AOC WITH 2 x ATI XFX 7970BE in CROSSFIRE has STUTTER, UPDOWN FPS & FLICKERING SHADOWS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Diasgod, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Diasgod

Diasgod Guest

GPU:
    2 X XFX BE 7970
    I have the below PC system:

CPU: Intel core i7 3820 3,6GHZ (OC at 4,2GHZ)
    M/B: Asrock extreme 9 X79
    RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR 3 2144MHZ
    HD:
    2XSSD 60GHZ in raid 0 (Operating system installed: Windows 8 PRO x64)
    1xSSD OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (Age of conan client directory installed)
    VGA: 2 X ATI XFX7970BE in crossfire mode
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF942
    PSU: Coolermaster 1000Watt
    Monitor: Overlord Tempest X270OC working at WQHD 2560x1440 resolution with 100hz refresh rate.

ATI DRIVERS: 13.1 CATALYST (LATEST)

ASROCK DRIVERS: LATEST

My problem is very weird. I play my favorite game Age of Conan with all details in max settings in DirectX 10 without FXAA and bloom.

First choise playing in fullscreen:

When I choose fullscreen resolution (2560x1440) ingame in the outside cities in open world I have 110 up to 170fps. Inside dungeons i see the extraordinary number of 360fps. When I arrived for example in the city of wild lands of Zelata fps dropped to 60. U are thinking the same as me. Very good performance. The opposite happens…...Even outside or inside cities I notice flickering shadows and the most important a very disturbing stutter on my screen like shaker like repeated Cuts in my screen on the left and on the right of my character. This makes the game unstable and unplayable.

Second choise playing in windowed fullscreen:

When I choose windowed fullscreen resolution (2560x1440) ingame the FPS reaches 70 up to 90 outside cities. When I arrived for example in the city of wild lands of Zelata fps dropped to 24. Every few seconds inside the city I show an updown fps from 24 to 75 like an elevator. Stuttering disappears and game is very smooth. My problem is that sometimes my game freezes for 2 or 3 seconds and I hear in this incident my graphic cards working from a high to very low speed.

My first solution is to play the game in fullscreen disabling shadows. Disabling shadows u are disabling godrays and the game looks very ungly like an MMO game with its age of 10 years old.
    My second solution is to play the game with one card disabling Crossfire but performance is not good.
    This is rediculus and for god shake with this powerfull system can u play this game under these circumstances?? Answer is no at all.

All these days I read the posts and threads and I was looking also at google searching for this problem. All they said that the cause is the Dreamworld engine that doesn’t support Crossfire and SLI modes.

I would like to inform u also that I don’t have any problems playing other MMO and FPS games like GW2 or Dishonored. Fps is stable and games looked very smoothness and wonderfull.

All that we want and We would like is to play our favorite game…………

Υour opinion your advice is very valuable.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    Try the 13.2Beta 4 mate. (Or Beta 5 if your playing Crysis 3 demo, but it has issues with some other stuff)

These Beta's have solved flickering in quite a lot of games now and improved latency no end. FPS aside, they feel a LOT smoother indeed on most of teh stuff I play.

Be sure to uninstall old drivers first using the official AMD uninstaller, and if they are still there, remove CAPS package seperately. The 13.2 betas dont need a CAPS package.

3. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    P.S:
    As an aside, not sure if you know or not, but Crossfire doenst work in windows, only full screen.

4. Diasgod

Diasgod Guest

GPU:
    2 X XFX BE 7970
    I used the latest beta of catalyst drivers 13.2 version 5 and the game partially was resolved. Stuttering dissapeared game looks smoothness but the up down framerates stays like before and the flickering shadows also....maybe with the official unleash of 13.2 should solve them once for all.....thanks stu@MSD my problems solved at 50%.

5. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    I am glad your making progress mate, its a lot of money to spend and not be able to enjoy games... I pulled a lot of hair out last year as I bought three on launch in January and they didn't work properly until bloody Xmas

Its worth noting that any game that has a DX9 option doesn't usually suffer as much from stuttering and flickering in my experience. No idea if that helps with your games as they aren't to my taste, I prefer firing rockets are poor unsuspecting soldiers in FPS games. LOL

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    Thinking aloud - It may well be worth caping your framerate with Vsync for an overall smoother experience, capped to 60hz on yours I expect, and it will take a lot of stress of the GPU's and cool them down a lot as you may be experiencing thermal throttling. (Core speed is dropped to reduce temps automatically)

It is well worth checking your temperatures and using GPU-Z to record a datalog of clockspeeds and temperatures during gaming. You may just be thermally throttling which will result in your up and down framerates.

If its electrical load throttling though which is also possible if your high temps are causing you to approach the cards TPD limit (250w from memory), be sure to set CCC Power to +15% or above to extend that TPD. (+15% is my sweetspot on 3x 7970s but I am watercooled)

Please report back your findings mate. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Diasgod

Diasgod Guest

GPU:
    2 X XFX BE 7970
    sTU@msd thanks for your interesting. I would like to tell u that electrical throttling i believe is not the cause of up down framerates because this happenning only in this game (Age of Conan). I played GW2, Dishonored and i can hear my cards one moment to be quiet while the other moment are noisy but my char is always moved normally i didn't notice any lag or freeze framerates are high and stable ''uncontrast'' of Conan......

8. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    You may be right, it may just be an anomaly in this game but by the same token, you would likely be VERY surprised how different Power consumption can be between games mate.

Examples on my own system:

Call Of duty Black Ops 2
    [​IMG]

Metro 2033:
    [​IMG]

Same system, same resolution, same overclocks, in fact, same night. :)

9. Diasgod

Diasgod Guest

GPU:
    2 X XFX BE 7970
    What is this...i mean this device.....?