US Switch From Analogue To Digital TV Delayed By 4 Months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Cybermancer, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    [​IMG]

Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...N_DELAY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. EddieG

EddieG Master Guru

GPU:
    A few
    Yeah, and we can't get our phone cords to reach very far when going to the store either ;)

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    What the hell...just get on with it already. Bugger.

4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Yeah this is really stupid... to delay it only gives those that are putting it off more time to put it off some more. If you make the switch people have to get off their butts and make the change. Those that won't get the signals when it switches over from location won't really make a difference and this is what those trying to delay it are bringing up. The mountains around here are just really too rolling and high to almost pick up analog signals let alone digital. I'm 50miles from the nearest digital tower output and I have a hell of a time getting a signal cause of the mountains but I've got Dish Network so doesn't matter to me.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The federal program that hands out the digital converter boxes ran out of money.. how are they supposed to make the switch when they can't?

6. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    It's "analog" by the way. :)

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Analogue is the english spelling. It's the same.

Color/Colour

8. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

If my 70 year old Grandmother who lives in a town of 500 in the foothills of Cali can figure out to get DirectTV so they do not have to mess with it, anyone can do it.

9. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I know that. XD Just messin' around. :)

10. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    If you can't spend 40 bucks on a freaking converter, you don't deserve or use a TV. Absurd sum of tax money to spend just so people can watch TV.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That's great.

People exist in this country, about ~6.5M left, that have never payed for a TV service. These people have the option of signing up for a coupon, to get a free TV converter box and continue paying nothing for their TV service. The government program that hands out these coupons no longer has the money to hand them out. Thus 6.5M people (funfact: 21% of Minnesota still use analog) will be left without TV.

Do I think it should be delayed this long? No. Do I think it should be delayed at all? I think the numbers are over inflated and most of these people are either A. Confused by the switch, B. Already have a newer TV with a built in digital decoder, C. Don't even care. But to say that it's entirely due to the lazyness of these people is incorrect. I would assume that the majority want their TV service to remain free.

12. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Agreed. Essentially if they really want it, it's only $40.

13. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    So thats 2% of the US population... I think our civilization would collapse if those people didnt have TV. I mean seriously this is ridiculous, how long have we KNOWN that the switch was coming, yet people still havent gotten a converter? Those people deserve to be without tv until they get their converter box.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Radio Shack here had $40 off coupons in their sales ad a couple weeks ago. But, they started announcing this 2 years ago....that's plenty of time for everyone to prepare...make the switch, screw those that put it off for 2 years.

15. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    just be lucky ur not in the uk boys.

16. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Two years ago? More like 15 years ago when it was first decided upon by Congress and has been mentioned in the Congressional record more times than I can recall since then. But, yeah, the gigantic ad campaigns I guess started about then.

All said and done, television is a privilege not a right. Handing out millions of those little converter boxes adds to an already hyper-inflated federal budget. God forbid people might have to read books or listen to radio... Or just go outside.

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    The coupons have been available for 2years now. I ordered two for grand parents and had them here in less than 2 weeks way back when it first started. To wait now is a waste of resources stations have already put into the change to happen next month vs 5 months from now. If your not ready by now it was your choice not the Governments fault.