Xbox 720 Could Require always-on DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Extremetech has an interesting story that leaked screenshots of the Xbox 720 development kit from 2012 reveal Microsoft's next-gen console may not only have always-on DRM but also mandatory game inst...

Xbox 720 Could Require always-on DRM

2. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    Which is WHY I am staying with PC Screw all that **** 10x over. PS4 and these guys can suck it!

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Mistake.

Pc had its share of DRM troubles(still some, but not as bad) and now it's stemming to consoles.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Microsoft just gave this round to Sony on a plate.

Grats on alienating your loyal 360 userbase who, have now left college, found jobs, started a family and wouldn't mind playing games during those 4AM baby feeds.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So there is no offline mode at all? Really strange if that would be the case. I'll reserve judgement until it is announced.

If there is no running games off the disc then it implies some form of key being tied to your account, otherwise people will go crazy sharing the discs. Not good at all and more importantly the advantages over the PC are narrowing. Really, MS is making it harder to be likeable.

6. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    This new protection from used games will simply killed all local resellers stores.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I lost interest in the next Xbox as soon as the rumours about it shipping with Kinect 2.0 surfaced but this latest rumour about mandatory installs (they were bad enough on the PS3 IMO due to its limited hard drive space) and always online DRM has all but put me off considering buying one. Of course, it may not be true but I only really want one console next generation anyway so I hope it is! I've already pre-ordered a PS4. :p

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i dont mind. i prefer my games 0 and i dont sell my games anyway. and wait a minute. i buy digital versions of ps3 and xbox360 games anyway.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    So when your broadband is down and you want another way to have some fun, if XBox is your entertainment, you cant use it.
    Sounds like a great purchase.
    MS are full of great ideas these days.

This.

You dont mind not being able to use your console?

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They might as well add a "wave at kinect" gesture + face recognition before launching any game to ensure you're the one who is the owner of the account :p Your younger siblings want to have a go at it? PAY MOAR! :D

12. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    You'd better remove this comment, so that no one on Microsoft reads it and takes it seriously

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Always-on is the most stupid idea ever, I know a lot of people still don't connect their consoles online (yes those people exist), I have friends and family that don't connect them because they don't see the need to connect their consoles online because they just don't play multiplayer games.

deltatux

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, an always online console or even just a requirement to be online to 'register' a game the first time you play it would mean the next Xbox wouldn't be a suitable console for a child who perhaps has their console in their bedroom but does not have access to the internet (or their parents might not want them to). Microsoft would be potentially limiting the number of people who could use their consoles so it would be a stupid thing to do really.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm one of these people. I went online with my 360 ONCE to get some updates for Forza 3, other than that, not at all. Don't play online, too many overcompetitive aholes that I can't be arsed dealing with, that and I refuse to pay £8 a month for the privieldge. M$ won't be getting any of my money if this idea is the case.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Oh dear :/

17. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    This is hilarious. I wonder if MS have any other brilliant ideas for shooting themselves in the foot. I'm definitely not going to pick up a console with always-on DRM. No way, no how.

18. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Unless they have uber power in comparison to the PS4, they have lost this round before it began.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm not gonna bash anyone until theres official information. This leak could or could not be true so what the hell. IF it does have always online well that does suck for real but i'll reserve my judgement.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I've heard the specs are a bit under but of course those are jus rumors.