Steve Ballmer to leave Microsoft CEO post in a year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 23, 2013.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...allmer-microsoft-ceo-20130823,0,6027038.story

2. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    The meeting room chairs at MS headquarters let out a sigh of relief.

I know a lot of people are going to praise his departure but Steve was probably one of the last originals left in MS so it's sad to see him go. Plus, I liked his over-stimulated demeanor. :) Still, it'll be interesting to see what the future brings with him gone.

C'ya, Steve. Have fun wading around in your swimming pool full of hundred dollar bills.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ballmer is leaving?! :D Best news for Microsoft in a long time :D

4. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Wooooooohooooooooooo partyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

5. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Just take a look at Xbox One, Surface, Windows 8 and leave Microsoft already Ballmer. And never forget what you have done to live messenger, msn space, technet subscriptions and so on.

6. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Choosing to retire is probably the best decisions Ballmer will have made during his tenure as CEO

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I wonder how much the Windows 8 debacle had to do with his departure.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not really a debacle, just a few disgruntled Windows users because of a button.

Windows is not the only product Microsoft release - they got billions coming in from all angles and a ton of products and services, not to mention the global supply chain.

Exits at this level are planned years in advance; it's not like working at a coffee shop where you can be replaced in 24 hours and the manager can carry out your duties until the end of the shift.

Steve has had a very good run, best of luck to him, not that he'll need it.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    13% user migration is very much a debacle. Sales are worse than Vista, and Vista was bad.

You don't say.....?

Sure, that's basically what Dan Rather said after he was pushed from CBS for slandering George Bush - "oh I was going to retire anyway"..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Finally!!!

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    MS stock jumped 9% after this announcement. With that said Windows 8 was not a "debacle". Casual users generally love it. Only people who are stubborn and used to doing things one way forever don't think it's an improvement.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No no and little more no.

Since Windows 8 has been widely available and pre installed on 90% of desktops and laptops sold, I have literally lost count of how many I have been given to reformat with and I quote "The old style this thing is useless" a few I have installed the third party apps like Start8, etc and some have been happy with that.

I know I am just one person and there are thousands out there still using and happy with W8, and it is a very efficient, snappy, and well optimized OS, but you have to admit Microsoft made a massive mistake with W8 and "New UI".

Its just clunky, and needless and god damn horrid to look at. If they really wanted to have people use it they should of installed a better tutorial on the OS to show people how and why its better.

Its like if car manufacturers suddenly thought you know the standard, from left to right Gear, Brake, Accelerator, configuration everyone is used to lets change that and put it the other way round. You know what happens, people crash or simply don't buy it.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Shareholders wanted Ballmer gone and I'm sure he was well aware of it. The fact Shareholders are now sueing MS over [unlawful] misrepresentation of financial data (namely, hiding WinRT sales figures to give the impression that WinRT is selling better than it actually is).

Ballmer even went so far as to say that his leaving is in the best interest of MS.... Under Ballmer, MS had a lot of failures. The Xbox "RRoD" issue. The KinOne and KinTwo debacle.... He let the mobile computing market (which MS dominated at one time) slip away. Zune was handled horribly wrong. Windows Phone has been handled very poorly. Vista had a late launch.... The company has stumbled along in the consumer market for the last 13 years. They need someone in charge that's willing to respond to (or even create) emerging market trends not simply ignore them until it's too late.

Sales figures and usage figures are very different.... The usage figures presented by web based tracking show a much lower usage count than MS wants people to believe (which is why they won't divulge usage data).

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Did he have a hand in windows me? If so let him burn in hell

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Okay, I'll put the Win8 down for now - I was just clarifying there is a great deal more to Microsoft than a desktop operating system update and you can't judge a CEO for something which falls under the responsibility of the person who actually deployed it.

And, hate to disagree with you on this, but a CEO of Microsoft is a lot more entrenched and harder to replace than a newscaster. I mean, I could read a teleprompter, it's not hard y'know.

I had to look up who Dan Rather is, as I don't watch american teevee or any other teevee.

Pretty much gave it up after I got broadband 8 years ago.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow Zednet's credibility just took a severe beating. They really need to hire some proper journo's instead of bloggers.

First we have THE TRUTH from a real editor;

[​IMG]

Followed by some major damage control by "freelance blogger" Mary Joe Foley.

According to her profile:
    According to Mary Jo, W8 sales are booming... Wow 100 MILLION? (sure sounds like a lot....a lot like a spin) :nerd:

[​IMG]

And then some slight backtracking....

[​IMG]

Followed by a 15min interview where the most glaringly obvious question was never asked: WHY are you retiring?

[​IMG]

And......

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  19. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My thoughts too lol

I used to work at a posh boat marina as an IT tech and shortly before I worked there Steve Ballmer had visited. His boat was so big he just leaves it out in the ocean and takes a smaller (still big..) yacht out like Thunderbird 2 and sailed that in to the marina.. :infinity:

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Clunky no, "needless and horrid to look at" quite subjective. Once you understand that metro is simply a different start menu, you start to understand that Windows 8 is a logical next step. People literally just can't comprehend when something they use often is changed. Change = automatically worse in the world of computing, probably because people have a hard enough time as it is using them (somehow). With that said, I don't know who your customers are, but I'm around college students all the time, and I've rarely found people that didn't think Windows 8 was better.

Also, I know how Pill is on a roll with showing how Windows 8 is more of a failure, but going by adoption rate isn't really a fair comparison given PC sales are down overall. Tablets and smartphones are king now.