Video card suggestion for WoW @1080P (ultra)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by entropism, Feb 25, 2017.

?

What would you choose?

1. RX 480 4GB

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. RX 480 8GB

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. 1060 3GB

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. 1060 6GB

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    How are you liking your Armor? I was sitting there for a half hour with both the Armor OC 8GB and the XFX in my cart.

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Nice choice but I was strictly thinking of 1080p since that was what you originally said you wanted. Of course 1440p will use more memory.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Mine is the 4GB model but yea....cool/fast card for 1080p....

The game you like (Wow) would be faster on a 1060-6GB like Agent said though.

4. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Just got the card in and installed. Afterburner won't run on system startup, since I spend most of my time on a standard user account rather than Admin. Trying to figure my way around that.

Any way I can tell how my GPU was binned? Would love to see how lucky I got.

That being said, all details up, I'm amazed with how much better this game looks, and it runs so god damned quiet.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What do you mean by binned?

Binning is a process of selecting the best of a group.
    That process only happens on high end cards usually.

6. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    I mean exactly that.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You're really out of touch with hardware that isn't "high-end" and to a further extent, AMD hardware where you grossly underestimate their performance ofting citing that the equivilent nVidia hardware is significantly faster. Now when raw performance between a 1060 vs a 480, a 1060 has to be clocked to 1800MHz to match a 480's base 1120MHz 5.1tflops (1060's base clock of 1506MHz which equals to 3.8tflops). Now obviously, the amount of flops a card can produce doesn't actually tell the difference between performance in cards, what we can use this in a basis of comparison is how this relates to previous hardware releases, in that the 1060 as it stands now is being utilised fully whereas, the 480 isn't (particularly when we look at driver overhead and DX11 etc). This is why I see the 480 as a better investment when it comes to longevity compared to the 1060 - just look at how the 970 is already crapping out in benchmarks where it's competition at the time is surpassing it, and again with Keplar vs 7000 series cards.

Now as for the binning process, this happens with other chips too, there aren't any bigger polaris chips than 470 and 480 - best binned chips go on the 480, less so in the 470.

In entropism's case, he's hoping he'll have a chip with decent thermals and OC headroom, was just the same for my R9 285 Tonga chip, I got lucky with that one, gave fantastic OC headroom, I wouldn't have been surprised if it could have been a full Tonga chip with the performance it gave.

8. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    What he said. ;) So... How do I go about seeing what I got?

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If i may... don't just select the Ultra Preset and be done with it, because there is no way to maintain 60FPS in Val'Shara and Suramar.

Lower the following settings:

View Distance to 7
    Environment Detail to 7
    Liquid Detail to Good

Lowering those gives up to 40 FPS depending on the location.

Happy 60 FPS.

10. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Actually in nighthold right now, 60FPS easy. It's amazing how much more detail there is.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You're out of touch of technicalities in question here.

OP asked if his 480 is binned.
    Nobody is referring to how the process of binning as in poor chips get labeled as lower end parts as the silicon is produced..
    Clearly the binning in question here is as in GPUs such as EVGA Classified cards or MSI lightning.

That is the process of picking the best, low leakage parts that OC well.
    The lower end parts generally do not see such a process, especially not $200 cards.
    This should have been quite obvious due to him asking about overclocking..

If you're gonna attack someone, at least have a clear understanding before you talk about something that doesn't matter.

Secondly, If you're talking about 1060 vs 480 in particular, 1060 is faster on average.
    OC vs OC 1060 is also a better edge in that regards including much better performance per watt.
    As for your future comment, 480 being in DX12 where it's fully utilized, funny thing is it performs roughly the same as a 1060 with significantly lower tflops.
    But like you said, that doesn't always relate to exact performance.
    Now, i have never said anything about 1060 being 'significantly' faster; they perform similar enough.
    You're just pulling that one out of your ass

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'm sorry you feel like I'm attacking you, I'm not, I am criticising you however based on observations of your comments made in other threads on this same kind of discussion (such as in this thread for example http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5395931#post5395931)

I agree with you on the binning process, I was however replying to your comment in that it seemed that you implied that there was no binning occurring at all on these chips and just wanted to clarify that. There is basic binning occurring on the 480 line of cards as there would need to be for cards to be released with the differing boost speeds we see from various cards but perhaps not as extreme as we see as per your example.

13. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    So I've got this card up and running, but I have a small nagging issue, maybe you guys know what's going on here. When I wake the computer from sleep, there's snow on the screen (complete snow, no desktop whatsoever) for about 2 seconds, then it jumps right to the desktop like normal.

Anything I should be concerned about?

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Can you post a screenshot of it?

May be a bug with ULPS(ultra low power state)

15. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    I can try my best. Not sure if the computer is waking fast enough to get a screen shot, but I can try to be quick with my phone at the very least.

I will say, it looks exactly like this - https://i.stack.imgur.com/MZRjR.jpg

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    How are you finding your new card? And has the strange waking behaviour been a problem/have you managed to solve it?

18. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Card works great for the most part. Definitely accomplished what I wanted to with this upgrade.

Called their tech support, and they said the wake issues were because I was using DVI (uhhh... ok) and advised that I switch to HDMI. No wake issues anymore with HDMI, HOWEVER, my particular monitor has a bug where HDMI doesn't allow the monitor to sleep, it just goes to a royal blue screen that says "No HDMI signal" (or something of the sort). It's a known error with this model (asus vw266h) so I'm stuck with one of the two inconveniences until I change monitors.

I have a Dell 2408WFP I can use instead, so we'll see what happens.

19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Afaik the only offically binned rx480s are the sapphire nitro + oc cards. I don't think xfx claims to bin any of their rx480s.

20. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    I have an RX480 4gb and WoW run at 60+ fps with all the settings turned up..