Catalyst 10.4a Preview

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KyleStilkey, Apr 21, 2010.

1. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    @Sneakers, have you tried restoring your system to before you uninstalled your previous drivers? be sure to merge any deleted registry items if you ran Ccleaner after the uninstallation before you restore.

Then, uninstall w/o driver sweeper and try installing the new ones...

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So these 10.4a preview drivers are newer than the 10.4 previews ones I currently have installed, even though they don't seem to contain any new bug fixes or features?

Might as well try them to see if it fixes the polygon corruption issues I'm experiencing in SBK 09, GRID, DiRT 1, SHIFT and Call of Juarez: BiB with CrossFireX. Strange how it's only those games though, everything else, some 30 odd games work fine. It's not like those games are old either plus I've heard that they *should* work with CrossFireX so god only knows why they don't on my machine!

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Some people, including WhiteLightning, say you shouldn't use Driver Sweeper with ATI graphics card as they can cause problems. There again, we really shouldn't have to use third-party software to clean up problems left by dodgy uninstallers that should be coded better in the first place. :3eyes:

4. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Who's to say ATIs installer is dodgy? Nobody really knows why they use sweepers other than somebody on the internet said they should do.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I personally find ATI's installer to be absolutely excellent, much better than NVIDIA's in fact, as it shows which components and drivers you have installed and which need updating so it is very informative. I like that. It also seems to do a very good job of uninstalling drivers so I've never needed to use Driver Sweeper.

6. sutyi

sutyi Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 OC 2GB
    BFBC2 loads in blisteringly fast now, but I get weird stuttering on the first ~20-30secs or so.

7. sanel

sanel Member Guru

GPU:
    6850 Cycl 1gb @ 940, 1200
    i think 960 is max for our xfx cards.. i was suprised when you had your abouve 1000 as mine never got higher then 960:p

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The official 10.4 WHQL drivers must be just around the corner but what's the betting that they end being an earlier set than these 10.4a previews? Or do you think these 10.4a previews will end up being the 10.4 WHQL ones? (Was the 10.3 WHQL driver the same as the 10.3a one?)

9. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    Hi, I think the latest app profiles are 10.3a, did u install the lastest ati app profiles with this 10.4a?

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How do these application profiles work by the way?

Say, I installed the 7/4/2010 one with the 10.3 WHQL drivers then installed the new 10.4a preview drivers, would the new drivers overwrite the older profiles or does it make incremental changes so you always have the latest ones?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a separate file but I don't know how it integrates, perhaps uses the most recent date or something so the new Bad Company 2 profile gets loaded alongside the profile for Just Cause 2 only in the profile app at the moment?
    (Along with Metro 2033 added in 10.4 "preview" - more like beta - and these A drivers, both probably newer than 10.4 final due to WHQL certification process time so end of March or very early April for 10.4 WHQL and 19th April for these I guess it'll be, stability might be better though and I guess they'll work in these BC2 changes in the final drivers as it would be a bit funny for a preview 10.4 version to have something important like that compared to the somewhat minor Eyefinity improvements 10.3a had over 10.3 WHQL - Though 10.3b came shortly afterwards as did OGL 4.0 test drivers.)

12. Garaa

Garaa Active Member

GPU:
    AsusDKTOP4870 @ 815/1100
    Well first off thanks for the post bro,

I just installed the drivers and loaded up BC2. Loaded up very quick without any delays, also surprisingly i got a 10 fps increase in Crysis on 2048x1152 lol... so am happy and cant complain !

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    10.3 preview ended up faster than 10.3 WHQL :)

14. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    Okay, will be giving these a try for my 4890s. How to handle the ATI Profile set up. Should I remove it, then remove the drivers, and install these new ones. Or something else..? Have these profiles "ATI_Catalyst_AppProfiles_Apr7".

15. leonmbj

leonmbj Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5850 1GB(OC)
    I use Driver Sweeper in Administrative mode and never had problems

16. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I did an express uninstall of everything, the April 7th app profiles where still installed after a reboot, I just uninstalled them and installed the drivers, rebooted and all is fine here. Though I uninstalled everything else because I was using the leaked 10.5 drivers. Normally I just install them over the old drivers.

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Its not, drivers before this one I always used 1ghz, this one did something to stop me from using it again. 960 isnt the max theres other people with 1ghz XFX's as well.

18. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
    There are a few changes/additions to CCC tray options under 3D settings.

Direct3D Settings> Enable geometry instancing...... anyone know exactly what this does?

Adaptive anti-aliasing> enable/disable............

Anisotropic filtering> Application Managed
    x2
    x4
    x6
    x8
    x16
    HQ AF
    Hmmm.. None of these options will work now that I'm messing with them.

*Edit* Strange. After reboot none of those options are there.... /boggle:3eyes:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  19. alex133

alex133 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
    Had the same problem.

Went back to 10.3 Preview.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    HQ or high-quality AF was part of earlier Catalyst drivers for ATI 1900 / 2900 or so (Back with Oblivion or so around 2006 or 2007), used to filter the textures better than the algorithm used back then but ATI has improved this (With ATI 5000 series being angle-independent.) so the option was removed.
    (ATI Tray Tools can still enable it whatever it might do and I think it's still part of the registry information by default, might even be enabled.)

EDIT: Same with Geometry Instancing (Back with that red car demo for ATI Radeon 9000 series.) and even a form of basic tesselation.