ASUS GTX 580 Matrix Platinum review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We received that big'ass Republic of Gamers ROG MATRIX GTX 580 graphics card from ASUS. The Republic of Gamers MATRIX GTX 580 Platinum graphics card is powered by an extensive 19-phase VRM circuitry...

More...

2. kkaddu

kkaddu Member

GPU:
    MSI 580 lightning
    Excellent review

Thank you soo much for the comparison btn these after market cooler type 580s.
    One of the most objective reviews i've seen around.
    Seems like the Matrix is.... not bad. But not the best either.

3. GandraZz

GandraZz Guest

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    Nice temps and noise.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Surely you can get the same coolness with a 2 slot cooler. Looks pretty cool though.

5. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Excellent review and card. ASUS had better be careful not to price these too much below a GTX590 though.

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    About that triple slot design, IMO it's better than the dual slot design of both MSI Lightning and Gigabyte SOC.

For starters, I have reason to believe the triple slot designs still produce a little less noise under load when overclocked to about 930 MHz on the core or higher. I agree a reference design card can achieve similar overclock results but it would be extremely noisy unless you are willing to spend more on water cooling components than most people.

Secondly, the triple slot design can help to bring down case temperature. As we all know, the MSI Lightning and Gigabyte SOC blow part of their hot air inside the case and the triple slot cards from Asus are no exception to this. However, the triple slot design adds more breathing space between the fans and PCB. This means the hot air that's blown inside the case is blown inside at lower pressure levels.

In other words, it disrupts front-to-back case airflow considerably less. As a direct result from this, the hot air is given less chance to spread throughout the entire case. On top of this, hot air tends to rise like a balloon filled with hot air does. So with these types of graphics cards installed right above oneanother in SLI, with one empty slot between them, you'd obviously need all the front-to-back case airflow the world can give you - not only to prevent that hot exhaust of the card at the bottom from rising into the intakes of the card above it, but also to push it outside the case rapidly before it spreads. Looking at those three 140 mm front intakes on that freshly announced Lian Li PC-P80N case, it seems to me at least someone's got the message right.

Two triple slot cards with one empty slot between them makes a total of seven slots. The PC-P80N has eleven. A triple slot card, an empty slot, a triple slot card, and empty slot, a triple slot card. Now all we still need waiting for is a new motherboard design. :nerd:

7. kkaddu

kkaddu Member

GPU:
    MSI 580 lightning
    "Now all we still need waiting for is a new motherboard design. " LOL

Thats one way to do it

8. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Dear lord, that makes my Shaman look small (well slightly smaller :D).

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    good deal :nerd:
    this card comes with all the bells and whisles..

10. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    On the comment about wanting 3GB of memory. It was proven on another site that 3GB's of memory had no performance gain at all, even at 2560x1600. Let me look, ah yes here it is :http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=30754.

Pretty nice card even though, I agree, 3 card slot cooler is getting a little ridiculous.

Also great article nontheless

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    It's the increased memory latency. However, 3GB models shine in multi screen setups (pardon the pun)

12. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Touche, I keep forgetting about Multi Screen setups. That would be a good test to see the difference. I want a multiscreen setup :bang:

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm just thoroughly impressed that my 2 year-old 5970 still holds it's own - even against a card that's brand-new, and for the same price (even a little bit less) that I paid 2 years ago.

Overall, the ROG Matrix 580 seems like it's a nice card... too bad it's in the wrong price bracket.

Psychlone

14. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    They didn't! And it looks and works perfectly in my Corsair 700D case with an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme!
    Luckily, our power company here is a co-op.

15. RSharpe

RSharpe Active Member

GPU:
    2 Palit GTX 580 3GB, SLI
    Some of us play at resolutions beyond 2560x1600, and require over 2GB VRAM in some games.

Triple cooler designs are fine for people who only want one videocard, but are totally unsuited for those of use who want SLI.

16. RSharpe

RSharpe Active Member

GPU:
    2 Palit GTX 580 3GB, SLI
    Any reviewer that fails to test 3GB videocards at less than 5760x1080 has not done a very good job at providing readers with any useful information.