MediaTek Uncovers Octa Core Cortex-A17 based chip

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    MediaTek is about to release the MT6595 which is an eight-core processor nased on ARM Cortex-A17 and A7. These SoCs feature four A17 cores clocked at 2.2GHz to 2.5GHz, four A7 cores clocked at 1.7GHz,...

MediaTek Uncovers Octa Core Cortex-A17 based chip

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'd rather like to see less cores, but with greater performance per-core.

3. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    I'm sure everyone would also but that's the limitation that all EE face on the cpu side even mighty Intel..

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well ideally, yeah, everyone would want that, but that isn't realistic. Every CPU manufacturer has something that gives the leverage over the others. ARM's success comes in performance-per-watt. Intel's success comes in performance-per-Hz, and AMD's comes from performance-per-dollar. Unlike x86, ARM's advantage in multi-core systems is their ability to allow little to no power to flow through a CPU core when it is idle. Intel sort of did this, but it's really crappy in comparison. An 8 core ARM CPU could have the same performance of a higher-clocked quad core but use significantly less power, simply because the cores will shut off when not in use. In x86, you would want to take the opposite approach - make each core better in favor of less cores. An i7 is proportionally more power efficient than an i3 (or, they were at one point anyway).

Always remember that in the IC world, heat is a sign of inefficiency. If you can run a CPU with passive cooling, or no heatsink at all, you don't want to push that core to be doing any more than it is. So, if the CPU core is running at peak efficiency, it makes sense to add more cores to get more performance.

5. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    CPU needs

Hey guys

I've been silent for quite a while now, but this piqued my interest.
    I have seen the gradual rise of superpowered mobile processors, and yet many people clamor for more power.

Can I ask what do you feel your mobile SoC , assuming you have one of the higher end ones, needs to improve in?
    I mean, battery life is a given, but in terms of performance, what is needed more?

Cheers
    NoamM

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I've wondered the same thing. I'm sure you will appreciate this:
    http://funny-stand-up-comedy-central.blogspot.com/2013/02/louis-ck-big-complaints-about-cell.html

7. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    To be honest I wasnt taking the Louie CK route, but I do agree with him.
    I work in Qualcomm (Not the SoC division, so I dont have any internal info) but I do have access to unlimited devices, and I have to say that I am dumbfounded at the amount of power modern devices have.

But yet I hear that people want more and more power.
    Now, I am a decent power user, but I believe there are people with different use cases who can enlighten me: What limits your daily use in the SoC department? What "slows you down" that makes you need a better SoC?

Other than super duper console level 4k graphics gaming. Which I totally get and I take for granted as a need.
    I am talking about needs other than that.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Right, Louis was talking more about just phone services in general, while you're talking about processing power and usage performance. But the bottom line is the same - people are just impatient and expect perfection and speed out of thin air. If you think the complaints you get at Qualcomm are bad, I'm sure AMD has it much worse. At least Qualcomm isn't entirely responsible for their chip designs. It is a shame people are so picky. I personally don't own a smartphone; I can afford one, I just don't care. The only thing I'd want out of it is snapchat and the convenience of quickly looking up something but that's about it.

9. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't get me wrong (or qoute me). I am not saying Qualcomm gets complaints, and if it does, I know nothing about that.
    If anything, from the forums I read I assumed that their processors are often considered the top tier , and IMO rightfully so. They are awesome.

But given you guys are , by posting here, considered edge users, what would you like your next mobile chips to do / be able to do?

10. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Teleport me to the person I wish to speak to :banana: diagnose whether or not I have cancer so I can start taking debilitating drugs :puke2: let me see through walls and well just make my coffee in the morning

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    the above was totally sarcasm personally if you need more power than your cell phone can give you then buy a freaking laptop

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Not performance related, but I'd like one that actually released the Damn sources so we can get proper custom roms.