NVIDIA Project Shield to cost $349 and ships in June

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 14, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA announced on its blog that Project Shield, the company's gaming handheld device, will start shipping in June for $349. This Tegra 4 device runs Android and is designed to run Android-based gam...

NVIDIA Project Shield to cost $349 and ships in June

2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    do people even buy gaming handheld devices anymore? i thout thats what high end cell phones are for lol

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    They should have priced it $250 instead, $350 is more than a PS VITA and it doesn't have any real exclusives. Unless you're an NVIDIA fanboy or just someone really desperate to have a fancy Android gaming handheld, I don't think the general population will buy into NVIDIA's Project SHIELD.

deltatux

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Why would anyone need handheld console....i'm outdated i guess.

5. angryblanket

angryblanket Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 660ti 3GB SC+
    The only thing I would need this for is the ability to stream games from my PC to the shield. It being release in beta and at this price point, they can count me out.

6. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    sounds like an instant failure to me, price-wise and... yeah like previously stated, cell phones and tablets are already around for android gaming.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Add an distinct logo ln it,and everybody loses their minds.
    jk/

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    IMO, modern handheld gaming systems should be based on older consoles. I would love to see a handheld Gamecube that could play the real GC discs. I know there is one that exists but it was never mass produced. For consoles like PS2 that use too big of a disc, they could just do a tablet sized device. Make it as light-weight and skinny as possible and I think it'd appeal to a lot of people. The hardware should be effortless to shrink into nothing, and to make more power efficient than modern phones.

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You can get a high end Nvidia or AMD gpu for the same amount, if not slightly more!

10. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Steam's going to be involved as well?
    I'll give this a miss until Steam tightens up on its security a great deal.
    Apparently any learner script kiddie uses Steam as a training spot for stealing credit card numbers. ;)

11. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Nothing wrong with steam's security mate , I've never had a problem with it and i've been a member since 2004. Not sure were you may have read that from but i think its a load of BS.

12. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    the only reason i see this decive to be ok is when you are in your bed and want to play a game, in any other place or time is say is not good at all because if you want to play android games, get a smartphone , and if you want pc games, just stay at a PC.
    But from all this maybe devs will find a way to stram PC games to Android smartphones.
    And the price is a killer (the product is not even fully working, beta feature).

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You're talking about a company that takes a mid range card, sells it as their flagship, then sells the flagship card at $1K in the US, $1.1K in Canada and probably €1K in the EU... then sells refreshes of the same chips as the next generation cards while they roll on the ground laughing with all the free time they must have. Rolling in money.

14. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    what the? Why would you play on a small screen when there is a large display on the desk?

On the plus side though, this would be great for playing ROMs on Android because using the screen is a chore and cramps your fingers after a while.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    That really isn't accurate. Though you may be just joking. The Titan was never designed as its flagship for Nvidia consumer based cards. It was designed for professional compute, to be sold at completely ridiculous prices that the HPC market allows for. You think any major company would design a massive chip with rather poor yields for $500-600 consumer markets and not for $2-5k professional markets?

You can check around the web, including this forum, or even my posts, its pretty well documented Nvidia used this design philosophy.

16. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I would replace ps vita with this thing if i would have one ;D

17. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    nah hes right there security sucks i take it you don't go on to 4chan lol