Forza Horizon 3 - first GPU/CPU benchmark

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by OnnA, Sep 28, 2016.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Radeon & Nvidia GeForce DirectX 12 benchmarks – Forza Horizon 3:

UPDATE:
    Forza Horizon 3 PC Struggles To Run At 1080p/60FPS On Many Configurations, Possible Cause Discovered !!

Forza Horizon 3, the latest entry of the series developed by Playground Games, is now available for all PC and Xbox One owners in all regions, and things aren’t looking exactly good for the PC version of the game. Reports on the game’s performance started coming in last week, when the game was made available for those who purchased the Ultimate Edition, but now that the game has been released officially, it’s been confirmed that the performance issues are widespread.

A new video analysis shared by Digital Foundry confirms how Forza Horizon 3 struggles to run at 1080p/60FPS on several different configurations.

Forza Horizon 3 PC 1080p 60fps Performance Problems In-Depth Analysis

While we’re running this game at 4K 60fps on our top-tier PC, many can’t hit 1080p60… what’s going on? Rich tests the game with GTX 970, GTX 1060, R9 390 and RX 480. The aim? We want to lock at full HD, 60fps with v-sync engaged for a silky smooth experience. But let’s just say that this is much harder than it sounds.
    Advertisement

While the reason behind these performance issues has yet to be discovered, reddit user dkhavilo believes he has found it. According to the user, the game stutters due to ESR, as a lot of CPU is required to decrypt files while playing.

The reason of those stutters is the fact that the game uses EFS which consumes a lot of CPU.
    Yesterday, i’ve captured a usage on my CPU and GPU, and found interesting thing, when CPU has 100% a lot of stuttering appears and GPU usage lower fluctuates at 50-80%. Stutters mostly appears in a city and mostly at the fast speed, when the game loads a lot of assets simultaneously. The i’ve navigated to a folder where game is installed and found that game folder uses EFS, which AFAIK uses AES256 encryption. Having EFS is ok for sensible documents, not the game files, because it requires a lot of CPU to decrypt.

There’s also a post on the official forums where a user has issues on a 4-core CPU, and has no issues on a 6-core one.
    P.S. My specs are i5-6600k @ 4.0GHz, MSI Gaming X GTX 1070, 16Gb RAM, installed on a 512Gb Crucial MX100.

Update 1 During cpu spikes there’s a high IO activity too, as assumed on the mentioned forum thread, this can be the result of encryption preventing files to be cached. This can also prove, the encryption might be a problem, because cpu is bottlenecked when reading a huge amount of data.
    If you have HDD, then read speed is pretty low, meaning you have less data to decrypt each second, but on an ssd, data reads very fast resulting in a big cpu spikes!

========================
    Now some Tests:

[​IMG]

The graphics in Forza Horizon 3 is simply gorgeous as the game itself. Vegetation, model cars, game locations, dynamic weather changes and nochi- day and all this is done at a very high level. In fact this is now the best representative of the genre on the PC.

As we can see, that the graphics card (in particular AMD), there are problems with the use of video in the game mode, Ultra, which has a detrimental effect on performance. Just draw your attention to our test interval for graphics cards - it is somewhat heavier than most of the locations in the game.

Ultra settings is with MSAA but i don't know what settings x2 or x4?
    Also strange is lacking Tests of RX480 :bang: (UPD. We have now tests from OC3D site)
    But we have for now some insights, that Game is actually Playable on "every" GPU (Sometimes little Tweak to settings Helps for example Shadows From Ultra to High etc.)

Testing at high quality settings 1920x1080
    In these settings a reasonable rate FPS video showed the level of Radeon HD 7970 or GeForce GTX 750 Ti. The optimal solution would be the level of the video card Radeon RX 460 or GeForce GTX 770 4G.

[​IMG]

Testing with ultra quality settings 1920x1080
    In these settings a reasonable rate FPS video showed the level of Radeon R9 Nano or GeForce GTX 780 of Ti. The optimal solution would be the level of the video card Radeon R9 Nano or GeForce GTX 970.

[​IMG]

Testing with the quality settings high 2560x1440
    In these settings a reasonable rate FPS video showed the level of Radeon RX 460 or GeForce GTX 770 4G. The optimal solution would be the level of the video card Radeon R7 370 or GeForce GTX 770 4G.

[​IMG]

Testing with the quality settings ultra 2560x1440
    In these settings a reasonable rate FPS video showed the level of Radeon R9 Nano or GeForce GTX 970.

[​IMG]

Testing with the quality settings high 3840x2160
    In these settings a reasonable rate FPS video showed the level of Radeon R9 380X or GeForce GTX 970. The optimal solution would be the level of the video card adeon R9 290 and GeForce GTX 970.

[​IMG]

Testing with the quality settings Ultra 3840x2160
    In these settings a reasonable rate FPS video showed the level of Radeon R9 Nano or GeForce GTX 980.
    Optimal solution will be video level adeon R9 Fury X or GeForce GTX 1060.

[​IMG]

Now CPUs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing gRAM consumption play at different quality settings

[​IMG]

Testing the system RAM consumption

[​IMG]

Testing with the quality settings at Ultra w/MSAA? memory GPU
    It is also worth recalling that the smaller the amount of video memory on the video card, the more RAM consumption.

[​IMG]

Source: http://gamegpu.com

So we all need updated drivers now for this game (Yeah the Fix lol)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Tahiti at 750ti levels? Oh dear...

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    New Driver will be avaible soon, and the game is not released Yet.
    It's in Early Access now, so IMO they will Optimise it further, but some areas of the Game are really Heavy + The Game looks Great :)

371 cars ! 3 times larger Map than in H2 etc.
    So it's a big-BIG game !
    And its designed for Console and 30FPS in mind ! Thats why and this: ESR which decrypt files while playing ! :bang:

Here ->

Its Forza Horizon 3 Time !

Enjoy ! The Game Map is Enormous !

Forza Horizon 3 | All Tuning & Customization Options

Forza Horizon 3 - Visual Car List - All 371 Launch Cars

Forza Horizon 3 Gameplay in 4K

Forza Horizon 3 : NEW PC GAMEPLAY

UPD.

Take a full tour of Forza Horizon 3's beautiful rendition of Australia.

Circling the Entire Forza Horizon 3 Map 1080p 60fps

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Hopefully they'll improve :)
    It's a shame to see the X6 1100T and X4 980 tests missing as in some previous reviews (for FX comparison), but I believe no one's interested anymore on such old hardware.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I will go for Zen 100%, Gigabyte just shows off new AM4 boards this week !! :banana:
    Also i know that we have ASUS boards ready to ship also !
    That means one thing ! ZEN is closer than we know :)

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Tahiti thing is weird, since Kepler which is also on 11_1 seems to behave much much better. They should be at least on par.

7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Even by looking at other CGN 1.0 parts, being slower than a (4GB) R7 370 doesn't look right (but having that one over a GTX770 in the first graph is also surprising).
    Could it be that AMD cards are struggling with 3GB on current drivers unlike their NV Kepler counterparts?

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's even more weird considering that APEX was running so well. I am under the impression they use the same engine, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah, so much for DX12 in this one, clearly it uses only 1 core !!!
    And here in analysis shared by Digital Foundry, they also surprised by all of this.
    And finally new DRM kicks CPUs ars.ess when game is installed on SSD.

And now this:
    Quantum Break – Official Steam requirements revealed, will be DX11-only, will not support mGPU systems.... :bang:

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    It's the same engine but the games are completely different when it comes to scale and detail, on the Xbox One Forza Motorsport 6 hits 60fps with zero drops, but the trade off is that detail is pared back. With Forza Horizon they target 30fps with as much detail as possible.

My impression is that this game was just never built with 60fps in mind, pretty much eats whatever CPU is thrown at it.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    From all the indications I have after reading the Digital Foundry and Arstechnica articles, it seems that hitching is unavoidable no matter the configuration, even at 1080p. It seems that the whole engine is tweaked for 30fps, and it's a properly delivered 30fps at that, with even 33ms between each frame.

The charts from the Russian site are almost useless. They say nothing about hitching. In Eurogamer they also say that older generations of both AMD and NVIDIA cards have a lot of issues. The 970 and the 390 they have seem to be severely underperforming. This sounds to me like either a driver or an optimization issue (or possibly both).

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm going with game on this one. Turn 10 knows about the hitching and performance issues and said they are working to fix it.

BTW look how bad the GK110 GPU's are doing in this.

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah we need Patches + Better drivers
    And we have to remember that this game is an Bonus for Us PC Gamers
    So -> Never look a gift horse in the mouth :confused:

Also do you remeber the NFS Rivals on PC?
    It has 30FPS + 32ms Frame Times also and the Game was Playable (i know cuz i have 60h in It :) )

So in Forza Set 30FPS and All on Ultra + 4xAA and it will be smooth as silk on almost every GPU.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    UPD.3

I have The RX 480 tests now.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    UWP and the Windows Store is proving to be a worthy successor to Games for Windows Live.
    Microsoft seems really committed to screwing up PC gamers.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    When you pay for it it's not a gift horse Onna.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The 1060 and the 480 seem to behave very similarly in actual gameplay. The 970 and the 390 are killed. It seems like either a badly optimized driver or port. The have already admitted various issues in their official forums.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You got the point -> $
    I got another -> we have Forza on PC ;-)

20. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    Should've bought a 750ti instead of this