Resouldering Components

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Faces Of Death, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Guest

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    ive been looking around at some businesses and they offer a resouldering service, the tool looks like a microscope

ive resoludered power connectors onto laptop mobo's etc but the amount of heat it took seemed quite dangerous

even if the price is like 10G's is there some sort of cold souldering tools available?

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The heat's not all that dangerous.

But there is a tool called cold heat that does what you're asking for way cheap. But the reviews are mediocre.

3. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Use a solder paste to tip the solder iron in before you go to the solder joints, your iron increase the heat and melting goes faster.
    To prevent that the capacitors getting overheated by the long touch of your iron hold the legs of the capacitor on the other side of the electronic circuit boards with a; http://www.hmk.nl/view_product.php?database=gereedschap&productID=9907016&groep=gereedschap
    This way it absorb the heat and it will not transfer to the capacitors or other electronic parts.

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    It's a piece of crap, i have one, almost never used it.
    The tip is soft and "gritty" to the touch, and it breaks easily, so you'd be replacing the $10 tips regularly.

Get yourself a hakko 936, or a chinese knock off. i have a komec 936 which is a hakko knock-off, works great.

Now then, Resoldering components depending on which ones, can be a bit tricky.
    Large capacitors require you to work quickly, and with high heat.
    Surface mount can be done by hand with a bright light, a steady hand some tweezers and a good iron.

Here's the deal though, you may be looking into BGA Resoldering (rework). Which they heat a large IC like a north bridge, to melt the connecting solder, lift it.
    Then go over the board AND the ic with a wick and hot iron to clean up any solder, then use a special silkscreen and paste to re-apply solder so they can re-attach the chip. It's a bit tedious, but can be done quickly.
    It's the only proper way to fix motherboards that used improper or weak solder on northbridges etc. Usually the fix, uses much better solder than was used at the factory.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What kind of components?
    There are many tools outhere and many advices and tehniques,but in the end a good tool a good soldering iron pays off.
    I use a Hakko 888 and i bought the tweezer soldering iron for it,it helps big time when soldering surface mount components.
    If you are afraid to fry something use Kapton tape,thus insulating the soldering area,preventing heat damage.
    Also ,i use hot air soldering station,you have to consider some factors.
    I set the heating element at 420 C,but air meets the soldering board at merely 260 C,and lead free solder melts at aprox 220 240 C.
    To anyone who didn' t witnesssed hot air soldering it will look like a madman job,but it is pretty safe.
    And a good flux makes a world difference.

6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I just use a 45W goot soldering iron with a small tip and a roll of flux core lead/tin solder yes I know lead is poisonous but hey what isn't these days

7. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Guest

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    thanks for the advice guys :)

8. XL_ence

XL_ence Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2T
    What kind of component are you trying to solder? Bad soldering tools will make the job exponentially more difficiult. You certainly do not need to spend 10,000 to get good set of soldering tools that will do your job safely and easily.

Metcal makes some of the best soldering irons. Metcal and Hakko are the industry standard for other soldering tools.