Samsung launches Galaxy S IV on March 14th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Galaxy S IV model will heat up competition in the crucial U.S. mobile phone market, where Apple surpassed Samsung Electronics as the top mobile phone seller for the first time in the fourth quarte...

Samsung launches Galaxy S IV on March 14th

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I plan to upgrade to this, i had my S2 more than 6 months now on a 18 month contract so perhaps in a couple months time or so. 2GB of RAM that's excellent.

3. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    But the SGS3 has a removable battery too!
    That's why I was able to replace the original battery with a heavy-duty one, and fit a replacement back in order to allow for a larger battery. :)

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    as i dont like Samsung Plastic body design, i still keep my eyes on S4. Hope to see a really nice design with quality body material please.

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The new HTC One might be in your interest since the body is entirely made out of aluminium and is the first phone to be ever constructed in such a way.

What's the S4 made out of?

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    No idea. i think there is no information about it.

and yes iam also keeping an eye on HTC ONE. it is like a big iphone 5 design. wich is nice. but too big? dont know without holding it myself.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No exynos or amoled?

:/

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Exynos was too hot and honestly until they fix AMOLED's power problem with white I'd rather have LCD -- especially with the latest holo white craze that apps seem to be heading.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Depends, they could always go the Tegra 4i route and downclock the A15 cores to manage the thermal envelope.

That being said, I'm happy that my S4 Pro is not going to be obsolete this generation as much as I thought with everyone going the 600 route.

10. nicktrance

nicktrance Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Seems like the HTC One vw S4 battle will be a much closer one this year, I'm just hoping Samsung doesn't pull and iPhone 4S and keep the design almost unchanged as some (probably fake) leaks suggest.

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Tegra 4i is not an A15. Tegra 4i is A9r4. The A15s in the Tegra 4 are too big for a smartphone, its a tablet processor.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oops, you're right.

I was thinking of the comments of downclocking Exynos based on the Tegra 4's fifth downclocked A15 core.

13. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    so is the snapdragon faster than the exynos octa core?

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Around the same. The Krait core in the S4 is 3.3 DMIPS/MHz, the A15 is 3.5 DMIPS/MHz and I have no idea what the Krait 300 (Snapdragon 600) is going to be, but figure around the same or faster then an A15 in the off guess based on the improvements listed (20%-30% improvements).

The Adreno (Radeon respelled) 330 is going to be the interesting part for the Snapdragon 800, rumors are floating around of over a 50% increase in performance and 2x increase in compute performance.

15. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I have had my S1 plus for a year and gonna keep this way next 3-4y.
    Updating phone all the time is just "silly" stupid "silly" :3eyes:

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Anyways, with all these Android phones, I just wish Google would force all their OEM partners and carriers to follow an update schedule so we can all be on the same page.

It's ridiculous that 83%+ (official statistic) of IOS phones are running the latest version; while on Android's side only 1.4% of devices are running 4.2 and only a mere 13.6% of devices are running 4.1., yet over 45.6% of Android devices are still running the outdated 2.3 Gingerbread.

It's this fragmentation that makes being on Android a horrible headache. Google really needs to enforce an update regime similar to Apple and Microsoft.

Just look at this mess:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Updating OS has been made damn hard.. Unless buying a phone once a year.
    I woud love to update my "****ty" 2.something to 4.something. But im an idiot and i cant. =)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But it shouldn't be.

Apple and Microsoft both manage to accomplish this; hell, even Google's own "Nexus" devices manage to do this.

It's the only reason I bought a Nexus 4; if I had to put up with the update and "sense" and other layers nonsense from carriers, I would just go with Apple and be done with it. I shouldn't have to root my device and void my warranty just to be updated with the latest security and bug patches.

What's also bad is that Google doesn't give a baseline for each generation for devs to target as minimum ground, Microsoft and Apple both do this. I remember reading an interview with a small developer, he said that he has received bug reports from 2,300 unique devices, how the hell are you supposed to deal with something like that?

Google is going to need to address this sooner or later, I personally hope it's sooner with Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0) this May.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And just for comparisons sake, just look at iOS fragmentation compared to Android fragmentation:

iOS:
    [​IMG]

Android:
    [​IMG]

20. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    I am fine with my brand new BlackBerry Z10 :D awesome OS