Blurry image while connecting led tv to pc via Hdmi

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Morgemil, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    Basically the problem is that the image is blurred when connecting the pc to a jvc led tv via hdmi. It´s a if it is as applying some kind of filter. Moreover, when connected by vga everything looks much clearer and defined.

It´s not the ccc underscan problem.

My PC: Phenom II X4 965@3.4Ghz / TA790GX A3 + / plate 3gb ati sapphire 7950 Vapor x / GSkill DDR3 8GB (4x4GB) / Disc: 128gb crucial m4 (so); Samsung spinpoint f3 1 tb / Windows 7 64.

The tv is a jvc 32 ¨: 32dr531 model.

Thanks in advance.

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    display settings aren't right...

4. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    I will, thanks.

The tv menu is quite basic, even more through hdmi, and no amount of tinkering with ccc or windows display settings has fixed the issue.

Thanks for the anwers :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Think it's in the TV (input) settings. Does the TV menu have specific input options like PC, (PC) Gaming, direct passthrough or something like that? Or overscan or something like that in resolution settings? And/or try to set the desired resolution and scaling manually.

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i had same issue with my tele, and of course Morgemil has tried every single setting his tele has.
    My tele has only hdmi inputs, however one says 'hdmi /dvi' - this is the one to use for hooking up to pc, and the only way to get a crisp picture is to ditch hdmi cable and go for one with dvi-d on the other end, perhaps even hdmi > displayport would work too, however hdmi > hdmi doesn't work.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Could it be a colour issue? Could be a YCBCR problem? I know Samsung TVs distinguish their HDMI ports by saying that HDMI1 is a DVI compatible port and is for PC connection...

deltatux

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Using just a hdmi cable the image was quite horrid tbh whatever color setting, and for the record i can still select YCBCR setting using the hdmi /dvi-d cable.

9. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    THIS. The tv menu doesn´t have the later (hdmi /dvi) only vga.

I was wondering: Would it work with an hdmi cable connected to dvi (pc) through an dvi-hdmi adapter?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I dunno if the adaptor would work or if the image would still be blurry, when i was trying to get a sharper image i was also trying to get 120hz, adaptors can't do 120hz but the cable can, so perhaps it's the same but the adaptor is perhaps worth a try first.

11. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    Okok, its just an ordinary 60hz tv so perhaps it will work. Anyway, thanks for for taking the time to answer. I will ¨report my findings¨ :)

12. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I've never seen a TV supporting inputs over 60Hz yet. Monitors with built-in TV cards being the exception perhaps.
    But a proper dual link adapter supports frequencies over 60Hz of course.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    Well, the adapter was a no go and the quality of the dvi-hdmi cables of the retailers in the city where I live is dismal. I guess vga will have to do for the time being. Once again, thanks for the answers :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  14. When I had my 5850's I had this issue, never really found a fix for it. What version HDMI cable are you using man?

For me, I was plugging HDMI into my 5850, and using it on my Samsung syncmaster xl2370, no amount of tinkering, drivers (AMD HDMI standalone or the full CCC suite) seemed to fix it. But I think back in them days I was only using like a HDMI 1.2 cable...

As soon as I plugged in via DVI it was clear as crystal and im assuming you'd have the same conclusion if you tried a dvi to HDMI adaptor and plugged in via your gfx cards DVI connection.

Hope someone can get to the bottom of it for ya man!

15. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    Hi Enmity, thanks for the response and the ¨good vibes¨ :), and sorry for the late answer:

1- I´ve tried with practically every cable connection known to man, in all its many iterations, and I´ve come to the conclusión that this particular model and brand of tv (I doesn´t even appear on jvc website, I think it´s exclusive to my country, Argentina) just won´t work that way.

2- That just left me with the d sub connection to plug it on to a pc but... guess what:

A few days after my last post here, it just stopped working properly:
    > Before the connection was recognized a VGA (the same label that has the d-sub source has on the control menu) but..
    > after a while, it just wouldn´t take the tv anymore, windows labeled it as ¨Generic Non-PnP Monitor¨, no matter what pc it was plugged to.

To make matters worse it also started to flicker furiously.

Finally it sent to rma, God willing I´ll get a refund or at least a replacement.

Bottom line, if you live in Argentina stay away from the jvc 32¨ 32dr531 tv.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

16. the11ama

the11ama Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
    I've had this issue, too, with 3 HDTVs. I used HDMI-HDMI connections for them all. The fix for me was setting the input's name to 'PC' from the TV settings menu, which switched the TV's mode to act like a monitor.

Any other input name won't work, and I think it takes newer TVs to support it, some having had support longer than others.

I did also notice that not all HDMI inputs will work. If your TV has the ability to name inputs, and one of the options is 'PC', run with it. If you have issues, switch to the first or second (sometimes third or fourth) HDMI port and try again.

Edit: the 3 HDTVs were not at the same time, and were different brands. Also, your HDTV might have a slightly different label than 'PC'.

17. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    Thanks for answering :) : Yes, I tried all that already. Sadly,the tv menu is painfully basic, there is no way to change imput labels.
    They sold it to me as a new, and in theory it´s, but in reality it has less features than similar products from 5 years ago (in 2010 a friend of mine bought an hdtv lcd from a minor brand (on a sale) and it had no issues whatsoever)

18. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    You set it up as a secondary monitor ? or main ? ..

I have got 2 samsung, both 1080p.. all i have to do, is wire an HDMI to the HDMI on TV ... never have any problem ( and ofc for screen mirroring, with a monitor 1080p.. not even any tweaks to do )..

Outside what said SLI... the only thing i see is to change setting in the CCC.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    I´ve tried every combination posible, thinking maybe it was just a handshake issue.
    Botton line: It is just a crappy hdtv homebrew here in Argentina that, somehow, got the rights to have the jvc brand stamped on it.
    The tv control menu looks like it was outsourced to the same people that develops the software used in many a cheap ipod knockoff.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  20. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It's the chroma subsampling issue with earlier name-brand HDTV's and budget-brand TV's that don't handle the HDMI audio extension with existing DVI information in the EDID very well.

I had this issue with my 2010 LG 32LD450. I bought a 2013 LG 32LN5300 and by applying the PC label to an HDMI input, I get 4:4:4 full chroma working properly with 5.1 LPCM to my HDMI receiver. If you find that you can't get it to work through your PC input label trick, then you must override your Display's EDID to make it think its a DVI-only connection (essentially HDMI is DVI + Audio). This will disable audio unfortunately. Search "EDID Override Nvidia/AMD" on your favorite search engine or these forums and you will find your answer.

The reason there is a PC label for your TV, is to convert your TV from expecting a YCbCr encoded signal (for broadcast TV, Blu-ray, or DVD viewing) to expecting a RGB uncompressed signal that a graphics card outputs. Its a faster conversion for color space that will reduce input delay immensely and convert your HDTV into a "monitor". So use it with your HDMI-equipped PC or Game console.