Sim City 2013 Launch is one big Sim Failure

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Why would making the game run on a single core, fool people to think it needs DRM? I don't understand.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm not sure he understands his argument either.

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    if you see lucy bradshaw's blog post that i changed instead of her interview you see why:

GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game -- the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer.

SOURCE

Now please blame me for being a fool again. There are only 2 of you who don't get it, the rest of metacritic's 1000+ negative reviewers and amazon's 1000+ one star voters who decided to ask refunds and made AMAZON stop selling SimCity seemed to get it. Im not gonna argue with two people anymore, there are thousands of people who get it!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The target audience is very different to most other games. So it would make sense to get the game running on many different systems. They are doing this by taken some CPU usage away.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They did a good job of simulating Diablo 3's launch .. maybe worse.

6. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    More reasons to get the more reliable, DRM free, somewhat cheaper versions of games like this. I'll admit i have pirated to avoid a DRM before, I wont be missing out due to companies failing. I wont however pirate unless i feel it is better for the game industry if i don't pay for it.

7. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    7800XT
    Its sad to see another premiere title product being killed by EA. So many titles so many poor reviews. God forbid they ever got hold of the Elite franchise that would be the final heart break for me. Simple solution vote with your wallet (electronic download here £44 amazon £34) and keep your money for companies that actually make an effort to entertain.

8. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

Go blow your horse**** somewere else.. If it is only a one core game then why does my 8 core or excuse me my 4 module 8 thread CPU always have 4 cores at 80% or better and the other 4 are jumping between 10~40%... I dont see one core thats at 100% the whole time..

If you dont like EA Maxis or whatever dont buy the game... But to me SimCity is awsome fun! Way to addictive and well yes the first few hours the game came out they had server lag.. Yesterday they were doing maintenance on the servers as well to make them better to handle more people.. I cannot get mad at them.. I mean if any server got slammed with millions of people trying to connect to a game.. Well any server would go down or slow down and have a hickup.. Do you guys get pissed off when the Guru3d server gets flooded and it has a hickup or goes down for alittle bit.. pfff.. Get a grip and grow up. No body is perfect, and i would complain if i still couldnt get on, but guess what its running just fine today... :bigsmile:

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Well Said, Sir......:thumbup:

10. HEXXEN9x

HEXXEN9x Member

GPU:
    gtx 760
    'Face palmed self to death'

pre-order and EA should never exists in the same sentence unless its being bashed. now... that's set and done the why cant you the buyers let EA crumble and disappear so other companies with bigger hearts sell us higher quality games after pillaging EAs corps.

Its people like you that feed the beast and keep our some of our favorite games owned by corporate monsters, thanks.:puke2:

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    funny, I played my LEGAL copy 3 days before it launched in my region (UK) :p

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While review sites have different needs, I don't believe any consumer should pre order any PC game, the platform is a mess when it comes to issues and people should know this by now.
    Same thing with season passes, why the hell would you pay for more of a game before you know if you like the game or not, tbh think this race to play it first messes with peoples head.

While i hate Blizzard and so far in my life have never had an issue with EA, Diablo 3 clearly was handled much better than this.

I have to ask what is it with Maxis games, the last time a PC game launched to this sort of poor press was Spore.
    Now there is no 100% way of knowing if the online only was a gameplay choice or a DRM choice, but it does make you think Maxis have a greater fear of piracy than the rest of the companies who work for EA.

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, if you're facepalming using others' faces, I think that'd be rather rude.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EA isn't really experienced with this sort of thing, Blizzard has been running WoW for 9 or so years and they still had issues with D3's launch. I think EA bit off more than they could chew. I wouldn't be surprised if they made an anti-piracy choice as their sims titles appeal to the casual audience a lot and is more sought after as an unauthorized download as compared to other core games. Who knows, may be the next major Sims game will be like this as well.

15. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    They blew it big time.

Moral of the story is: Never try to turn an exclusively singleplayer game into multiplayer. :p

Also hear that trolls are running rampant, taking over cities, running them into the ground with debt and then abandoning them, totally screwing up regions.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sounds like it, and usually when EA try to copy Blizzard it goes badly for them.

The fact the beta testing went without a hitch sounds like alot more people bought it than who downloaded the beta, or something technical went tits up this week.

Either way, whether it be for DRM or gameplay, if your going to launch an online game, especially one that costs a good bit more than most games these days, there is no excuse for messing things up on launch.

The fact that most EA games are still pretty good is what is keeping them going, but they can't keep having messed up launches like this, and i doubt they will try and sweeten people with free stuff either.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's terrible if it's true. Didn't 4chan pull off something silly like that on an internet game a few years ago? :p

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The server issues can't be that bad if trolls are able to run rampant.

Either that rumour is exaggerated or the service issues are.

19. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Also heard of people ending up having serious trouble because another player decided to abandon/demolish an established city which they depended on.

When it does not work its a mess, when it works its still a mess it seems.
    Don't know what on earth they were thinking.

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    thanks for letting everyone ser how far a brainwashed EA customer can go defending his game and company. Shamr for some people considering themselves gamers for having this "horse vision" ;)
    Ok you are not mad, how about IGN?
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...ublishers-on-the-dangers-of-always-online-drm
    Yes, please go on telling me how sim city is so great?

"But Sash, you're still a moron, fool, idiot and all other insults i can think of with my small remote control EA brain"
    O rly? Check out gamespots uk's review:
    http://www.gamespot.com/simcity/reviews/simcity-review-6405012/?edition=desktop

Eurogamer.se gave it a 10 because they played a beta from 1 week prior to launch and also got payed by EA, now the only 10 review is waved all over simcity's website like a victory flag, lol

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013