Windows 7 restarting/shutting down and failing to start up again

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Adma192, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Adma192

Adma192 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    Here are the results of the HD utility.

[​IMG]

But I still can't get memtest to work.. tried again but the same thing happened.. computer shut down pretty much immediately after I tried to boot from the CD and and 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD...' message that should have shown up was nowhere to be found. Is there anything special I need to note when burning the .iso to a CD or should it just work? I'll try using my dad's laptop to burn a CD instead and see if that works..

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You're getting HD errors because your system keeps shutting down improperly.
    If your system is restarting before it even gets to the software stage it is 100% hardware.
    Either, it is RAM, Mobo or power...
    If you have two or more sticks of ram...pull one out and see if the system will remain stable..if not keep testing each one until it becomes stable. I hope I am explaining this correctly. This may help until you get memtest working.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. Adma192

Adma192 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    God ****ing damnit I downloaded Nero and wasted like 4 CD's and memtest STILL will not ****ing work. The computer isn't shutting down, however - when I boot from the CD the screen now goes something like this..

Loading Operating System...
    Boot From CD/DVD...
    something something something 1.4mb

Then Windows just starts normally.

EDIT: Just had to reinstall again. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic since I couldn't get memtest working and it didn't find any errors. Is it a safe bet that it's my HD or should I still fiddle around with the memory?

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well it seems like the boot CD is not made right or it should pick it up and boot from the Memtest CD you made.
    Windows mem diagnostics is not good enough. You need memtest to test every cell of the ram. I would still suggest it is the ram considering the way you're describing the problem. Unless I am missing something...

5. Adma192

Adma192 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    That's the thing though.. what reason is there for my memtest CD not being bootable? I've tried two different computers, using Nero to specify that it's a boot CD and tried 4 different discs.. I can't understand why it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Okay, I FINALLY got memtest working.. had to right-click the .iso on the desktop and click "burn image to disc" - worked fine and found no errors with my memory. Called technical support and the guy said it was likely my HD - going to go exchange it now and see if it solves my problem.