A tribute to the best looking game ever - Crysis

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TDurden, May 18, 2017.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Sucks that even if you install it through Origin, you have to manually install the patches. Origin should update the game on it's own. Just... tedium.

2. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Best PC games era:
    2007-2014

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Witcher 3 came out in 2015 so...

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Crysis is so fun... I used to love redoing the level where you get to drive the car for the first time and driving it into the buildings over and over again haha

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    when i got the game in 2007, i had a pentium D 3.0 ghz, 2 gb ram, gt 7300 nvidia, game ran at 25_28 fps at 1024*768 loool

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Funny everyone drools over Witcher 3 but i don´t think it´s anything special. It´s a good or very good game but nothing else, for me of course.

As for the best PC games era i think it was before 2007...

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The era of Battlefield 1942 and its various mod, Desert Combat for instance, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault... LAN games and dedicated servers. I might be biased because this is truly my childhood passion but i feel this early 2000s /2003 era had something special on PC.

It was before the Dark time, before the Empire of console domination and nowadays smartphone domination.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i agree , the best modern pc gaming era was btw 2002 and 2007 i would say, so many great shooters and pc games in that period

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    2004... FarCry, Painkiller, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

But, for me, 2011 was one of the best years in gaming.
    Dead Space 2, BulletStorm, RAGE, Skyrim, Serious Sam 3, DX: Human Revolution... Arkham City, Portal 2, Uncharted 3, Saints Row: The Third, Dead Island...
    And there were many other titles as well. Truly a great year.

2007 was okay, but.. I was disappointed by BioShock. Crysis was okay. And STALKER was really cool.
    But really, none of the big releases that year really "wowed" me.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This thread 'inspired' me to load up both Crysis and Crysis Warhead on my new GTX 1080 Ti last night. Both games were originally installed from disc and I used a NoDVD hack to bypass the need to use said disc to play the game. Yesterday, I decided to just install the games from Origin, which simply detected both games on my D drive, verified and updated them and I was able to play them both, including having all my saves uploaded to EA's cloud service.

However, while Crysis Warhead's 64bit executable loads fine, the one for Crysis doesn't and causes the game to crash during loading before I even see any of the loading screens. The 32bit executable for Crysis works fine though running the game in DX10 (as is Warhead).

Does anyone know why Warhead 64bit works fine but not Crysis? They both use the same engine as far as I am aware (Warhead is basically a standalone expansion). I've seen various posts about getting the 64bit executable working for the Steam version (since it only installs with the 32bit version) but the Origin version, like the disc version, includes both the 32bit and 64bit files.

P.S. I still think the game (Crysis) looks fantastic and running it at 4K with maxed out settings and 4xMSAA yet still getting pretty much a locked 60 fps (bar autosave/checkpoint hitches) is a real eye opener when I think back to 2008 when I could barely run the game above 20 fps on medium settings at 1024x768!!!

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It *is* special even if you don't appreciate the gameplay. For starters, it raised the bar for what open world RPGs should be like in terms of story-telling, quests, voice-acting, writing and cinematic direction. It's the most immersive game I have ever played and even now it still amazes me how much attention to detail the game has and how superb all its quests are. There literally is no filler here like your average BioWare or UbiSoft game has yet the game, even without the excellent expansions, has tons of content and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

It is even more amazing that the game came from a relatively small studio, one that managed to shame Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series (great games for sure but definitely not in the same league as The Witcher 3 even though they clearly inspired CDProjekt Red when they created it).

12. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Witcher 3 is the most beautiful game I have played in over 20 years of gaming. I am not really into the combat but the detective work and the way Geralt's voice over while looking for clues is right out of my favorite game of all time, LA Noire.

13. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    PC is better than ever. It's a much bigger and profitable market than it used to be.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    1.) People hold this games nuts too hard. Crysis looked way watered down compared to it's bullshots in 2007 and plenty of people complained. But like everything with humans, revisionist history happens accordingly. The game was boring and basically an interactive tech demo. If it was as amazing as people make it out to be today, it would have done better, sales-wise. The game looked great for it's time. By no means is it even in the same breath as titles that are even on consoles, like Horizon Dawn, much less PC games...

2.) My favorite year for PC was 2004. FarCry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3.

3.) PC may be healthier in terms of sales, but until it gets some AAA exclusives, it will never be the same. Extremely powerful hardware is gimped by console ports or low level graphics hooked on iap's. What's impressive about Crysis is it was a PC exclusive for it's time, as was it's expansion, ironically, thanks to Cervi crying piracy and epic games following a long, rather than both admit their games at the time sucked (UT3 from epic) they went on a tangent of piracy claims and PC hasn't gotten jack squat in the way of high-profile exclusives since. Aside from Blizzard, who ports to console rather than from console to PC. And they seem to be very successful...hmmm..in the end Crysis almost pisses me off now, because of the piracy fuel it added to the fire. A stigma that PC has yet to wash off even as the platform has become extremely financially lucrative.

15. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    Completely agree with this, in fact I loaded it up and started a new playthrough today. Missed frolicking about in Novigrad.

I'd have to agree with the general consensus in this thread though, PC gaming's golden era was in the 2000s.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Having been some time since I had played them, I reinstalled Crysis today.
    Downloaded it through Origin, then... hunted down the patches and installed them. And started playing.

While still very visually impressive, it doesn't have the "WOW" factor it used to. Specially when it comes to character models and animations.
    But, I'm going to keep playing just... to see how it holds up. I remember really enjoying the first half, the second through... about fifth levels were great.

Would be nice if I could add Crysis: Warhead to Origin.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i agree with having fun with the first 5 levels, because of the setting and the openness of the area, it feels as ur free to go by land or by water or through the bushes, it's this what makes it fun, this was the first time we get a game with good graphics with sandbox gameplay, that s why many people still hold it as a special game, and it is, it raised the bar of gameplay in the shooter genre, first game to raise the bar was farcry in 2004 with that pc exclusive game, i wish we are still getting aaa games like those, but as people have already mentioned the problem of not having AAA titles for pc,
    i'm happy with battlefield 1 and some of the heavy titles we got lately, but wish to have crysis 4 as AAA title.

18. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Kudos to Crytek.

Anyone have a time machine?
    Bring back the PC developers.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I was never that impressed with how Crysis looked, it might have been because I played it a bit after release so was subjected to people hyping the visuals and the physics to over the top levels.

It was definitely ahead of it's time, but the main reason it looked so good because of the setting, similar to how i thought Lost was a great looking TV show, and the physics started off ok but then annoyed me a few hours in.

It definitely doesn't stand out now though, no idea how anyone can think that, even the mods consist of people looking at rocks with extreme DoF applied lol.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  20. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    This is obviously very subjective.

The first Crysis was extremely impressive at release, and it became a 'standard' for following years. I remember that even when Crysis 2 came out, hardware reviewers in particular were still using the first game for benchmarks (the second too, of course, but the gist is that the first one was never put aside). I haven't played it myself, although I've seen a few gameplay videos on YouTube (so of course, lower resolution mostly and encoding, etc, wouldn't do it proper justice), but Crysis 3 seems to be better-looking than the first, and certainly better than the second. I'm referring to default here, no mods involved (otherwise it's different in all three cases).

However, with this said, I do believe that as far as 'photo-realistic' / 'real-like' / 'gritty' graphics and visual styles goes, that the original Crysis along with Crysis 3 were very recently surpassed by Star Wars: Battlefront. And I suspect that BF2 will look even better than the first. But, as I said... it's very subjective. Still, in retrospect, looking at the first Crysis and understanding what hardware we had at the time and thinking that the developers used that to create that game is mind-blowing. It was definitely far ahead of its time. And, on a side note, I'm probably one of the few select in the minority who actually liked the zero gravity 'alien' level, in fact it just blew my mind (in a positive way). Indeed, overall, a pretty good game with an interesting story and a sense of mystery about the aliens. Then, Crysis 2 came out... oh well.

Last edited: May 20, 2017