better to do 3 sets of push ups(each set being 35 Pushups)OR many as possible at once

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dope18, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    to those health / Exercise experts...

Is it better to do 3 sets of push ups(each set being 35 Pushups)OR as many as possible at once?

I currently do 3 sets...same thing for situps

2. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    If u want to go for mass u do power lifting (as much weight as u can lift, with a few repetitions), if u want to tone your muscles then u do more repetitions at low kg, so i guess the same principles apply to pushups.

3. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

My advice is to do like 6 sets as many as you can do as fast as you can do them. I would also recommend doing a set of crunches after every two sets of push-ups. So.....two sets push-ups, one set crunches,..three times.

4. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    It all depends on how much of your muscles are broken down after exercising. Do too little exercise and your muscles don't break down much and thus don't build up much. Do too much and your muscles won't fully heal and you actually can become weaker.

A problem is that if you do something fairly easy on your muscles but for a long duration you'll run out of energy, without breaking down your muscles and not getting stronger. (Ex. pushups 20+) This will improve muscle tone and endurance, but it won't make you too much stronger. Much more beneficial is benchpressing.

I recommend doing 2 sets of 35, and on the 3rd go all out. You really can't do something like that every day though. If you're sore for more than 2 days after excercising you have to cut back. Going as fast as possible isn't necessarily the best. Going down and up slowing could be a good idea. You must be consistant in what you do, like don't do pushups faster one day than another. You also have to keep increasing the amount of pushups you do, like go up to 40 in a week or 2.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006

5. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

The faster the better...http://www.fitness.com/fitness_exercise/v1005237908.php...although don't do it carlessly or haphazardly.....I would go into a whole shpeil cuz I know what I'm talking about but I gotta go to bed so if you wanna be sore and not see any gain then do what detective dip**** says and do it slow.......but if you are trying to bulk up then benching is what you want to do but you didn't ask about that so I didn't say anything about it .....one of the purposes of rapid lifting is to train and condition an athlete or yourself to generate maximum force at higher and higher movement speeds....thus getting stronger and building muscle.....but like I said don't do it as fast as greased lightning, don't be dumb about it just do it fast...period.

6. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    **** You *******. I was only trying to help.

I guess you've never heard of doing negatives, which is what a lot of heavy lifters do.

7. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    Id go with what khenglish said, slow consistent sets of push ups will tone you if thats what you want, I am starting to do that myself.

8. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    I was slightly wrong though. Only going down slow is supposed to be very good for you.

The idea of exploding upward is the basic idea of powercleans, where you lift the bar off the ground to your chest as fast as possible. Fast stuff really stresses good form and a lot of people don't like it. The most common stuff like benchpressing and squating are moderately paced, and can be very slow on higher weights.

A lot of it depends on what you like to do and if it's working.

9. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Do three sets and do each set to failure, no matter how many reps it takes. The only way to make gains doing push ups is to take them to failure.

Do that 3 nights a week, say....Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

10. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I used to do pushups alot. First I'd do as many as I could which was 100 pushups, then the next set 40 or 50 and then a last set of 40.

I recommend doing the first set as much as you can and then the second and third set till you can't do anymore. Also, have a protein shake after.

11. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    wow...

thanks guys...

that was alot of good advice...

any of you run AND do pushups/situps? if so whats your routine?

12. cepher2101

cepher2101 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900gs KO
    I am by no means, an athlete. But, I do have a bad back, and I have to take physical therapy for the rest of my life.

My trainer tells me that lots of routine of small workouts will help shape and move the muscles better. Thats what I do. Supposedly, a complete drain-out will strain muscles instead of build 'em.

13. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    I lift weights 4 to 5 days a week at the gym. I used to run about 5 years ago, but if I run now I get over-trained, so I just lift weights. My sessions are rather intense, so I don't have the energy left over for aerobics.

The combinatin of running and push-ups is good though, but I'd add some chin-ups for your back as well.

As long as the intensity is right (you don't get out of breath) it is safe to run everyday. Only anaerobic excercise should be done every other day if training the same muscle group in low volume.

For instance, M-W-F, do three sets up pull-ups to failure super-setted with three sets of push ups to failure (one set at a time of course :p) then jog for about 20 minutes or so afterwards. On T-Th-S, run for 30 minutes perhaps.
    You don't need much more than that.

That will give you 2 1/2 hours a week of aerobics which is plenty.

Oh yeah, don't forget your stomach. Do some crunches too :)

14. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

I just got up to use the lav. and decided to check out this thread....knew I'd get responses after my comment but that's exactly what I intended.

I run 3-5 miles Mon, Wed, and Fri night right after work. I lift quads/back/biceps on Tue,.... Hamstrings/chest/triceps on Thur,.....and Calves/shouldr/traps/delts on Saturday since it's my day off and I have longer time to pump without having to hurry for other things. I don't take any supplements and I eat vegetables, chicken, fish and drink whatever the hell I want to.....the end

Sorry for sounding rude earlier, I was just tired.

15. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Hey Jammer, cool exercise routine you got there :)

I walk instead of run because running can jar your knees but I also do weights. I pretty much exercise everyday and just have a protein shake. I find the protein helps me but I also eat lots of chicken, fish and veg and fruit.
    I still get pizza once a week and eat not so good food, you gotta treat yourself to some tasty food sometimes.

16. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

Most definitely:thumbup:

17. zietleben

zietleben Master Guru

GPU:
    6800gs
    hmmm work out 3 times a week run 1 mile + 4 times a week( hey im getting there ) and go to swim practice 6 days a week

18. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Healthy food is tasty :p

j/k

I know what you mean, but ain't no way I am wasting my hard work at the gym by eating junk...:D

19. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    In regards to fast vs slow, it is best to vary, but doing slower negatives than positives is the best way to go overall. Go down as slow as you can (atleast a 2-3 count negative) with a slight pause at the bottom and up as fast as you can. Going slow takes kinetic inertia out of the movement and stresses the muscles more since your muscles have to power you up without momentum. It will take a little practice to get the rythym right, but it is worth it in the long run.

Of course, to shock your muscles, it is good to rep out as many as you can as quick as you can, but only do that when you are testing yourself to find your 'max' number of pushups or need to alleviate boredom.

20. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    anybody...

I forgot to mention that I do situps with my legs resting on a couch...so its kinda like having my legs in the air...

I hear this works the muscles a bit more?

should I vary this with regular sit ups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.