Alternative to GSYNC-setting "VSync on + 142fps framelimit". What do you think?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vindor, Jun 7, 2017.

1. jorimt

jorimt Active Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX 4090
    Thanks for the heads up (on both) @khanmein.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  3. jorimt

jorimt Active Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX 4090
    Yup, true.

Regardless, always nice to have the latest version of anything, even if only for psychological purposes ;)

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So wait, did you test the input lag of NV inspector with that option the author said for reduced input lag?

I think it was set fast sync + reduced lag option or something like that

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yes, it was tested quickly, but not included in the article. The results were posted here:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3441#p26810

TL;DR: It is lower latency then the default (non-fastsync setting), but RTSS still wins by a good margin. Default: very bad (41ms). Fastsync+v1: bad (36ms). RTSS: good (28ms). In-game limiter: very good (23ms).

Btw, the most surprising thing the test uncovered is that, contrary to popular belief (me included), windowed mode g-sync gets rid of the DWM 1-frame input lag. Which is weird. Windowed mode and borderless windowed mode has the same input lag as exclusive fullscreen. But only with g-sync. Non-gsync windowed mode still has 1-frame lag.

Normally for that to happen, you'd need to be on W10's Creators Update, AND have fullscreen optimizations enabled and toggled on, AND the game in question must be on Microsoft's whitelist, AND the game must run in borderless fullscreen window mode, not in a normal window, AND pray to the Gods and have the constellations in the correct position because sometimes it doesn't even work. With g-sync, it seems we don't need to care about any of that.

Streaming CS:GO or Overwatch in a 1920x1080 window on a 1440p desktop is legit with g-sync :knock:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  6. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I have a 4k 60Hz G-Sync monitor (I'm still new to G-Sync) and I'm playing a lot PUBG in first person. My FPS is between 50 and 58 (with RTSS frame cap).

Today I tried:

0) G-Sync (ON) + V-Sync (OFF) with or without FPS cap at 58. ---> too much tearing

1) G-Sync (ON) + V-Sync (ON) + RTSS 58 FPS (Default at the moment. Better performance than 4, my old default).

2) G-Sync (OFF) + V-Sync (ON) + RTSS 58 FPS ---> Could this be similar to scenario 1???? I haven't feel a huge difference, maybe G-Sync was still enabled or something? (Monitor was saying Non-Gsync in OSD).

3) G-Sync (ON) + V-Sync (Fast) + RTSS 58 FPS ---> In this case I feel the game refreshing faster. Is not as smooth as scenario 1, but I think it's considerably faster.

And my old setting:

4) G-Sync (ON) + V-Sync (ON). Is ok with most games. But in this First person shooter, maybe not as good as 2

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Number 1 is the correct option to use.

With FPS cap vsync will not cause any performance/latency issues.

8. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    But is possible that with 3, I get a bit less smooth experience (at uncertain moments), but much faster in general?

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    There is nothing better about option 3 in any way.

10. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Ok then it must have been a placebo :bang:

11. rla1999

rla1999 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    In my case, I have a desktop with a gsync monitor and laptop without gsync. Should the vsync settings and fps limiter be done the same for both? Or different settings?

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    No. These settings are only for g-sync. If you cap the frame rate on a non-gsync monitor with vsync enabled, you get stutter.

If you still want to use vsync, then you can cap the frame rate to a value that is very near the refresh rate in order to reduce latency. There's instructions for this here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5380262#post5380262

13. rla1999

rla1999 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Great info. Thanks