router with ad blocking feature

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by anticupidon, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i don´t know if is the right section ,mods feel free to remove thread.
    i want to upgrade my router,and i heard that some new routers have this new feature,ad blocking wich stirred my interest.
    so,any guru here can shed some light on this matter?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Did a quick google and it only involves instructing the router to use a Hosts file which you can simply drop in to your system32 folder anyway. I think all this involves using custom firmware .. DD WRT and company.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    yeah,it does solve half the problem,what about other mobile devices connecting to the same router?

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If your router supports custom firmware just follow the instructions available for the relevant firmware and use the hosts file on it. You don't need to buy a new router if that's the case. Mine doesn't unfortunately but it's not really worth it as mobile devices will benefit only if they're used at home and afaik Androids can also use Hosts files directly.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea you can add a startup script to a router running DD-WRT to block ads network wide

Or you can set up a filter with manually entered URLs or Keywords and set that for single or multiple devices via IP or MAC Address

6. tktk104

tktk104 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5
    You have the CORRECT forum name ... it's extraordinary that you could make ads disappear!! I'm VERY sick of the OVERWHELMING number of ads on a lot of sites!! Definitely overkill. I'm seriously impressed that you have an idea that just might eliminate them!! **bowing in awe**

7. goodald

goodald Member Guru

GPU:
    580 Asus DCII
    I've generally found that router based ad blockers are more trouble than they're worth.

While they usually work, I've had them cause issues with some sites.

You may even forgot that you have it installed and not realize till some time later that the reason something doesn't work right is because of changes you made on your router.

If the blocker is built into the client, I can just turn it off (if anything to at least make sure it's the blocker causing the issue). When the blocker is in the router I now have to log into it and disable it; as this functionality is usually shoe-horned in with scripts turning them on and off is additional effort you have to go through.

Feel free to give it a try, maybe things have progressed from when I used it. I did, however, find it caused more headaches than it solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.