Microsoft Surface users complain about cover cracks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Electronista noticed that early buyers are complaining about several issues. One of the most widely heard complaints is that the Touch Cover attachment is prone to splitting and fraying, Electronista ...

Microsoft Surface users complain about cover cracks

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At least the tablet isn't RROD'ing.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It isn't the best start they could wish for.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

I see what you did there. :nerd:

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    That! :nerd:

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Would not it make skating on it a little bit dangerous ?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    another peice of MS hardware breaking or failing?, Shockin there is reason why i didnt buy 360 again after it rrod 2 systems, And a reason why i stopped buy there mouses, they all failled with in a years time. I got 5 free mouse replacements over the coarse of 4 years from them cause there mouse died with in years time. and after the 5 replacement died I said screw MS hardware and went to Logitech and couldn't be happier.

I think if it actually did that I would hilarious. Which would further prove my point that MS cant make hardware. Original Xbox on other hand was made like brick and definitely didnt have the failure rate of most there other hardware.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Other articles I read indicate this issue has been blown way out of proportion. Apparently only 2 actual users had this issue and others not confirmed as real faults and MS is offering to replace them, but who knows, no doubt MS will correct the issue with a new material soon.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How can Microsoft not make hardware? Aside from the the the RROD and a few disk scratch issues, what other Microsoft hardware was plagued with issues? Pretty much all their keyboards and mice are solid products. The original Xbox was definitely solid. The Zune devices are also considered great products in terms of build quality. Their webcams and stuff have always been decent. The Kinect is certainly catching on in multiple ways.

So aside from the RROD, which was caused due to a EU mandate about lead free solder, which also effected Nvidia graphics cards at the time; and disk scratching, which most was attributed to people moving the console while the diisk was spinning, what other hardware has Microsoft failed on?

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Every piece of hardware i ever owned from microsoft that is how

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Well actually a guy testing the tablet at Neowin had the problem.

http://www.neowin.net/news/a-week-with-the-surface-rt

You know what you say is what people said about the RRoD for all the time before MS admitted there was a problem.

I think one of my friend was already on his 3rd xbox 360 when MS extended the warranty and admitted there was a problem. I was lucky enough that mine did RRoD after MS extended the warranty.

I don't say it is widespread just that it might be too soon to draw any conclusion either way.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    You did not need to move the console a lot for the disk to scrath though.

It happened to me with my Halo 3 disc at a lan party. I moved the console a little bit slowly and gently to make some room while the disc was spinning and bang it started to make a lot of sound and spin weirdly. Luckly i removed the disc before it was too much damaged and only the single player was affacted by the big deep scratch i was still able to play all the multiplayers maps.

Still to be honest a disc reader should be able to handle some gentle movement specially in a console.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    SegaCD was bad about that too. Now the very first original Playstation, it had a beast of a CD drive as far as solid and no issues with it harming discs, it could read some pretty badly scratched up discs too. I loved that thing.
    Dreamcast was also good top loader as was Turbo Duo or whatever it was called.

imo, I think top loading drives are best. Seems they can take more abuse in general and easy to clean. I'd rather a new console have that than a slot or tray loader. More cost friendly too.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I started to read his review...then I dropped down to the comments and had much more fun reading some of the childish responses and bickering than anything else. Reminds me of Anand, full of kids who like to get hateful and argue the stupidest crap. lol