[WIP] ATX PSU Maximum Combined 12v Ratings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Atrokkus

Atrokkus Member

GPU:
    HIS ATI Radeon x1950 Pro 512MB AGP
    Could you explain please, how did you come to that conclusion? So you mean it has only one 12v Amperage value?.. Weird.

2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    That's right...it has only one 12V rail and the label says it will do 15A. See the reason that this thread exists is because of the confusion that came about when they started making power supplies with multiple 12V rails and most of the labels only gave the amperage at which the unit would shut down if it was exceeded on any individual rail (such as the 14A and 15A listed for the dual rail version of your unit). The problem is that the power supply can't do 14A and 15A on both rails at the same time...it can only do one or the other and the actual combined output capability is less then the value you get by adding 14 and 15 together (29A).

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok I am looking at the Athenatech XF Xtreme Force PS on new egg. On the back there is 3 selections: split, +12v rail,and combined. If I am going to use the hd2900xt 1gb, set to combined right? I never saw this on a psu before. I know on my ocz psu 600w you can fine tune the +12v. but this one is quite different. is this something new for psu's?

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Topower/ePower came out with that quite awhile ago and other Topower made units like Tagan or Mushkin have that. The switch doesn't appear to really do much because if it works in split-rail mode the over current protection level on the individual rails is very high according to load tests...much higher than the 18-20A "norm". So it's not succeptable to overloading a rail in either mode. Your 2900XT consumes about 160 watts. And it probably gets around 70-75 of those watts thru the slot and the rest is divided between two external PCI connectors drawing 7-8 amps between the two of them...which is still less than half of the 18-20 amp current limit "standard" in multi-rail units. So even if both of the connectors are on one rail it'll be fine and if they are on different rails there's ample room for hard drives or whatever else is connected to that rail in a typical system configuration. So I'd think it doesn't matter where the switch is really. Which model of Athena Power are you interested in getting?

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I just want a good suggestion on which psu I should be using on a single hd2900xt? Something that I can easily overclock with and rest of my sytem with 0 problems. I was looking at the 1000w Enermax galaxy psu but that could be overkill for my system as I am only going for 1 card not crossfire. Any suggestions on which psu I should be using with the hd2900xt 1gb would be great.

Update: I am still looking at this enermax 1000w galaxy. as I dont want to upgrade my psu when the new g92 nvidia supposedly comes out before christmas. I just dont want to upgrade my psu for quite some time. You think this powersupply will do me good for 1 card solution for now?

This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194019

UPDATE: I just ordered the psu from the above link. I should be getting it this friday along with the hd2900xt 1gb. Hope everything works well this time.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh well...since I know you're price range...I think the Enermax Infiniti's are about the finest unit that money can buy. And either the 650W or 720W versions will power your system no problem.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI @ 650/2000
    Anyone fimilar with this PSU?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2874960&CatId=2534

A friend of mine is building a new rig and wants to get a high quality high powered PSU that will last for a while. His budget is about $200. I'm not familiar with that brand.

I recommended that he get the same one I have which is this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

But looking at the amp ratings on the first post here is says that the Etasis is rated at 70 amps while the PC P&C unit is rated at 60 amps.

Opinions?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    etasis is the oem for the silverstone zeus series, and that etasis is the same as the silverstone zeus 850W, so its a very high quality psu.

9. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well Etasis has long been one of the best names in the business but their units are geared mostly towards the server market rather than enthusiast or gaming. The Etasis 850 is pretty much identical to the Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF (made by Etasis). The Etasis has more cable connections but no sleeving compared to the Silverstone. It uses a single Sanyo Denki 80mm fan to cool the unit so some may find the noise objectionable. Server environments usually don't consider noise to be an issue.

Personally, I wouldn't make too much out of comparing two units with 60 or 70 amps of combined 12v capability because the 60 amps is going to be plenty for even the most radical system configuration in the foreseeable future. But if your friend can handle the noise, the Etasis should definately be a long lasting unit.

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    So he would be better off getting the Etasis unit then. OK so he will save a few bucks over what I suggested and get a higher powered PSU that is of same/better quality than the one I suggested? I'm sure he'll be happey to hear that :) Thanks folks :cheers:

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
  12. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    ...anyone?.....

13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    That's a new model and it looks good on a load tester and oscilloscope:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=120

It appears to be a high-end Enhance built unit and probably every bit as good as the Etasis for this application. The voltages are as stable and the Antec is more efficient and could be quieter since efficient PSU's produce less heat and can run their fans slower. All the cables are sleeved...and hey it's got racing stripes lol

It's comparable to the other high-end Enhance units like the Silverstone Striders and Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 I reckon. Looks like a great buy there with the $100 off...so uh tell him to spend a $100 more and get a Thermaltake Toughpower 850 and he won't be sorry? ;)

Should probably bear in mind that sometimes a new model can have design problems that aren't fixed yet so like anything there's a bit of a risk there of a flaw or possible motherboard compatability issues....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  14. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    That is a fantastic site Makalu, thanks :) After we read your post we went to the local CompUSA and picked up the unit. And we actually got it with the whole $100 off on the spot! No mail in rebate! It's supposed to be $60 instant saving, then a $40 mail in rebate. I guess the cashier screwed up :D

Anyway, I would like to thank you again and now I'm off to help build my buddies rig :)

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi Phalanx , let me know how that PSU its working as I have a near by local compusa store here in Puerto Rico and i saw it as advertised , The best deal I have found in a long time regarding power supplies here on the island , I have to buy my PSUs here locally because if I buy from newegg the shipping to the island would be horrendous ,very high due to the weight from the power supplies :(. So im also in need of a new power supply for my new rig. Makalu let me what you think about that PSU , it is the highest Wattage PSU i can find locally ,i dont have too many options. heres a link to compusa Puerto Rico with the Power supplies Units available ( Here are my options ) ,
    http://www.compusa.com.pr/products/...Ne=502522&Cn=Power_Supplies_Computer_Upgrades

From those 4 wich one will be the better one? Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give me on this PSU quest :) , Also I contacted Antec directly customer support about this power supply and any incompatibility with my new Mobo gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and this is what the Tech reported:

Question:

[​IMG]

answer:

[​IMG]

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    Well from reading that site, the Cooler Master 850 and Antec 850 are essentially the same unit with diferent badging.

As for how it performs, we set up the PC last night and it is powering the rig quite nicely.

The rig it went in is:

E6700 @ 3.6Ghz
    2x 8800GTS 640MB SLI @ 650/2000
    2 GB PC6400 HZ @ 1000Mhz
    EVGA 680i SLI A1
    2x DVD/CD burners
    2x 500GB WD HDD
    X-FI Extreme Gamer
    And several 120mm fans
    and my old Tuniq Tower 120

No complaints, plenty of cables and the thing is silent. I recommend you jump on it! Great PSU for cheap :)

17. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    yeah, that antec is a good psu, i dont remember the exact score, but it did very good on jonnygurus load tester.

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you guys for sharing your information , I will get it asap.

:cheers:

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    So did you get the PSU Chispy? If so hows it working out for you?

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have it ordered and will pick it up tomorrow , I will let you know tomorrow how it works out for me ok bro ;)

Good day