Intel Haswell to be easier to overclock

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Some leaked PDF files that hbave been shown on IDF make it clear that Haswell will be easier to overclock. Intel said improvements have been made to the way you can overclock Haswell, making the proc...

Intel Haswell to be easier to overclock

2. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Wasn't the Haswell supposed to be soldered to the motherboard and with no socket?

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    nope.

On topic;

Im aiming for 5.2Ghz :p

125mhz x 42multi

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nope.

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Only low end parts were rumored to be BGA sockets, then Intel officially killed the rumor.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That was Broadwell not Haswell and AFAIK they are still doing it for low end parts.

7. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I will wait for officiall benchmarks first to see how good they will overclock assuming they will be using fluxless solder this time and not that cheap thermal compound like ivy,to be honest i personally think they might have intentionally used that cheap thermal paste on ivy to limit it's oc potential so more consumers coming let's say from Sandy bridge will be more tempted to upgrade to the new platform and not seeing it as a side grade, just imagine an Ivy bridge running at 5ghz on air performing similarly with a Haswell at let's say 4.6ghz (just an example) that for me is more of a side grade then an upgrade,and limiting the mainstream cpu's to 4 cores with HT,i know that they have practically no competition from Amd apart from the integrated GPU
    but i would like to see at least 6 core parts with HT,before upgrading again....
    Just my thoughts.............

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Nice conspiracy theory. The reason they used paste was because they didn't have a feasible way to use fluxless solder to bind the new smaller 22nm die with the heat spreader. It was a technical limitation at the time, and had nothing to do with cost savings.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Bad temperatures are due to the contact between the IHS and die, not because of the TIM, but because of the black adhesive they used.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, because Intel sabotages all its parts for the 0.1% of people that overclock their CPU.

How did you ever figure out Intel's master plan?

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Isnt each generation easier to OC ?

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    yeap both technically and as an unofficial marketing rule even subconsciously you tend to believe that.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    how much easier can oc be than socket 1155? OC these chips is a huge snoozefest it so easy already, no real sense of accomplishment over previous intel chips

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Good, good. Higher OCs will compensate a little bit for the lack of proper increases in frequency and clock for clock performance over the last FIVE YEARS. Welcome to the lack of competition.

Honestly it feels like 1 step above Nehalem, and those were released in 2008 weren't they? In fact I'm still using a Nehalem chip and I'm not the only one.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    more like 3 steps, SB and IB are steps 1 and 2

16. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Jeez we are just discussing here
    there's no need to be ironic by saying "How did I ever figure out Intel's master plan?" (sorry if i got this definition wrong as my English is not 100% perfect) I am sure you know that all cpu's go through various stress testing and quality control to ensure 100% stability at stock clocks and it is already a well known fact that Intel cheaped out with a bad choice of using tim instead of fluxless solder for Ivy bridge thus limiting it greatly from it's overclocking potential due to the heat .And i am not saying Intel sabotages all its parts for the 0.1% of people that overclock their CPU i was referring to Ivy bridge only.
    Please let's just stay on topic about Haswell I really hope it turns out to be a great cpu with great overclocking headroom.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I said feels. And it indeed feels like 1 evolutionary step to me. The real world performance difference per step was not all that much.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It was sarcasm, don't take it personally.

Personally, I feel that we should be grateful to Intel for continuing to make an SKU that is O/C. Especially considering its market leading position.

19. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Sorry about that and don,t worry i am not taking it personally :)

Yeh i feel the same about Intel with practically no competition for per core performance which matters the most I would love to see what oc this chip can achieve with high end air cooling 6ghz????:)

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'd be happy if 5.5GHz (maybe 125x44?) is possible with standard cooling like high end air or those crappy self contained water coolers. I'd settle for 5.