AMD Starts Sampling 4-core RYZEN processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The guys over at the french based Canard PC certainly have been a root for information lately when it comes to AMD Ryzen procs. After the initial benchmark and specs info they released they now claim ...

AMD Starts Sampling 4-core RYZEN processors

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    So these 4c/8t cpu's or just 4 core no hypertheading?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Unconfirmed, but it would make no sense to do just one.

So I totally expect a HT version in the high-end range much like the i7 series and then a non-HT version in a comparable i5 range.

4. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    interesting times are ahead of us:)
    and it would make sense to release 4 cores CPUs to compete with core i5 & i7
    would be fun toe see AMD 4c/8t competing with i7 7xxx :nerd:
    with half the cost of an Intel offering (wishful thinking maybe)
    boxing match like old days anyone :nerd:

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It will more go against the i7 6xxx as it's somewhat comparable to Broadwell, if it goes anything like the benches we've seen of their octacore so far, or am I wrong?

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Prices are unlikely to be low. They will most likely be priced at around the same for the same performance as Intel's. 8c/16t will likely be around 1000€.

7. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Hopefully they charge enuff to make a healthy profit while still undercutting Intel (which should be easy with Intels margins)

8. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

If they are sampling now it means we are atleast 6 months away from 4C/8T Ryzen on the market :( and this is what most people actually need for home.Ah well 7 years waiting for fast AMD cpu gonna wait a bit more stuck with my Phenom 955.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They won't win back the market like that. They will need to continue the competitive pricing they have been desperately doing the past few years. It would make sense for the to try to one-up Intel's stale offerings by matching the price with a performer one step higher.

If the IPC isn't significantly lower, which is the critical factor for AMD to succeed at all, we already know that they will compete against 2C(4T) i3 with 4C(4T) Zen. In other words it's like offering i5 against i3. Thus those 4C(4T) Zens need to match i3's price. Similarly one would imagine they'll try to beat 4C(4T) i5 with 4C(8T) Zen. Transitioning from i5 to i7, let's hope AMD really will introduce 6C(6/12T) variant as well to oppose the i5k and the non-k i7s. Finally the 8C(16T) Zen will be thrown against anything Intel has in the upper group, although I expect Intel to retain the very top crown nonetheless.

10. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    AMD have been in the shadow for a long 10 years coming back to compete on bar with Intel in performance only would make no sense, and there is another factor Intel based mobos compered to what is revealed By AMD partners definitely look more costly, just gonna keep finger crossed till the official release, and of course an actual test drive by Hilbert :)

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Guest

GPU:
    R9 380
    I don't see a 4 core zen in that diagram.
    4 core with only 2mb cache? that's NOT Zen... that's most likely the AM4 excavator improvement/refresh.

A 4 core Zen should have 8mb L3 cache and 1-2MB L2 cache(I forgot if it was 256KB or 512KB L2 per core), so it should say 4C CPU and 1-2MB + 8MB cache

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If that happens they will never get back marketshare or mind share. Also their top end chipset and motherboards are decidedly between socket 115x and 2011, so expect pricing between that.

$500 for the top 8/16 part, with a bit lower for the "non black" version, sounds on point.

13. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    this sounds like...

4c no SMT
    6c no SMT
    8c no SMT
    8c SMT "Special Edition"

:infinity:

4c ones needs have Core i3´s similar price, hope 35-45w TDP

Hilbert, when you say "Hyper Threading" you must say SMT, Hyper Threading is Intel´s SMT tecnology, we don´t know the AMD´s SMT name, "Hyper Threading" is´nt correct.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Zen = 512kB lv2 per core and 8MB lv3 each 4c :pc1:

Excavator Refresh "Bristol Ridge" = 2MB lv2 cache, no lv3 :infinity:

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    please just stop.

and dont make such bald statements in every possible thread.

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Finally the Pc market is getting Exciting again!

17. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    If they make a 4c/8t chip it needs to be priced close to Intel's i5, not i7s. They need to compete by making us want to buy them over Intel.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I really hope they do make a 6c/12t CPU. 8c/16t is overkill and by the time I'll actually need that much in gaming, there'll be a more efficient CPU out there. 4c/8t is slowly starting to not be enough - there are games out there that will use all 8 threads, which means some cores will have to work overtime to handle background processes. That means worse latency for the game. Since I have a VR headset, worse latency means more motion sickness.

But PC World has an article about how many cores you actually need to play modern games. Seems that 12 threads is consistently the most you'll ever need. The only benchmarks that take advantage of more threads are synthetic or poorly optimized games, which I don't care about.

The article made it very distinct that physical cores are better than logical threads, where 4c/8t performed significantly worse than 8c/8t. I wonder if maybe the reason Ryzen outperformed that i7 was primarily because of more efficient logical threads. If that's the case, then I'm guessing 6c/12t would likely have a solid performance gain over 8c/8t in any test.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    So if you wanna get picky:
    Its called HTT, not HT.
    Its patent protected for Sun microsystems, not Intel, so if Amd gets a license, they can call it HTT as well.

The same way intel has "x64" cpus, even that amd is behind it...

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    do i dare to dream of possible unlocks on extra cores and the amd's HT ? i know there is no mention or any indication for something like that but it will be pretty exciting if we can gamble with unlocks again like athlon II and pehnom II !

yeah but i think one is named x86-64 and the other x86_64 no ?