Signs of PSU failure ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by needa, Mar 20, 2009.

1. needa

needa Member

GPU:
    Radeon R7 300 2 Gb
    I have a MB ASus P5Q premium (intel P45) , 8800 GTX XFX , q9540 with Creativ X-FI sound... I experience sound crashing.. one time the computer on reset doesn't boot up (I had to switch the PSU on/off) , I had graphical artifact one time and crash... , and after another sound crashing the BIOS got reset. All of these totaly random once per 3-4 hours, only when i play intensive CPU/GPU games.
    I started with these when I upgraded the CPU and the MB. My PSU is noname 500W.
    Should I change the PSU with one of 650 W ? these are signs of not enough power from the PSU ?

Thank you.

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Replace psu with quality named psu corsair/ocz/seasonic/coolermaster etc.

3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I 2nd that. No point in having a decent setup and power it with a crap PSU, only leads to problems like you have especially during intensive tasks.

4. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    PC Power&Cooling all the way, from 500W to anything you want depending on your future upgrade......

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    are you ocing anything by chance?

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Also before you dive right in and buy a new one is it not possible to borrow a friends perhaps and try it in your rig, preferably a more powerful better branded PSU see if you can reproduce the problems.

And like maxfly has asked, if your OC'ing might wanna kill it and see what happens

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I mean, if you are putting a lot of stress on your computer and thats the only time it crashes, I would take a wild guess and say the psu. If its a no name ( like everyone else has said ) get a new one... this one would probably do fine if it is the psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

8. kingsface

kingsface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 @ 900Mhz AXP
    I also think it's the PSU. In my old computer I was experiencing artifacts when gaming on 7600GS with some crappy PSU. I learnt the PSU had fried some part of it and that was it. The next first thing I got upgraded was my PSU even before GPU or CPU. Luckily I managed to get my GPU changed from the seller. But like the previous poster mentioned borrow a better PSU and check it out. I doubt the artifacts go away but atleast the restarting problem shouldn't be no longer be an issue.

9. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    I have been very happy with my ABS power supplies.
    My q6600 machine runs the 800 watt tagan, and my i7 runs the 1100 watt version.
    never a problem and they look great to boot.

One of my beefs with a lot of the better PSU units is that even though they are good they are ugly in a nicely modded case. If looks don't matter the plain ABS units are the same guts and work just as well.

I will also second the pc power and cooling units. I have heard nothing but good about them, but they, like the ABS units are not cheap. but either way a good PSU is a good investment and will usually last a couple platforms, or more.

10. needa

needa Member

GPU:
    Radeon R7 300 2 Gb
    Thanks a lot for all your replays , I changed the PSU but didn't help... I took back to the retailer my Asus P5Q Premium mother board , the processor (q9450) , and the ram kit. They made an Bios upgrade and they say now its fine , indeed I read on the Asus site that their bios upgrades "enhanced compatibility with yorkfield core processors" .. maybe this was the problem , I go today to take them back and to remake my system.
    After that If still I have problems I will come back here for some advices regards stability.

P.S.
    I didn't make and overclocking... all problems I had were on BIOS Default settings.

11. needa

needa Member

GPU:
    Radeon R7 300 2 Gb
    It appear that the BIOS update and the new chipset drivers from Asus were the solution for me... now the system is rock stable... no problem after 1 day of testings

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Cool. Hopefully your all sorted then, am i right in assuming that you didnt buy a new PSU and your old one is running fine?