Free Firewalls working in Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by BarryB, Sep 22, 2013.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Thanks yosef, just downloaded!

Had a problem uninstalling Online Armor though, tried the 'uninstall or change a program' route but just got a box saying something about closing Online Armor then nothing. Couldn't reboot so had to do the 4sec power button shutdown. Rebooted and thankfully it uninstalled!!

Couldn't get Comodo running initially as it said the firewall wasn't functioning properly? Found out I had done the 'MaxNumFilters' trick to try to get the previous version of Comodo firewall working but it just wouldn't work under 8.1 so uninstalled but forgot to delete the MaxNumFilters entry from the registry. After deleting that from the registry and uninstalling/re-installing Comodo it's now working :banana:

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For Windows8 the "signed" 3rd party firewalls do nothing but add a custom UI to control the Windows firewall. MS doesn't actually allow the Windows Firewall to be disabled in Windows8.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I didn't know that. I have WIndow 8 firewall turned off. Checked the inbound and outbound rule set, and yes you are correct. The fact that you can't turn it off is a bit rubbish.

EDIT* You can completely disable Windows Firewall by going to services and disabling it that way.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The user can disable it, but the security companies aren't permitted to do so themselves. The Windows Firewall has a ****load of configuration options available that aren't generally exposed to the user for security reasons. Instead, you have to use 3rd party applications to expose those options, which can be both good and bad as we all know. MS does allow 3rd party security software to provide additional features to work in conjunction with the Windows Firewall though.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Is disabling Windows firewall a good idea. I like the idea of it not running, whilst I use a 3rd party one. But is it truly disabled via services?

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Once the service is stopped, it should be completely disabled. However, since 3rd party security firms are only supposed to be providing a UI with access to settings for the Windows Firewall, I don't know how you'd run a firewall once you stop the service.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The firewall I am using is still showing new prompts for applications. So either the built in firewall isn't fully disabled or 3rd party firewalls can still operate independently.

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    3rd party firewalls works independently just like in windows 7. Yes Microsoft changed the way 3rd party firewalls can disable windows firewall but quite a few still disable it on install.

If the program doesn't disable it and neither do you, you are effectively running 2 firewalls which is a mess tbh as if you allow a connection though one you still have to allow it though the other, same with outgoing connections.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The guidelines set forth by MS for Windows8 don't permit 3rd party security software to disable the built in Windows firewall at all, according to Comodo, Avast, Kaspersky and Symantec. They are simply permitted to create a UI to control the features of the built in firewall and provide supplemental features.

The built in Firewall for Windows8 is actually a very comprehensive firewall when all options are exposed to the user. With applications like TinyWall and a little knowledge it's just as effective as any 3rd party solutions.

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Can you show me some official documents on this? I'm interested in what these guidelines are because firewalls like Privatefirewall are turning the windows default firewall off on install.

and comodo clearly still installs it's own network traffic filter but doesn't disable the built in one.

Is this against what MS wants?

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Go read their forums, like I did. Comodo was the first one I found it on.

12. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    All they have said is they have stopped disabling the built in firewall starting with windows 8.

I would of thought microsoft would have some sort of offical info on such a huge change to their os. All i've found on the offical windows site is info on how you should only disable the built in one if you are installing a 3rd party firewall.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I'm not sure it is disabled when you turn off the firewall via the control panel settings. As I still see permissions appearing. Only true way (I think) is to disable Windows firewall on the services panel.