MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 (2013-01-23)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Having problems installing this new version, I have shutdown MSIAB before the install but still getting this error

[​IMG]

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's not "this new version", that's BASICS. Use proper update way. Uninstall->reboot->install.

3. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    That's similar to the problem I had (except I didn't see a warning). Reboot solved it like Unwinder says.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

lol thats not a update then, its a reinstall if I have uninstall first, never had to do that before

Will it delete all my preferences doing that?

5. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    It asks you whether or not you like to keep settings.

Another possibility is to untick the automatic startup option, reboot, then update.

6. Unwinder

It was always that way. i get endless "never had to do it before" on each new version on each feature I did't change, so let me disagree.

7. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Does the installer never recommend to uninstall->reboot before updating to a new version, or do we just fail at reading? I generally just shut down Afterburner, updated it, then start it back up (which is apparently why I never got a warning). At least now I know this is bad, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. Unwinder

It was recommended in the forum 100 times. Almost in each new version thread. And adding recommendations to installer absolutely won't help, 99% of users do fail at reading any messages/eulas/faqs anyway. Let's stop wasting time on useless discussion please.

9. Unwinder

Shutting down an application installing system hooks may still leave hook libraries in use till OS restart. That's official and by design behavior of Windows OS, documented by Microsoft.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

You're more than welcome to disagree but I have been running MSIAB for a long time and definitely never uninstalled a previous version, I just shut it down and installed the new one

Not a big deal really, just explaining about it, if I'd always had to uninstall it first I wouldn't have even posted about the error

11. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Sorry, change of subject.. Love the recent addition of frametime feature. Really handy, thanks for that.

I observe that maintaining a consistent frametime in the OSD can be more helpful than FPS reading for smooth gaming.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  12. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Yay, looks like the rounding error on the GTX 680 Lightning is fixed for the core voltage.
    I can now set it to +100, hit apply, and it actually sits at 100! Thanks Unwinder.

13. Akumajou

Akumajou Banned

GPU:
    R9 290 @ 1115/1485Mhz
    Still no Boost support for Radeon cards?

14. Unwinder

Still no reading skills? use search please. It was repeated several times that due to similar BIOS ID the only supported GHz edition card will be custom MSI 7970 Lightning Boost Edition.

15. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    May I ask if it is possible to use ALT key alone to be the Push-To-Talk hotkey?

16. Unwinder

Some news on development:

During the last couple weeks I was working hard in cooperation with NVIDIA and EVGA to add support for upcoming NVIDIA hardware in EVGA Precision. There are some new overclocking related features to be announced soon, so it must be exposed in user interface of all overclocking tools, it is rather major skin and functionality upgrade. Now that part of work is almost done and I'm implementing similar technologies in MSI Afterburner v2.4.0. NVIDIA wants to ensure that most of overclocking tools are working properly when new hardware is launched, so the reviewes can have up to date and working software approved and tested by NVIDIA with hardware right before the announce. That's a good example of PROPER support provided to vendors by green side when announcing new hardware.
    It is sad to compare it with ZERO software development resources invested into software support by red side during new hardware launch. Unofficial overclocking, flickering after applying new clocks, ULPS isses, BSODs etc, etc, etc. And AMD fanboys blaming third party tools for issues, when issues in fact are isolated in AMD driver.

"All those 3rd party program create issues.

We dont WANT to use them."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  17. Unwinder

Nope, sorry. Standard hotkey handler and editor doesn't allow it to be used alone as hotkey. CTRL, ALT and SHIFT can be used as modifiers only.

Rewriting those standard things doesn't worth the efforts and adds more possible compatibility issues in exchange of virtually nothing. So it won't happen.

18. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    Sad to know about this, ALT key is the only key left to use as PTT key in Teamspeak 3(because ALT key can be push by thumb finger alone, without leaving my fingers on WASD keys), all other keys are used by Battlefield 3.:bang:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  19. Unwinder

Sorry again, but you have to live with that.

20. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Over the last few years that has been a major reason I continue to go with NVIDIA products, because unlike AMD they actually value your work and input.