Does this require medical attention?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Agent-A01, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Thanks guys. Ive been Trying not to usw my thumb to allow it to heal so i dont keep re opening it. Really makes it a PITA in my daily activites without the use of my right hand. The cut is about an inch long, but its not too bad. I reckon if i dont get stitches itll be a scar? Overnight its already sealed itself mostly. lol i freaked out when i saw blood squirting out, it usually doesnt bother me when i see blood but i turned white on my face. I read that only arteries allow squirting of blood and veins should just leak blood out. Is that true?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Cadoam

Cadoam Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 6520g & HD 6650m
    I can second the super glue, I work with glass and its easy to get small cuts from. they typically bleed more than anything but the super glue or liquid skin seals good

3. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    If you have to ask, the answer is yes.
    Goto a hospital.

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Man, you still alive?

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Please go to a doctor?
    There is a reason why you shouldn't try to feel the heart pulse of someone using your thumb. That same reason probably caused the blood squirting effect.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes thanks for asking :p

7. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    There are arteries in all your finger and toes. The difference between these arteries from arteries in the rest of your body is that these are end arteries so if you manage to cut these arteries fully then your finger is going to go black and die. If the blood was spurting from your finger then it is an artery which was cut. Venous bleeding does not spurt it oozes out.
    If the bleeding has stopped and the cut appears clean and does not gape( like you can see into the dept of the cut) then you can apply a waterproof band aid and leave it for 3 to 4 days after which you can change the band aid again and leave it for another 3 to 4 days by which time the cut should have healed.
    If the cut is gaping then you require sutures. If you develop pain and swelling then most likely you are developing a infection and will require antibiotics. There is no harm in taking a tetanus shot (better safe than sorry)

8. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Best chance to get it is a board out in the woods with the nails in the dirt. Rusty nails them selves don't hold Tetanas, just the black dirt on them. Nails are the best canidate because of the deep direct puncture.

Think the US has had 45 or 50 reported cases since 1995. Its more of a wives tale now then reality, unless you live in a third world country.

9. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Way I handle the deep cut situation is bandaid with neosporin during the day. Washing it and letting it air dry a couple times a day then putting a bandaid and neo back on it.

Nothing at night to let it start scabing up, drying out. Then the neo and bandaid again during the day.

Reason for this is I'm pretty active during the day, so the neo keeps the cut soft while I'm active, so not to heal and break back open.

Don't move much when I sleep, so I let it scab up. Morning throw the neo back on it and it will get soft for the day.

If its got the dead hanging skin when it starts to heal, just cut that off with a razor blade and get down to the fleshy skin below it. Dead skin will be clear/yellow color and really hard, it will only be on the outside.

It it starts to hurt you can do the squeeze test on it. Clear or blood is good. You get puss, (milky colored) its starting to get infected, might need some anti's for it. Would wait 2-3 days to see if it goes away by itself which it usually will. Most of the time when the deep cuts get sore, its usually small debris left in the cut, your body will break it down or build a calcium barrier around it.

Your body has most everything it needs to heal itself, its a amazing machine.

10. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Sounds like you may have hemophilia (you're a bleeder)
    Very common among males.

Also, our fingertips have nerve endings. Thats why if you're hemophilic, you tend to bleed excessively on those areas. That is also why it hurts every time you move it coz of the nerve endings.

But of course, my diagnosis is only based on your subjective data.

Try and get yourself checked by a doctor. Doctors would order blood tests to determine if clotting factors are missing or at low levels.
    If you do have low clotting factors then it means hemophilia :D

- HamsterCrispy (Dawn) R.N.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I don't see why you would be worried about a scar, it's your thumb, who ever examines your thumb enough to notice scars.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    hemophilia is people who have blood that cant clot, which is not me lol. the bleeding stopped after 20mins or so. i cut a vein/artery which caused lots of blood to come out fairly fast. its fine now,i can move it fine without any discomfort. ive already had a blood test months ago and i was fine, nothing irregular to report.

and no its not common for males. its a rare disorder. 1 in 5,000 males worldwide have it.

13. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    What I meant by "common in males" is if you compare it to both genders.
    I told you it was just a diagnosis based on what you said :D

Good to hear the blood tests were fine! It was just a bad cut after all :thumbup:

14. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    I am a doctor, a surgeon so if the bleeding has stopped and you can move the finger then just apply a waterproof band aid and leave it for a few days. there is no need of any ointment as the band aid has a strip covered with antiseptic. do not try to change the band aid every day because you may open the cut when you do so. avoid unnecessary activity with that finger. change the band aid after 3 or 4 days and after another 3 days the cut would have healed fully.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ok thanks, i usually change it after i take a shower, but havent today. ill wait until tomorrow morning, which will be the 3rd day.

16. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Pics or it didn't happen :p

Oh if you die can I have your 580s?

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    haha nah, im fine.pics of the cut? i suppose i could do that

18. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Yeah man you have to show off your wounds!