AS SSD Benchmark Result

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 28, 2013.

1. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  2. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Check, check and check.

Latest chipset and RST installed.

Boot order is still as it has always been. ssd,hdd,cd

3. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    What is rapid mode?

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    It uses 1 GB system memory as cache to speed up operations.

5. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Interesting. Is that built into windows? I assume that could make you more prone to data loss in the event of a power failure if it hasn't flushed the buffer to disk on writes?

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Rapid mode primetime^ dude is using is nothing more than "cheat" that boosts test scores and for sure in real-life situations that 1GB cache from system RAM is helping a bit to compensate SATA2 bottleneck. SSD benchamarks are fooled by that 1GB of system cache and that's why results are so high with SATA3 SSD connectedc to SATA2 port.

7. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Ah, I see. That's something for the Samsung EVO 840s. I don't have the EVOs, so it wouldn't work for me anyway. And I'm in RAID-0, and I don't want to break up the RAID set to enable this even if I could. Seems interesting though! From reading the documentation on Samsung's site, I'm not sure why it could only be used with their drives, but it is their software they can do what they want :)

8. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    [​IMG]
    heres mine

9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    From Samsung_SSD_Rapid_Mode_Whitepaper:

"RAPID was specifically designed to not add any additional risk to user or system data, even in the event of a power-loss. In fact, RAPID strictly adheres to Windows conventions in its treatment of any buffered writes in DRAM -- RAPID obeys all Samsung’s SSD 840 “flush” commands, so any writes buffered by RAPID will make it to the persistent media just like the Windows OS cache or the HDD cache. (Consequently, the data loss risk is identical to that of Windows OS cache or HDD cache)."

And it's mostly cosmetic, helping in some, slowing some tasks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  10. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I'll be the first to admit...the grand total score from this benchmark doesn't mean hill of beans in reality...although it helps me feel like its setup properly

Seem's I have read it mentioned here and there, make an image backup, secure erase or low level format the ssd then restore the image is about the best you can get from any ssd...or at least to best restore it to brand new performance levels

and regarding rapid mode...its likely only shows in benchmarks, if it were turned off without knowledge, i bet know one could tell...but it don't seem to hurt anything