What are the CONS of buying a "closed loop CPU coolers"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by saberwolf, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    There are cons with EVERY cpu cooler period. The new AIO coolers are no more likely to leak than a custom loop. Probably even less likely. These days,the quality of AIO units are excellent and ruggedly built.

2. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I own an Antec 620 with two Sycthe Gentle Typhoons, and my opinion is that is meh. Not bad but not great either. I paid around £60 for it and I suspect a similar priced Air Cooler could get the same, if not better temps. Of course, I think my 3570K isn't a good clocker (hits 70 sometimes at 4.4GHZ, 1.28v).

Unless your going all in (H110i level), I don't think they are worth it. Next time, I am getting High End air.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    wtf? designed in the USA but not available in the USA.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Due to patient infringements.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Fixed! :D

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I've had an H80i and an H100i f**k up on me.

The H80i's pump just died after 6 months and the H100i bricked during a FW update.

I would strongly recommend never doing a FW update on the Corsair H series as I have read many horror stories of it killing the unit.

To avoid temptation, don't even bother plugging the USB cable in and if you absolutely have to, many people recommend using an exterior USB port as the software seems to have major incompatibilities with some internal USB headers.

I have an H100i (the replacement) and it has been solid for 8 months although if you read their forums, problems with these units are very common.

9. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I went with a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme All-In-One Liquid Cooling System because I didn't have a lot to spend. I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone with a z97 motherboard. Though it says it's compatible, it really is a very poor fitting cooler for that particular chipset. I managed to get it to work, but it's most likely not performing as well as it could be. I do run my i7-4770k @ 4.3 GHz daily, but when OC any higher than that the CPU will hit 100C and the safety will kick it. Mind you this happens with intelburntest and not during gaming. Overall it does the job better and is quieter than any air cooled system I tried despite the poor fitting bracket. If you're handy, closed loop doesn't mean closed loop. You can easily mod these things.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZL85XU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Im glad that i went with the h110, rather than the h100i... the h110 doesnt have all that fancy software shizzle... just a pump, tubes, and radiator - has worked flawlessly for me the past year :)

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah same with my 2nd H100i :D

I didn't plug the USB cable in, neither did I install the dodgy software or attempt to update the FW.

I tried the Antec Kuhler on my HTPC box and it was fairly impressive so I might pick up the higher end model if I do decide to rebuild for X99.

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    No issues at all with both the h100 and h100i, excellent quite cooling. They're good for what they are but they can't complete with a custom setup, of course they were never meant too.

I also don't use the usb\software for the h100i.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm personally of a mind that you should either go high end air or spend the extra on a custom loop, or at the least an expandable solution. The performance available for the mid tier AIO cooler is generally no better than a top tier air solution for the same price or often less in regard to the air cooler. The higher end AIO coolers tend to push close enough in cost to custom or expandable loops that you're better off spending the extra 30-60 bucks.

14. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    One other question? With these expandable cpu cooler loop systems, could you an a exotic cooler solution or are you limited too water being it described as a Water Cooling System?

Thanx in advance :)

15. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Some of the AIO units are pretty much custom and expandable. The H220,H320 and the H220X for example,let you drain the rad and or, add fluids etc. as you would with a custom loop. They also allow you to change,shorten etc. the tubes, and will also connect to two video cards. In my opinion,it's a much better way to liquid cool everything without a lot of maintenance etc.

16. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Difference is that air coolers dumps the heat inside the case - radiators doesnt.

Other than that, a h110 will provide quite a bit better cooling than a noctua d14 for instance, but still be ALOT cheaper than a quality custom loop, aswell as ALOT simpler to install and use... no bleeding the loop, no cutting tubes, no maintaince etc etc etc.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also the liquid coolers do not infringe on your memory slots either unlike some of them huge air coolers you see now a days.

I agree that this would be a great start for a noob to liquid cooling customization to understand the beginning ins and outs that goes into an advanced custom setup.