D3D Overrider

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Exalix, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Exalix

Exalix Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Hi there!

First, I wanna say thanx a lot for the new Rivatuner!

Could someone please explain what the benefits are with D3D Overrider. Enabling triplebuffering is also available in the Forceware driver settings, so what is the big deal? Have I totally misunstood something here?

2. Exalix

Exalix Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Please, somebody explain to me, why enabling triple buffering in Direct3D, is so hiped with the new release of RT.
    What do I get when forcing triple buffering in Direct3D?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    if i understand it correctly, triple buffering means that you can enable vsync without getting horrible framerates(30 or even 15) when your gpu cant give 60fps.

btw, take it easy on the bumps, just because in 2 hours nobody has answered, doesnt mean nobody will, especially on christmas day.

4. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Triple buffering in drivers is only available for OpenGL. The D3D overrider is for forcing triple buffering in all direct3D games, by making a direct call on the api itself. This in turn prevents tearing on games when synced to your monitor refresh rate, very important if you use a TFT as they use a low refresh rate, as well as prone to tearing.

tearing is a real problem in fast paced games such as Unreal Tournament, one of the reasons I have not made the jump. Oh and the fact I have one of the best CRT ever made in an IIyama 454 that does 1600X1200 @100hz. Bear in mind triple buffering does require Vram, so if your using a VRAM intensive games such as Oblivion with a 256mb card, it could impare FPS when you run out of local memory on the card. You ca counter this by using lower textures that use less memory footprint.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  6. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Guest

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    I got one better. My 21" Trinitron does 1920x1200@85Hz. No need for V-synch, no tearing, no jaggies here......lol......

You are spot on about the Triple buffering for D3D. Only OpenGL allows for the forcing of triple buffering. That's what the nVidia CP force triple buffering is all about. In the nVid user CP, it's only for OpenGL. That's why the D3D Triple Buffering Override is so cool. It does the same thing for D3D games. It works best if you have 512 MB of vid card RAM. I have used forced D3D triple buffering with 256 MB cards and it works OK. Bottom line , is that it keeps your frames from really bottoming out when V-synch is on.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  7. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    First off, thanks for Rivatuner, it's awesome.

I have vsync enabled in FEAR and the forced D3D gave me a gain of 8 FPS, that is friggin' awesome!!

8. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb

I said one of them :p And my monitor can do the same res @ 85hz. In fact it can all the way to 2048X1536 @ 75hz.

/pokes tongue out lol

9. bagman

bagman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Please excuse my ignorance here but.....are you still required to enable triple buffering in the nVidia control panel and/or in-game or does this application do it for you ?

In other words, do you simply enable V-Sync in-game and then let this application automatically force-enable triple buffering ?

cheers and thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  10. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Right...but.. D3DOverrider is for Direct X API. The NV control panel is for OpenGL API. D3DOverrider needs to run in the system tray.

Most games today are using DirectX but you need to find out which API for sure.

API=Application Programming Interface.

11. bagman

bagman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060