New GPU.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by cookiebun, Apr 17, 2014.

1. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X
  2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-344-SP

You can also look at this if its not too much.

Pretty much between the two you're looking at which cooler you want as they're both reference PCB w/ custom coolers.

The new Vapor-X I'm linking has a custom pcb, chokes, 2x 8pin for power and a vapor chamber cooler which is about roughly 5C~ better than Tri-X. I unfortunately bought the Tri-X day after Vapor-X came out and I cant wait 2 weeks for them to refund. Anyway a review showed it to OC pretty good and run cool as well as being silent with intelligent fan mode you can have one of the three fans running till it hits 60C then the other two kicks in.

If you cant get the Vapor-X the Tri-X is pretty good. What Gigabyte ha over Sapphire is the warranty (3 vs 2).

Here is a quick benchmark:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/vuuaz/
    Catalyst 14.4 (14.100.0.0)
    1125/1500 (Hynix)
    +50mV
    +20%
    Max Temp: 74C
    Min Temp: 38C
    Fan: Auto

3DMark11 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8239615
    3DMark13 FS: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2023682
    3DMark13 FSE: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2897897

3. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi thanks for the info but im afraid the Vapor X is over my budget but I am leaning towards the 4GB Sapphire R9 290 Tri X OC I am not worried about overclocking, it is the noise I am worried about.

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    The Tri-X fan is pretty good considering its putting up against the 290 line. At idle it runs at 20% and you can barely hear it. At 100% its really loud but I doubt you need that unless you're going for benchmarks. At gaming load you can hear it but not as loud and I have open back headphones (mind you I have no HDDs and all Noctua fans). I am pretty picky and anal with sound so not sure if thats saying much. At stock the card is plenty fast and depending on your ambient temp it should stay pretty cool. Its definitely a big improvement from stock plastic blower cooler that gets super loud and hits 85C.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd go for the Sapphire card over that Gigabyte, MSI is also a good option if they've an after market in your price range.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would avoid gigabyte. Ocuk have the msi gaming for £319, not bad. Vapor-X would be nice, sure, but it's more expensive.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    MSi Gamings a cracker, very quiet, even underload, mines been at 80% and hardly hearable, there are loads of reports of them suffering from failing fans (not just the 290s), and oil leakage though (im keeping an eye on mine :p), so id go for the Sapphire, as thats also a cracker, and supposed to be about the best 290 custom cooler.

8. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi yes I hope to order the Saffire today will I have any problems with my system running this card.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It should be a fantastic addition to your system, OC that CPU if it's still running at stock though.

10. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi I have overclocked it before to this Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 4.5Ghz but I had to turn it down because of a game that didn't like an overclocked cpu ( Fallout ),and I just haven't put it back up since finishing the game.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Your overclock wasn't stable.

12. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi at the time I was told it was good temp wise and was stable, it was only that one game it played all the rest and when I turned it down it played Fallout.

P.S. I have ordered the Saffhire.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It isn't just about temperatures, it's a little more complex than that. If you decide to try it again be sure to ask here for advice, I'm sure we can get you running with a stable OC. Congrats on the card though, fantastic piece of kit.

14. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    thanks. how do I upload pics

15. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi I installed the 4GB Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri X OC, yesterday after I formatted the drive just to make sure all the junk was out, on idle I cannot hear it above my case fans and playing Battlefield 4 on Ultra it was a bit louder but it was a fan noise that after a while you can ignore it not like the MSI card which was a whine, I am very pleased with the card and don't regret one bit getting it.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Good to hear you're enjoying it.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Vote for Sapphire tri-x

edit: ah you already got it, cool :nerd:

18. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi thanks for all your help and advice. regards

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Enjoy, i was going to get the Sapphire Tri-X at first, but the MSi beat it into stock, so just got that one. :D

20. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi no problems yet and it eats Battlefield 4 fans at 41% and temp 64-69. thanks to all.