Radeon HD 5970 Single card and Crossfire review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Its basically two 5870's (a bit slower) in one card with a lower price tag, don't understand why anyone would have expected more after seeing the 5870.

Fermi will match or beat this if it is as good in real life as it looks on paper, but the price will be the deciding factor for me.

2. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    QFT.... on a 3D enthusiast hardware forum mind you.

3. antsh

antsh Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 Ti
    Great review. One question though, which software specifically did you use for the video trans-coding test. You described it, but never actually mentioned the name of the program. Maybe it was on purpose, just wondering. Thanks!

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Hard to tell re this card atm untill perhaps some more tests are done with higher oc cpu but it looks like a beast.

Whilst it disappoints in some games several like cod modern warfare and res evil show the card working up to its near potential I think.

Also was that 13fps gained from overclocking it. wow!

It's a shame though they cant release a dual gpu that doesnt run quite as hot as 80c.

This card isnt for me. Am gonna stick to the 5870 which I think is the better option unless you have a setup over 4ghz and maybe into water-cooling. Then it's going to be a killer :)

You can expect performance to go up with better drivers although saying that whilst ati drivers have been a very pleasant surprise for me re the 5870 I dont see big improvements from say cat's 9.10 to 9.11. Time will tell.

Another great review, good spread of games used for us to see how it runs.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-115-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1577

(£519 in the Uk. Again i think Ati is overpricing £50 but with no nvidia who's 2 stop them).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    great review boss just what i needed to read :)
    i see you thuoght also that maybe it was going to be 500$ not 600$. with no other companys at the party what do we expect :nerd:
    very strange thuo when i finish reading your vga reviews,normally newegg has them forsale by the time i'm done reading.it could be maybe to early yet?

torn between 5850 cf and 5980
    glenboy and a few others have the 5850 fly'in like a mother fo and even with volts its going to really take alot out of a 5980 card to run like that all the time .
    idk?

i think i cant get either right now anyways

6. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    Hilbert where we can find the client that supports ati 5xxx cards as it is again mentionet in your review that is available

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/9
    "And right now there is a GPU folding client available that works with Radeon 5000 series graphics processors. It is ATI Stream based, meaning that all Stream ready GPUs can start folding."

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    its in the latest drivers when u do the install now? it has an option for you to install folding@home.

you can choose to untick/tick the box.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the review.
    This card is so over-the-top. Now I can see why they declocked it compared to 5870 - too much heat. With all that throttling, overclocking without water feels so wrong.

Hilbert, have you tried testing EyeFinity with this setup? 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 feel like a joke for 5970, and especially 5970 CF.

9. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Nice review, perfect ATI product not for now but for later. It is the same story again, in a matter of 6 to 8 month new games will come on the market and I'm positive it will squeeze that card to the bone @1920 maxed out.
    Nvidia may drop their pants and smoke nervos in a corner wright now, they better come with something asap cause ATI wright now is doing this::eatme2:.

10. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Yes, a little disappointing from that viewpoint. I hoped more power too. Anyway, these ATI cards bring support for directX11 though this is not very important right now.

Still, as there will be no Nvidia's next gen for gamers, I think that ATI is the worthy new king. No other opponent in gaming for a long time, it seems.

11. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Its the king of single card for now. Kinda disappointed when 5850CF beat 5970 tho. Its a great card on its own nonetheless.

12. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Not even mid-day and overclockers.co.uk are already sold out

13. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Call me paranoid but I'd like to see a version with a little more framebuffer.

14. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I canceled my order on 2 sapphires vaporx 5870s for this puppy, actually sapphire HD 5970. This card is really a beast. It will rock :)

15. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Bit disappointing. I wonder why AMD couldn't put two 5870s on to the one PCB. Maybe they are saving that for when the competition actually arrives.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    A bit paranoid since you have 256mb card :D

17. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Errr... the 5970 IS two 5870's on one PCB... :3eyes:

I would also like to know this.

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i cant find any in the states and by the time i get home they will be sold out.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    3 things come to light

1. 5970 is THE go-to single-card for 100fps+ in nearly all games.
    2. Current cpu's are woefully under powered for these cards.
    3. There is zero stock available of these cards.

20. poo417

poo417 Guest

GPU:
    It is 2 5870's on the card. The difference is the clocks and voltages. It seems that the atx specification calls for a card under 13.5" long and under 300W to be fully compliant. So they have a 294W card and thus fully atx compliant. Thankfully they include a little voltage tweak tool with the 5970's to bump the voltage up on core and memory (or the msi burner for more core as Hilbert used) and go for higher clocks and use more watts. Please someone with more knowledge put some more info after this. This is just read on several other sites rather than my actual knowledge. :3eyes:

On the bright side mine should arrive tomorrow :banana: