisoft.

Just BS from Ubi and right decision from Hilbert.

9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    lol
    i have no freaking words for this...

Only one: "DOnt SUPPORT UBISOFT ANYMORE"

What a bunch of Shi*#heads.
    Anyway, nice article Hilbert. Thx for that...

10. terraxtx

terraxtx Guest

GPU:
    Palit Gtx 560ti 2GB
    You would have actually marketed their game by adding the title to the review list.
    It is their problem if their brain size does not exceed 12mm.

PS: If you badly want to use the title for a review then use razor 1911 crack...haha

11. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Idd, thanks for the info on that Hilbert.

As I said on the last debate over ubisofts new DRM (Assasin's Creed 2), I'm not buying any of their games anymore.
    Now this what Hilbert is saying, has clearly nothing to do with "anti-pirating", but is only punishing the buyers..

Not so long ago, I reinstalled Burnout Paradise for the 5th time or so. It said that the activation limit is used up. I contacted them, and got the activation limit reset in 5 minutes..

12. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    ehhh im not going to stop buying ubisoft games over something like this it does not effect me at all if i like it ill buy it simple...

13. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I am disappointed, but not surprised. The game developers who've invested heavily in DRM are idiots, because all they're doing is making it more difficult for their legitimate customers to enjoy the game. The pirates are all laughing at the pathetic attempts to stop them. Every single DRM package ever released has been cracked & pirated. You literally can not stop software piracy, so why waste your time and money trying? It's like the DRMers have a religious belief in the cult DRM: They've been brainwashed into thinking that if only they invest hard enough in it, then someday it will stop the pirates.

People who want to buy game will buy games, and people who want to pirate will pirate. Nothing is going to change that. Meanwhile, Unisoft is shooting itself in the foot with it's DRM, as evidenced by their stupid hardware-change-monitor nonsense.

HEY UBISOFT:
    Good job driving your reviewers and customers away from your products, you idiots. You're well on your way to becoming the next EA, the most hated name is gaming. For your next trick, why don't you drive the entire company over a cliff? That should be fun to watch. Hope you crash and burn. Sincerely: Your former customers.

14. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    The thing is that pirated copies sometimes aren't relevant when benchmarking because the emulation performed by the crack or the bypassed routines, from case to case, may change (to the better or the worse) the performance of the application.

Simply leaving out Ubisoft games seems to make sense.

15. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I wouldn't go so far by saying that whole ubisoft staff is ******************************************************************************************************************************************, i think there are one or few "smart" people who shouldn't work there =) And by supporting you i'll say Yeah don't support them, just don't buy it and play, how they treat us - we treat them =)

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I will still buy their games lol

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I refuse to buy anything Ubisoft, or EA for that matter if it involves their stupid online-system-scanny thing.

18. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Yeah give them a few more calls, email them a link to this thread, i see no reason why your key shouldn't be capable of 100-200 activations, or even be unlimited.
    Or what about a revoke tool?

To bad you can't just eye-patch and pegleg it.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is nothing wrong with their games, they have great titles and everybody should buy them really. I have no intention to keep anyone away from their games.

Anno 2070 is a fantastic game, hence we wanted to add it into our software test suite.

The problem simply is the DRM applied by Ubisoft -- not the games.What bothers me is that the protection monitors hardware changes. You can have three significant hardware changes and you're out (activations wise) .... this little news post is one of many (from others), in the hope the more attention it sees the more Ubisoft will get aware of the fact that they really are taking it a step too far.

Pretty much if you'd be swapping a new motherboard and have two graphics cards updated / changed ... you'd be facing the same issue as us.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It would be on way up if they were becoming next EA. EA isnt that bad imho.

Ubi is the worst.