The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Are you kidding me? :3eyes:

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nope. Might be because I play comp games and shooters mainly, but the only thing I play on my TV is Hearthstone.

3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    If you're not playing something competitive or with complicated controls that necessitate mouse and keyboard why would you play a game hunched over a little monitor when you can sit more comfortably and play a game on your big ass tv instead? Not to mention that certain games play much better with a gamepad anyways. It's hardly console territory as no console can manage even close to the graphical fidelity of my PC.

Edit: Playing hearthstone on your TV? That's crazy. The only way that makes sense to play that is at the PC or on an iPad.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, as I said, I hardly play games that don't need precise methods of input. I do see how you can play console ports on there, but I'm not sure you need 4K with lacking graphical fidelity of most console ports.

What games are those you play on TV mainly? Because if you tell me I might get why you need 4K for that. Just trying to get why you fancy 4K TV gaming, it probably needs the right games to appeal too.

If you have the right thing to use, Hearthstone works great, I'm using a Logitech K400 thing (picture here). It works pretty much like a controller as it has a left click button at the top left corner of the "keyboard", right hand's thumb does not move a stick but does the trackpad.

5. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I play all kinds of things on the TV. RPGs, Single Player Shooters, Action/Adventure (game types such as Watch Dogs or the Arkham Games), Platformers. Certain RPGs I will play on my monitor, such as MMORPGs or games that arbitrarily feel better with M&K/B like Fallout or isometric RPGs such as Divinity: Original Sin or Diablo. Competitive shooters I play with M&K/B at the monitor (I will frequently play the single player campaign on the TV but the multiplayer aspect at the monitor with M&K/B). MOBAs and RTS I play with M&K/B at the monitor, although those 2 genres I play infrequently.

I'm of the opinion that any game--unless it's 8 bit art or something--looks way better at 4K. It's night and day to me. I just can't get past all the aliasing, even at 1440p.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Probably I should give the RPGs on the TV a chance, currently I'm playing Shadowrun games, might work on the TV too. But as my TV's 10 years old and "only" 1080/60 I probably won't get that 4K eye candy any time soon, maybe that's why I prefer my 1440p computer monitor. Might have to get that old Xbox controller hooked up again.

7. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I mostly play my games at 1080p on my tv because of the lack of graphical power thus far, it's nice to tool around in them a bit at 4K though even if the frame rate is bad. It's still pretty great at 1080p on the TV though because it's blown up to a big screen. The Witcher 3 on my TV was glorious. I can see however that the picture quality on a 10 year old TV may not be great though, from a technological standpoint and because the picture quality has almost certainly faded after that long.

8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Nevermind....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I recently got a 65" 4K TV and wanted to try out all games I could on it (for obvious reasons) but I still would never play shooters, MMOs or anything else that specifically requires M&Kb on a TV, even though I could play with my wireless M&Kb. Games that have good gamepad control is a totally different story, for example I finished Tomb Raider a few weeks ago sitting in my couch with a Xbox One Wireless controller. What a ride! I've also started playing games like Dragon Age Inquisition, Mad Max and why not the Batman games on the TV. Just as long as I get smooth 60fps I prefer sitting in front of the TV. Other games would be racing (e.g. Forza 3) and of course platforming games (Ori and the Blind Forest). Witcher 3 on the other hand runs much better on my normal screen (since the 1080 cant handle it in 4K).

Maybe you don't play adventure games, racing or platforming? :)

10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    You can still run it at 1080p on your 4K screen and then you're playing an awesome looking game on a giant screen which is a pretty great experience.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yep that pretty much nails it. Haven't played any racing games in the past, platforming was also a thing I played on consoles but haven't really done since I've laid my PS3 to rest, and adventure games largely depends on which one.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Reportedly Launching In March, Currently In Production

http://wccf tech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-launching-march/

13. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    $999 but i have a feeling it won't be name as Ti anymore. new ****!

14. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I'll take 2 EVGA Hybrid's FTW Edition...

Was seriously looking into the 1080 Hybrid FTW edition but I said nah, not worth it, the 1080ti is the one to get, I am holding off.

15. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    Since I'm not gaming at anything higher than 1080p and 1440p in the future, I'm staying with my 1080 :D

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Have to say I'm not really excited for this. It's just a gimped Titan. I can't wait for the next generation of nvidia cards to surface. Hopefully with enough power to hold 60fps at 2160p on high/ultra settings on a single card.

17. StarvinMarvinDK

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    No doubt the performance is gonna be through the roof, but anything short of benchmarks - it's completely overkill performance by normal standards.

Is there any game out there that can utilize such immense power?

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Plenty :infinity: :nerd: :thumbup:

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Nice!! I've been soo annoyed with SLI lately. I think I'll be selling both these 1080s and just get a single 1080Ti!

20. StarvinMarvinDK

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    Also to the visible eye?

Or is it just numbers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.