Does this require medical attention?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Agent-A01, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So i dropped a coffee cup 15 mins ago and i tried to catch it before it hit the counter but it broke in half before i got to it and i felt a sharp pain in my lower part of my thumb; lots of blood came out and was squirting out 3inches or so. got a paper towel on it and it soaked up a lot of blood(there was no white in the paper towel). after the 2nd towel it stopped bleeding. Is there like an artery or something in the thumb? dont know why it would squirt out like that. the cut is about 1/3 an inch deep give or take and hurts when i move it. currently put some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid on it after i cleaned all the blood off my hand. is this all i need to do and wait for it to heal? or does it require medical attention?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I guess if we don't see any posts from you from now on, we know what the answer should have been? :)

I would expect it to hurt, but I dare say infection and improper healing (may need stitches) would be more of a worry. Maybe use those stick on stitches things you can buy (holds the wound together) after using an antiseptic on it and drying it, and limit movement.

HINT: If you thumb turns a strange colour I would seek proper medical advice!

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Get to hospital.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You probably could use some stitches.

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    U can survive a rip open artery I had my wrist torn open and I could shoot blood like spiderman took 3months to heal but then again being over 12hrs away by drive to a hospital made it a no choice

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    if the bleeding stops you don't need further medical attention, unless the cut was caused by real glass, in that case you might need to get a "tetanus" shot.

7. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    I did something similar back in the earlier 90's. I was working on a radio control car, and sliced the side of my left thumb where the knuckle bends with an hobby knife (Exact o Knife) right down to the bone. At the time I was home alone, with no transportation. Blood gusting everywhere just like you, almost passed out it was pretty gross. I applied pressure with a wash cloth, it stopped after a while. When my girl at the time got home, we applied anti-septic, a couple butterfly bandages, wrapped some gauze, and medical tape to prevent movement for a couple weeks.

If not seeking medical advice, keep it clean, covered, and watch for infection.

8. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    If the bleeding has stopped, you can put super glue on it to close the wound. It's sterile, and will create it's own protective cover. This will help the skin re bond beneath it. It burns slightly, but don't freak out. It really does work.

9. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    depending on how deep it is you might need to get it stitched...lol no there arent any major arteries in the thumb :p go to the hospital..the wound might require an oral antibiotic course such as co-amoxiclav..and next time be careful :)

10. Nomadspy

Nomadspy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GT220 512MB GDDR3
    hahahahaha had lot more serious stuff and never been in hospital ROFL.Once as kid i cut meat of my left thumb with razor and almost could see the bone.I just patched it with bandage and after few weeks the flesh was together again.I had scar for some years.12 to be exact but now surprisingly it is completely gone!

Oh and one advice!Use a lot alcohol on the wound.Infection is your greatest enemy!

11. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    shouldn't you be getting a Tetanus injection. Not sure, just wondering.

12. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Tetanus mostly lives in black dirt. Broken coffee cut would not warrant a Tetanus shot.

Rusty nail in woods would require one.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yes there is an artery in the thumb, thats why you are told to take someones pulse with your fingers and not your thumb so you don't feel your own pulse

(from wikipedia)
    First dorsal metacarpal artery - arises just before the radial artery passes between the two heads of the first dorsal interosseous muscle and divides almost immediately into two branches which supply the adjacent sides of the thumb and index finger; the lateral side of the thumb receives a branch directly from the radial artery.

I would get it looked at, you might have damaged tendons which would affect movement when it heals, I cut my finger with a broken plate one time and can't bend it as well as the other ones now

14. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    If it's no big hassle for you, go see a doc or at least call the hospital and ask for advice..
    Otherwise it's no big deal imho.. I've cut myself so many times, that it's becoming funny..
    And not all cuts were harmless.. The biggest one's scar is still visible clearly, and it's more then 10 years ago..

15. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Funny, I've never had a tetanus injection, ever, and I have cut my feet open in more ways than one, and the amount of rusty nails that have gone into my feet and through my heel at times has never merrited one.

I guess the amazing uses of "Comfery" and a "poltus" speaks for it's self.

But, if you a paronoid as hell about it, I suggest seeing the doctor and getting a tetanus anyway.

16. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Arteries are deeper than 1/3 of an inch. You might have cut a vein. Veins transports the blood back to the heart. You're fine if it stopped bleeding. :) Just keep it clean and treat it well as the others said.

17. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    OP sounds worse.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    get to the hospital
    ask for a busty nurse to take care of you :)

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^ Is all I'm worried about(damaged tendons) the cut should heal ok...

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I'm sure you'll be fine.

Like someone said. Superglue it, whack a bandaid or wrap it.

Check it later and make sure there's no serious infection.
    If in doubt you can get some stitches.

Otherwise if it's a pretty clean cut it'll heal pretty quick on it's own.

If you had cut a tendon or something else serious you would know about it.