US sales tax on online purchases.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scoutingwraith, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I think the problem was that they were paying taxes and having absolutely no say in policy changes. Hence: "No Taxation without Representation".

That being said I'm tired of paying taxes to a government that can barely function correctly. It took me three hours today to figure out how to renew NJ Waste Decals because NJDEP site is godawful and doesn't support anything over IE6 basically. And obviously that's like the most basic stuff, how about the ~22k they spend per student on education in abbot districts whose combined SAT score is sub 1000. Or the NJ State Troopers who are collecting 75% pension at 45 for doing nothing but generating more $$ in fines. Trust me I can keep going on and on -- and that's only for my state. The Federal government is even more ****ed up.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    At least your taxes are low in most states. It's always been a 13-15% kick to the balls here, and now before taxes are applied we have environmental fees, daylight robbery.

3. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    I suppose that's true, but they are walking a tight rope. Online comes with shipping charges (normally) and in the case of Amazon I have to pay tax anyway (NY).

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Amazon also Collects sales tax from PA residents as well. Well since I am an Amazon Prime member I really don't have to worry about shipping costs. This was a gray area for a while. I don't see any problems with it because buying online is like shopping at an actual store minus the driving and plus on the waiting. I can see why adding sales tax on top of shipping costs could drive up the price of an item.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You mean the "Bush phone"?

The "Obama phone" comments get old. G.W. Bush was President when that went into effect. Bill Clinton was President when the initial bill was passed and signed that made the free cellphone **** possible.

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed those that couldn't afford it, to receive free landline phone service subsidized by the US Gov't. In 2008, congress passed and G.W. Bush signed an amendment to the bill allowing for Gov't subsidized cellphone service.

Since the amendment to the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was signed in 2008 and Obama wasn't sworn in as President until January 26, 2009....why do people refer to it as "Obama Phone"? It happened before Obama even won the election....

6. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Newegg was collecting NY sales tax back in 2008 but was able to stop:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2328647,00.asp

Exactly.

But people are stupid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    there are also a lot of people in the Uk that are too lazy to work and drain the system, its people like that that have made the system what it is.

I lost my job in 2011 after being in the same job for 25yrs and was treated like a lazy twat,job centre plus did bugger all to help me find work

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Obama CELL Phone then!!!.......btw, it was Reagan.....

What started out as an effort by President Reagan to help poor people in rural areas have a phone in cases of emergency has mushroomed into what critics suspect is a new welfare program.

"The cost has gone from $143 million a few years ago to $2.2 billion today," Republican Louisiana Sen. David Vitter said, noting that today's cost is 15 times what it was.

The cost of the program increased dramatically after cellphones were added in 2008. Only low-income people on welfare and food stamps legally qualify, but some lawmakers say the program is out of control.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...e-program-spinning-out-control/#ixzz2RLZ2USow

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Fox News, as usual, needs to verify their facts. The bill that was amended in 2008 to allow for cellphones was the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which Reagan was never involved in. About the only things Fox News actually got right in that article, is that some politicians think the "free cellphone" program needs to be scrapped (which it does) and that the FCC wants to add free broadband internet to the program (which is stupid).

And again, Obama had nothing to do with it. The free cellphone program was started while G.W. Bush was in office. Obama didn't get sworn in as President until several months later. It's "Clinton-Bush Phone"....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Where do you think housing benefits and other government handouts comes from? Without taxes these people would get nothing.

11. Kwok

Kwok Guest

GPU:
    1x GTX1080
    The Brits and the Canadians are telling us in these posts that we don't have it so bad and its okay because they have it worse? What kind of convoluted reasoning is that?
    That is like saying that because the UK has become country full of Cameras looking up your arsehole from the time you get up till the time you go to bed that it then becomes okay for the USA to follow suit because the British are doing it. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!
    God is a spiritual thing,,, not a guy behind a camera evaluating your every move, deciding what watch list you should belong to.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    >expect america to get the social benefits of a high-tax country
    >run for the hills at the most minor taxes

you guys are funny sometimes.

i don't see anything wrong here anyway, why should online stores be exempt from sales tax?

13. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I think it still has uses for the select few that use them to actually, you know, use as a job application contact number, require it for medical care follow up or actually rely on them in case of emergency- the INTENDED uses. Which, I don't even see how anyone can use them for leisure, you only get around 250 minutes a month depending on the plan if I remember right. The phones themselves are very basic and cheap.

But, like a lot of things we have, they've gone beyond their intended purposes and are abused.

14. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    For those wondering why "One more tax" is pissing us off, understand - we are taxed on everything. I mean that literally. The air we breathe is being taxed - no lie - carbon tax.

I'm taxed twice on the water that comes into my house. Once to clean it before it comes in and again because it's now an environmental toxin.

Every step in the food chain is being taxed. Buy the seed to plant, it's taxed. By the land to plant it in, the purchase is taxed and the land is taxed every year after. Buy a way to package the product, taxed. Transport the product, taxed. What's that? You made a profit? Income tax. Whoaaa wait, you spent the profits you made off of your labor? We (gov) need a percentage.

I invite you to name something available in America, whether physical or service, and I will find a way that it is taxed.

I haven't even mentioned WHY they're taxing us. I don't feel the need to get into what they're doing with it. The fact that you can't die and leave your children everything you kept after 50% of it was taxed - without that being taxed just sux (inheritance taxes are off the chart).

The single largest corporation in America spending money is the governement - which pays no taxes.

If you don't have an issue with us being taxed without lube, ask yourself - what is the US gov doing with those taxes, and does it affect me? You betcha.

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    Capital Gains Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Court Fines (indirect taxes)
    Dog License Tax
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel permit tax
    Gasoline Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money)
    Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
    IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Local Income Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Septic Permit Tax
    Service Charge Taxes
    Social Security Tax
    Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
    Sales Taxes
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    Road Toll Booth Taxes
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone federal excise tax
    Telephone federal universal service fee tax
    Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
    Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
    Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
    Telephone state and local tax
    Telephone usage charge tax
    Toll Bridge Taxes
    Toll Tunnel Taxes
    Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)
    Trailer registration tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    So do I because I live in Washington where its located (in fact Amazon's offices like 58 minutes from where I live). Honestly, its really not that big of a deal to me. I mean even if sites like Newegg started including a tax I wouldn't really care that much. I already have to whenever I buy from Amazon, and I do that quite often. i mean its a nice break, but if newegg and other places started having programs like Amazon prime for instance the yearly fee could help cut or lower things like shipping costs so the added tax wouldn't drive costs up so much.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    A fair portion of the tax examples you have given are deductible on your Federal Income Tax. The payroll taxes you cited are there for a reason. They pay for the benefits one receives when unemployment benefits are filed for. Would it be better to have the Federal Income Tax rate increased to cover for social security and unemployment benefits therefore adding an additional drain on the benefits just to cover the tracking involved just so those taxes do not come directly out of one's gross pay? All the recreational taxes mentioned maintains the National or State Parks. Do not complain about the taxes when the benefits reaped by thousands each year out way the tiny sacrifice one must endure to participate in such activities. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  18. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    because they want to blame somebody, and man people hate obama out of principle (hes a "democrat" after all) and thus, everything is his fault.

bail outs that started under bush....all obama's fault, 9/11 obama, economic collapse=obamas fault....i could go on and on...

dont get me wrong, I dont like the guy, hes a fascist just as bush was, just as clinton was(but at least clinton did it in such a way that the public couldnt so easily see they where getting screwed....)

republican or democrat, it makes no difference anymore, they are all Fascist, another name for Fascism is Corporatism, a condition where in the corporations own and run the state.....tell me thats not how things have been for decades now.

19. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    It doesn't surprise me that people are pushing for sales tax for online sales. It's a lot of money. I'm surprised it hasn't come sooner.

20. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    well, I can say , I think free broadband would make more sense then free cell phones, they could REQUIRE all isp's or at least major isp's that took public money to expand their infrastructure since the 90's to give people on food stamps free broadband, since they pocketed that money rather then expanding their networks properly.

require any newer/smaller ISP that wants public funds or incentives to supply free broadband to people on food stamps.

I say this because, it would force them to do something for the money they got from our taxes, rather then what they did with it(line their pockets)

still though, its obama's fault that regan/bush/clinton/bush signed bills/amendments in that lead to free cell phones.