Time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sir Galahad, May 15, 2013.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Hello everyone, it's that time of the decade again. I'm looking into getting one of the forthcoming GTX 700 series.

I'm thinking of the GTX 760 TI but not entirely sure about the performance gain I'd be getting coming from my OCed 460.

I'd like at least twice the performance FPS wise.

Now I know I'll be CPU bottlenecked in some games, especially Skyrim, as I'm already bottlenecked when running at stock CPU speed in some areas. Bun in some games such as FarCry 3, I'm only using 50% maximum across any core at any one time even at stock clocks. So I figure twice the GPU performance will be optimal.

Besides, I plan to upgrade to Haswell later in the year anyway.

Another thing I'm after is cooling. I don't want my new GPU to be any hotter than my 460 as I rum allot of games with my CPU at 4GHz and it can get a bit toasty; up to about 70C, so I don't want any additional heat from the GPU.

Thanks for the help.

2. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
  3. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    Consider this, GTX 470 is faster than the GTX 460. As Gripen90 stated GTX 760TI will be re-branded GTX 670. If I am not totally wrong a bit faster than GTX 670, not marginally perhaps 2 -3% at the most.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_670_mini_review,11.html
    In FARCRY 3 GTX 470 does 25 fps and GTX 670 does 52fps which is more than twice. The actual GTX 460 performance will be equal to HD 5850 in above page. Upgrading from 460 to 760 will a very good choice even if you chose the non TI version.

Hope this helped you

4. angmar

angmar Guest

It will be slightly more then 2x the performance. I went from a GTX 480 to a GTX 680 and nearly doubled my performance so a 460 to a 670/760 is going to be a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade. However you will def be wanting in the cpu department and I would try an get haswell as soon as your finances allow.

5. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    OK, thanks for your help guys. I think I'm pretty much decided now.
    I'll be getting a GTX 760Ti when it's released at the end on the month and probably upgrading to haswell near the end of the year, if I can bare to part with my old CPU that is; the Q9650 has been good to me over the years.