i7-920 is stable at 20 x 190 BLCK but not 19 x 200 BCLK, why?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Darren Hodgson, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have a Thermaltake Frio cooler with two fans running at 2,000 rpm (not the full speed as that is extremely noisy) as well as five other case fans, three of them 20 cm ones. I guess it's the 1.3250 V VCore that is the reason for the high temperatures, although I admit I haven't checked my PC for dust build up in many months so that may be part of it too.

I'll try your settings over the weekend and give my PC internals a clean out and see how stable that is. Thanks.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you started p95 at 8:42 and your system time is 8:44 are you kidding me? 2 minutes prime stable

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah and he calls his machine stable, MASSIVE LOL.

He cant do any more than 2 mins cause he gets a BSOD and he knows it, Thats why i asked him for proof which he failed to provide.

4. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Dear god, you peoples lack of intelligence is stunning...

"starting workers 20,34" aka thats when the test started.

"Passed test 20,42 - starting test 20,42" aka it finished a test and started a new one...

At 20,44 the test is still running...

Now unless you are seriously bad at math, youll know the answer.

And in case youre as uber stupid as your previous reply would indicate, you can also see on the temps in speedfan how long my cpu has been running at max workload...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    you tool, post a 12 hr prime blend, thats what you should be looking at for stability. lmfao. you cant cus you are not stable:stewpid:

6. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli

You said that i was lying about the said test, then change the subject, cause you could see that you were wrong.

And as ive already stated, i dont test for a freaking whole day, cause its irrelevant for gaming, and would mean that i couldnt game while doing it... and for what? To show 2 interweb morons that my computer is already game stabile, which i already know Myself? No, i dont think so.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    change what subject? the subject is single digit minutes stress tests provided by you to prove stability. vault of fail material

8. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    I know youre an american, but please try to not be that retarded...

Test started 20.34, screenshot taken while test is still running at 20.44 - is that single digit? I think you need to go back to school...

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I look forward to your Lynx 3 second stable screenshot and IBT at least 2.5 seconds is my guess

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    This is the first time I've had to hand out an infraction in this section for like, well, forever. I'm in a good mood today so you've got the minimum possible infraction there is, but please avoid posting insults directed at members of this forum as it's not accepted here, thanks.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I seem to have my PC running stable at 3.65 GHz with 1.275 V for VCore and QPI/DRAM and a CPU PLL of 1.8 V using a multiplier of 20 and a BCLK of 183. I left Prime95 running for just over two hours (max. temp was 82 C) and played Crysis 3 for about three hours in total (temps are 66-72 C across all four cores). I have hyperthreading enabled.

I think that will do for now until I upgrade my CPU in the summer.

12. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Darren my chip did the same thing. Ran at 4ghz for the longest time now. I'm down to 3.6. I can do 3.7 but anything higher and she BSOD.

If she dies I'll get a 930, replace my 5870s and follow veterans route which is much cheaper. I don't see myself with Haswell and if Intel decides to microsoft broadwell I'll move to AMD.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If it crashes again up the vcore abit, still quite low for a 920 c0 which is good, Other than that good stuff:)

@Rogue is you go the 930 route make sure you ask what the batch number is before you buy to see how much oc potential it may have.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Veteran - Although I've been playing Crysis 3 on maxed settings at 1920x1200 and TXAA Medium without any crashes or whatnot at 3.65 GHz, I'm experiencing a high number of complete freezes while playing Tomb Raider, again on maxed settings with tessellation and TressFX hair enabled as well as 2xSSAA.

Now I know this game is buggy with NVIDIA cards but I've had a freeze even with tessellation and TressFX off but it is difficult to know whether those are the result of unoptimized drivers or because my CPU overclock is still unstable. So for now I've dropped the speed down to 3.33 GHz (21 x 160 BCLK) and I've set the VCore, QPI/DRAM and CPU PLL to Auto as I believe that is a very safe and very easy overclock for the Core i7-920. I'll see if the game still continues to freeze over the weekend at this speed with tessellation and TressFX hair off. If not then I'll re-enable tessellation with the Hitman Absolution SLI flag and test that.

I hate all this 'beta' testing to be honest... I just want to play my games without all this hassle and freezing! I'm actually at the point now where I can't wait for Haswell to be released as I think my CPU, because it old now, is getting unstable for overclocking.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    By the way, is there anything wrong with overclocking on auto voltages? I know from reading around that 3.2 GHz is usually fine on Auto but what about 3.6 GHz or 3.8 GHz. I presume that the only risk is from high temperatures since auto settings are not going to exceed the safe limits defined by the BIOS? My understanding is that manual voltage settings are used to keep temperatures down when pushing the CPU for high overclocks.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Auto voltages are fine at low OC's but once you start hitting the max threshold of your cpu, leaving things on auto can cause instability.

What you could do is run everything at stock on auto and then try tomb raider, if it works ok then you know that pc is unstable at the 3.6 oc.

If it crashes then its probably a driver issue, Just because some other people dont get driver issues with a certain driver it dont mean that you wont, everyones hardware is different.

It could also be your ram thats causing it to freeze.

Which could be not enough volts going into ram or ram has become faulty over time.

It seems that your cpu threshold is around 3.6 so when you oc to this you need to make sure that most auto settings are set manually.

Settings like these also can help with a stable oc......
    C1E Support - disable
    Hardware prefetcher - enable
    Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable
    Intel Virtualization tech - disable
    CPU TM Function - disable
    Execute Disabled bit - disable
    Intel HT Technology - enable
    Active Processor Cores - all
    A20M - disabled
    Intel Speedstep tech - disable
    Intel Turbo Mode tech - disable
    Intel C-STATE tech - disabled
    Turbo power limit - disabled
    CPU differential amplitude - 800mv
    IOH voltage - 1.19
    ICH voltage- 1.15
    CPU clock skew - 300
    IOH clock skew - 300

My advice is run all at stock on auto then repost here with the results and we will take it from there:)

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks Veteran. I'll try that.

I was just concerned that I was getting *only* system freezes that required a hard reset and not crashes to the desktop with Tomb Raider. However, a few people in the Tomb Raider thread have also said they have the same system freezes with this game so it looks in all likelihood that it is the game and not the CPU after all.

As for the RAM, I upgraded fro 3 x 2 GB of 1,333 MHz memory to 3 x 4 GB of 1,600 MHz RAM last year and it is rated for 1.5 V @ 9, 9, 9, 24, 2T which is what I run it at. The first batch of RAM I had though has a faulty stick so Amazon had to send me another. It has been working fine as far as I know and passes the memory tests without errors. I've never overclocked this memory either, unlike my 1,333 MHz RAM which CyberPower set to run at 1,600 MHz @ 1.58 V when I had a 3.2 GHz overclock!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You ram will oc as you oc the cpu using the bclk unless you oc your ram only by using the xmp profile which i think is pointless.

May as well oc all of it Cpu, Ram, The lot.

Also you can kick your ram voltage up to 1.66 and be totally safe on x58 although this will take it into the redzone, I just leave mine at 1.65v its been like that for ages around 2 and half years or more.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    @dragam grats on your new custom title under your screen name. Well deserved

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The 920 looks like quite a tricky CPU to overclock, unless you have the D0 stepping. Looks like a nice challenge though.