LEGO Marvel Super Heroes PC Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    http://videogames.lego.com/en-us/lego-marvel-super-heroes/demo-download

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've installed the demo and the game runs fine, albeit at 1280x800. Bizarrely, you can only change the graphics settings AFTER you've started the demo and watched the first (annoyingly unskippable) cutscene at which point you can then pause and access ALL of the in-game options.

Unfortunately, the demo crashes when I try to change the resolution. It's an issue I've encountered a lot of since I installed Windows 8.1 Pro last weekend but all my games except for FIFA 13 otherwise work perfectly. Anyone else encountered this resolution crash with Windows 8.1? The error I'm getting is:

Faulting application name: LEGOMarvelDemo.exe, version: 1.0.0.7452, time stamp: 0x523c6666
    Faulting module name: LEGOMarvelDemo.exe, version: 1.0.0.7452, time stamp: 0x523c6666
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0027a1e7
    Faulting process ID: 0x378
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cec979d3e0af2e
    Faulting application path: D:\Demos\LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes\LEGOMarvelDemo.exe
    Faulting module path: D:\Demos\LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes\LEGOMarvelDemo.exe
    Report ID: 628b9c3d-356d-11e3-8002-74d02b28a5e8
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    PREVIEW 8.1 is bad and you should back to Win 7 or 8.0 to fix your issue but you should wait W8.1 final.

I played without problems at 2560x1600 after change any setting running Win 7 x64 SP1. ;) Awesome!! :D

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    He is using the RTM version of 8.1 from how I read it, unsure if it's updated with the Rollup A hotfixes that leaked yesterday (Updates it to a newer build.) but I've not encountered any such problems here. :)
    (Have to shut down RadeonPro when changing any setting like resolution and VSync or there's a chance that the program will hang but that's unrelated to the OS.)

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ JonasBeckham - No, I haven't installed any of the Rollup hotfixes that were leaked. Any chance you could PM me the links to where I can get them please (if is it OK to that - it is a free software upgrade after all for legit Windows 8 owners)? Thanks.

I've been Google-ing the issue and it seems the error is an Access Violation of some kind. I will try reinstalling the v331.40 drivers tonight to see if that resolves it. I've seen suggestions to delete existing config files and so on but the LEGO demo was a new game so there won't have been any existing config files for that game.

I have noticed since installing Windows 8 Pro last year that the C: drive (SSD), which is my Windows install, seems to have restricted permissions. For example, if I try to save a DXDiag.txt file to my C: drive then I get an error that the file cannot be written (it sometimes causes the app to hang). In order to save the file I have to run DXDiag as an Admin. Any files written to the C: drive also have to be granted permission to do so even though I have UAC set to its minimum setting (effectively it is off). I'm using a Microsoft account to sign into Windows. Maybe the issue is caused by the game not having permission to write the config file to the C: drive (which is where some config files are written). I do have my Documents folder relocated to my D: drive but I'm not sure whether the LEGO demo files are stored there or in the hidden AppData/ProgramData folders on the C: drive?

*EDIT*
    It's OK, Jonas, I managed to find the hotfix myself.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.eightforums.com/system-s...e-windows-8-understand-you-administrator.html

That's a update in Windows 8 which effectively runs all apps under admin-approval which means that you do not (Even as a system administrator account user.) have full rights to certain things, it's a security enhancement much like UAC, Smart-Screen and the Windows Defender stuff but it can also be a bit annoying, be aware that disabling this will disable access to the app / store functionality of Windows 8 and 8.1 :)

(Right click on the exe and select run as administrator is recommended for when you use a program that requires access to restricted content like that, or toggling it in the properties window - compatibility tab - of that exe file.)