Samsung S8

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by WhiteLightning, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I am so sad about back side fingerprint scanner. It is so hard to use it. Especially when your phone is lying just there. Give me that refurbished note 7 please.

But I accept screen size is very good. Multi tasking is far better now on s8 series. Well done.

And yet again Fingerprint magnet body..why? why? why?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Not impressive in the slightest, my mate 9 will stomp on it in terms of CPU and battery performance, heck DVFS is still there which means, you can never use your amazing phone speed to it's fullest, been always like that, throttle on purpose...

S8 could have been much better, S7 camera at normal light was just ok in my opinion, low light was great, battery life was great but it will probably suffer now on intensive runs, unknown DAC quality, no stereo speakers....

3. Yes, there is definitely a limit, but it's not relevant here because VR users want as much DPI as possible. It is kinda understandable. Still it would be nice to know the DPI limit of human vision for VR usage, where your phone is only a few cm (like 5cm to be more precise) from your eyes.

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    personal opinion i guess, depends on usage screen sizes can be useful
    with nougat, it have function multi-windows, so its not ridiculous as bigger size can mean better windows view

you should provide screenshot of battery usage with each resolution
    whether low resolution giving lower battery usage or not

s7 with nougat update default the display to 1080p(full hd) instead 1440p
    but many said it more for performance (ie. animation etc.) rather improving battery life

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    https://youtu.be/4I5Q3UXkGd0

This video here does a good job explaining a few things about our eyes it also has a couple of links below which can further support what he is saying. Good watch/read if you have the time. Though I agree I don't know if there is a different ppi for VR as most studies are done from about a foot away where we would normally have our phones

6. There is a difference. And big one. The optics used in VR headsets are a bit like magnifier glass. You can see every pixel pretty clearly. Sure it depends on the optics used, but even S7+GearVR doesn't have enough PPI. So a proper study would be nice, shame I didn't find any.

7. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Paid 650euros exactly 1 year ago for my S7E. And its staying with me a long it works!

And I said this comes from a hardcore Note fan owning SGN phones since 2011.

But I'm super excited about readiing about S8/S8+ when it launches!

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah, but the good thing is they kept s8 bellow 145mm, actually its 140mm and 2mm smaller then s7.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's not that big though, the further away from a square the screen is, the smaller the surface area is relative to the diagonal measurement. This screen is much smaller than a 16:9 screen with the same diagonal measurement.

10. Dianeallen

Dianeallen Guest

GPU:
    1tb
    I agree. Design is good but the camera is a disappointment.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'll get mine the day after tomorrow so I can let you know if it's good or bad.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Not impressed by any S8, awful battery life, get all the greatest features just to have average battery life, meh.

Mine Mate 9 battery life is phenomenal, while being performance monster without throttling on purpose, so much for so little.

14. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    So how long does your new S8,s battery last then? :)

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    For once, not sure to jump from a phone to another phone. s7 edge to s8 plus. Lame finger print scanner and sht battery you say?

16. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I will as I've had my trusty S5 for two years so it will be a worthy upgrade

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    S5 finger scanner was ultra lame. S8 is probably more comfy than that.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm waiting for the courier to deliver my S8. Can post impressions this weekend if you're interested.

For the record I'm upgrading from a S6.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Got my unit and so far it's a fairly big difference between the S6 and S8. The screen obviously since it has this peculiar aspect ratio and also the absence of bezels and the hardware button. I'll miss it but it also gives the phone a completely different look.

Nougat is a fairly big change too so it will also take some getting used to. I've only taken a few pictures but the camera seems to be quite good even though it's "only" 12M. Battery will be the big thing to test but so far it's decent.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    [​IMG]
    7.94% is now "much smaller"?