dedicated physX card

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by DerSchniffles, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Maybe I just needed to google a little better but It seems all the info I find is 2+ years old.....what is the minimum card I need for dedicated physX? Can I get away with a GT620 for $50 or is that not going to be enough? Not sure if 96 Cuda cores will cut it in todays games let alone the future but I have a hard time justifying spending more than 50-60 bucks on a dedicated card.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You need a PhysX card that can keep up with your primary graphics card....which a GT620 will never do. You'd be better off letting your GTX760 handle PhysX.

3. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Pretty much this, I used to use my old 9600GT as a PPU when I first got my GTX 570 and performance was worse using that that letting the GTX take all the strain.

Just use the GTX760 it'll be miles ahead and more importantly you'll have less heat and power draw in your system.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Get your self one of these puppies! ;)

[​IMG]

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    For dedicated PhysX with a GTX760...you'd need something like a GTX460 or GTX560Ti....

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Thanks guys, I guess it was just wishful thinking haha. The 760 does good in Borderlands 2 for the most part unless im in a big area with 3 other friends and everything is going banana sandwich. Planetside 2 turns into a slideshow with anything higher than low physX and personally I think that game looks AMAZING with all the physX turned up.

If I ever find a cheap card thats powerful enough I might give it a go but for now I guess ill be okay haha.

Thanks again guys.

7. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Old school, Ageia PPU. Always wanted one, glad I was skint because they only lasted about a year until Nvidia bought them out and they weren't cheap either if I recall.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wanted one too. I was just too cheap to pay for it and don't play any games that actually use PhysX...lol

GTX660 would probably work....but good luck finding one cheap. I couldn't even find a used one for a reasonable price. Maybe even a 650Ti or 650Ti Boost could work, dunno....but my GT640 wasn't worth a damn for PhysX in 3DMark Vantage....actually got a higher score using just the 660...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's because in Vantage, the PhysX test is the only thing running during that portion of the test so the GPU doesn't have to context switch between rendering and PhysX. (This context switching is why using a properly sized GPU can give a decent boost in FPS on PhysX titles.) Back to Vantage... So, if your primary GPU is stronger than your dedicated PhysX GPU, then your PhysX score will suffer using a dedicated PhysX GPU in Vantage.

10. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    i use my gtx 670 4 physX with gtx 780s in sli .........:speed:

11. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    I have a GTX780 with a GT610 for physx and working ok. The GT610 handle the physx propely and i tested in metro last light with physx high. The usage was between 10% to 90% for physx and my GPU usage was between 20% to 99%. Same thing for batman arkham city and batman origin. I use also the physx software fluid mark to test the physx.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013