2x4870x2 Best Driver + Profile

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Constant, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    well we now have to find the most decent driver for 2x4870x2 :D

im willing to change os :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i'm on vista :nerd: well i doubt that would be better than 7

so only BF3 is the challenge? what about other games, you ever run into good scaling until you look at too large of an environment? (i see this in crysis2, shift2 night races, war of the roses)

are you sure it got targeted correctly? try making a profile in CCC or RP to disable CF to see if it correctly detects the game, then could try forcing another dx10 game profile that is known to have quad CF support

3. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    i will try so , once i get back home this evening.

BF3 was the first game that put me into thoughts , i was not that much into modern games ... used to play Diablo 2 LOD till 2011.... :D

4. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    After many driver swaps radeonpro decided it was about time it seized working :(

I get no OSD anymore , and settings only aply on certain games...

I even reinstalled directx but didn't fix that...

Tried rolling back on previous drivers..

Windows 7 here I come.....

5. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes, smart choice.

If you want access to 5 years worth of drivers for 4870x2 that works as intended, instead of just 1 or 2 that's forced to pretend it's a Windows 8 driver when it's really a Windows 7 one dressed up.

Then your going to have to ditch the chimpanzee tablet OS and go back to 7.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    installed windows7 , tried your driver pack , followed instructions but for some weird reason ccc wont start. it must be my lack of updates since its fresh install. i'll get .net and visual and give it a try tomorrow.

thanks again kevsamiga1974 :D

7. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    back to windows 7 x64, and everything works as intended...

tried enabling AFR in radeonpro for some games , apparently scaling is pretty bad... no wonder why they use only 1 or 2 cards out of 4 by default.....

tomorrow i'll suffle through various catalyst profiles with AFR enabled and come back with results on BF3 ,

btw im using your driver pack kevsamiga1974 ,

-do you still need that bios firmware ? i was offline today and needed that GPUZ to save it.

8. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
  9. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Sick fps. Legacy cards are still alive.

10. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    i must note though , that cpu is bottlenecking me....

all gfx settings maxed + resolution maxed , i get ~70fps

all gfx settings to low + lowest possible resolution , i get ~75fps

set cpu to stock clock (3ghz) , i get ~60fps

any recommendations on cpu upgrade ??

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The drivers were designed to rock, especially on the 4870x2....:)

Hmmm....

The last time I tried the ASUS top bios way back it bricked an XFX 4870x2 permanently (no longer with me), and there wasn't any output on the secondry DVI connector at the back, just a red screen.

Currently on 011.007.000.000.030394 which is the correct bios for my card. I think if I want to permanently increase clocks (the bioses for these series are not really buggy) that would be the bios to edit with the bios editor instead of using other more risky bios because all the memory timings are different. Some cards have Hynix memory that won't overclock worth a damn, and others have Qimonda. 3 guesses for what memory you have on the card. :)

I have Qimonda+Hynix too across 2 cards. Hynix is cheaper and won't overclock.

Funny how that bios doesn't crash atikmpag.sys under Windows 8 tho...wait...that problem was on the other HIS 4870x2 card with a much older BIOS, not this one...will have to check this stuff out.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    My cards where originally sapphire , not sure what memory brand they use. I am 100% positive this is the bios I use cause I pulled it through gpu-z earlier yesterday and tried to upload it on techpowerup, but it halted cause it was already up under those two links.

I have flashed them with literally any bios available and this one has been by far the best. Not a single glitch or crash ever since. Mind I also use watercooling and temps never exceed 70c

13. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    updated first post with results so far , to help others

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    More satisfied legacy crossfire owners...thanks for the feedback. :)

Good, and extremely lucky, since these drivers were beaten with a stick, tweaked and tested to work on the most problematic card in history, the 4870x2. :thumbup:

It also means validation that my work, efforts and months of testing getting this crusty 4870x2 working better with less driver bugs and being very crafty working around existing driver bugs over the last 6 months period wasn't wasted when I started long ago.

Legacy Hybrid...The original and still the best for crossfire and bugfixes where all the testing/functionality and tweaking has already all been done for you across a broad range of games and apps ! :bigsmile:

Install...play games. Not install...play with drivers more than playing games. :infinity:

[​IMG]

Installing them on Windows 7 x64 makes these little pieces of silicon in multiple arrangements work better ^ :whip:

Robust, reliable, complete.

15. Ruslu

Ruslu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
    Going to return to Windows 7 just because of the drivers. Too many problems under Windows 8.

16. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    amazing Deadspace 3 results too !

all effects maxed out, 1080p resolution and great scaling at 60+fps

tried something funny today , underclocked GPU's and overclocked cpu from 3.3 to 3.7ghz (cause water loop is the same) = MORE FPS !!!!!!!!!!!

17. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yes. 4870x2 will keep providing more FPS as the CPU is increased.

No need for new cards. :)

18. Joe 69

Joe 69 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Hei Kev,
    This is real satisfaction: the right compromise between having performance and reliability.

Not only games going good, with your HYBRID even the 2d quality seams the top: the desktop, applications, word and excell looking more sharp with less blury and distortions.

GREAT JOB !!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  19. angmar

angmar Guest

Ugh I cringe at the thought of the sheer amount of power quadfire 4870x2 must use and the utter lack of performance gained by it. Sure do miss my 4890 though was a great card!

edit: let me guess you got those suckers bargain bin on ebay for like 80 bucks each lol

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I guess some people in these strained economical times just aren't able, or even willing to drop a hefty three figure sum on a new card just to gain "tessellation" effects and a reduced power consumption.

And also finding something that would be the same or better than 230gb/s memory bandwidth they already have at a relatively low price point.

Or maybe they don't just really see a need to have a 7970 in every computer in the house as an e-peen.

When instead they can have good performance for less than a ridiculous amount of money while still sitting comfortably in tier 6 on toms hardware graphics hierarchy charts, power consumption aside. Right alongside a 6970 and 7850. :infinity:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Can't say I blame these people for trying to save money and getting similar performance on the cheap, to each their own...It has it's certain advantages anyway...the drivers (unlike the 7K series) are mature and mostly solid after a long time,

And clearly they haven't broken down yet after all these years. (unlike the 7 series littered forum complaints) so the build quality must have been ok. :)

We have a better chance of getting older games to run well as well as newer ones, because of the 5 year driver scope others don't have the luxury of.

If they still weren't doing the job 5 years later, then we would obviously have bought something else by now and moved on...driver support aside.

Tri-fire was always the sweet spot for 4K in any case. Quadfire is a bit of an overkill with too much overhead.

There are scaling issues and negative scaling problems across any series and from driver to driver, it's not only isolated to 4K.

And we don't suffer half as much from the micro-stuttering and frame latency issues floating around atm. I know i'm going to be running mine till the wheels fall off for most of these reasons.. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013