Have you had a SSD die on you yet ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by WhiteLightning, Jan 31, 2013.

1. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    True, happened in pretty much all M4's, the first firmwares had a 5200 Hour Bug, after 5200hs the SSD would disapear from bios, and giving, ofc, windows a bsod error.
    But showing up again after a reboot, after that, would crash again after 30/40 mins max.

Mine was one of them, happened to me 2days right after the news hitted the web. (That was january 2012)
    But i updated the firmware after the crash and the SSD got up and running again like always, no data lost.

This wasnt related to flash memory life span, just a bug, if your SSD is revision 001 you probably had the same issue.

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It was on the latest firmware, 040H, when it died. The firmware 0001 is also the revision listed on the drive itself (the firmware it shipped with).

3. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    still rocking with old agility 3 60 gb ssd updating firmwares when they out

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi

5. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    All 4 of my 80GB Intel x25-m G2's have been running for 3 years 3 months no problems.

~4.6 TB of data written to each of them, "Media Wearout Indicator: 98" on each.

6 months ago my friend bought a brand new 512 GB OCZ Vertex 4, we installed Windows 7 and transferred all of his personal data from his 1 TB HDD.

We then ran AS SSD benchmark to make sure the drive was working correctly and as the speeds were up to spec we formatted his 1 TB HDD so he could use it for storage.

1 hour later he got a BSOD and the SSD is dead - wont detect in BIOS...

The Intel SATA controller on the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe was set to AHCI mode with hot swap enabled - checked the SATA and power cables - still clipped in properly.

No explanation as to why it died - I think some are just poorly manufactured.

Claimed it on warranty but my friend lost all of his personal data.

Learned a valuable lesson that day - always keep a backup of personal data.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    i havent. and i have well over 10 different ssds

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm going to give some additional lessons so you don't have to learn it the hard way.

1)- Always keep TWO backups of your important data in TWO different locations. There is always a chance that something may happen to one of them or that one will be corrupted (I learnt this when my 1TB backup drive went at the same time as my main PC drive), thank god I had photos backed up by a friends house for safekeeping.

2)- Always keep a second Windows installed on your computer if you have a second hard drive installed. It only takes a ~40 GB partition that will give you plenty of space to immediately be back up and running even if your main OS drive fails, just make sure to use Acronis or something similar to back up the main OS's drive image regularly. Just dual boot and have the boot choice set to two sec (imperceptible wait at startup).

This I learnt when I had to finish a project for school and my SSD went, I had no other computer I could use nearby that could access the data on my HDD, so I had to run around to ask people if I could kindly borrow their PC and install Windows to a USB (my PC had no CD drive) so I could reinstall it; then to go back a second time when my Realtek LAN wasn't identified and having to download the drivers manually first so I can even begin to update. Wasted precious time that could have been avoided if I had setup a second Windows boot in the first place.

3)- The most important files you might want to upload to a cloud service as well. I've heard that "Crashplan" is the best, $2 a month for 10GB or $4 a month for unlimited; it is well worth that measly fee to safely back up family pictures, movies and other items that are irreplaceable.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Yep, some very good advice there :).

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Four Samsung 830s in my household and they all have been working flawlessly.

10. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I have a few SSDs (~10 or so across a few machines). Most well over 10'000 hours.

In the time I started using SSDs, I've had 5 HDD's fail, and 0 SSD's fail.

Granted all the failed HDDs were from the same batch of WD 1TBs (set of 6), purchased after the Thailand floods - so that batch was probably bad.

-scheherazade

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes, and in the most ironic and stupid way I've ever seen. I was vacuuming, I touched my case to move it and ended up shocking the crap out of it. No big deal, right? Everything is supposed to be isolated electrically. Welp, system is locked up when I get back to it. SSD dead. Only thing that bit the dust. It turns out that the bottom of the Vertex 2 is made of metal, and the 3.5 inch bracket it sits on allowed a quick grounding path for the static discharge. Fail.

I'm actually really upset about this because my Vertex 2 was one of the ones that ran a gauntlet (I put over 10,000 hours on it with over a dozen reformats and installs). And if anyone has ever seen the Newegg review page for the Vertex 2, it's quickly apparent it's one of the most failure prone SSD's of all time. It barely pulls a 3 star because of how many bad reviews it has for failing.

I bought it basically on release and it went the distance, then died to stupidity. Ugh

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    that sucks^, time for a vertex 4 or vector.

13. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Intel 520 series 480gb here and its perfection. :evilgrin:

14. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    Interesting. I have personally used a 160 GB X-25M and a 256 GB Crucial M4 and neither has died on me. If I'm worried about absolute reliability when I build a system I tend to stick with Intel or Samsung. Pretty happy with the Samsung 830/840's.

15. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I haven't had an SSD die on me yet.. (knock on wood) - I've got:
    1 x Intel 600GB
    2 x OCZ 512GB Vertex 4

The intel drive is in my MBP, one OCZ on an X58 and one on a P67. No issues at all with any of the drives and great performance from all (could be better on the X58 setup but that's SATA limited).

16. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Intel 120gig 520 still going strong, just using for my os and bf3, going to get a samsung 840 512gig soon:)

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have a 2.5 year old failing Vertex 2E 60GB that Crystal Diskinfo says "Good 94%".

HDTune highlights in yellow that 93 sectors have been re-allocated.
    Towards the end, while it was in use as a boot drive, one 'unknown' parameter was clocking up like crazy!
    It has 20,000hrs uptime.

It didnt die, but I replaced it with a Vector.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ignore the uptime smart details it really has about 30,000hrs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    lol how many days is that ? 37353 ? :D

isnt that drive from 2012 ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU: