Need new headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by eclap, Feb 10, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hey guys, my Superlux HD 668B bit the dust and I just hate the sound of my other headphones (some £30 beyers) so I'm looking to get a new set of headphones. I do listen to music on my pc while gaming sometimes so they have to be good for that, also for gaming. I'm not looking for insane bass or anything like that, just want a good big soundstage, fairly neutral headphones that I'll tweak to my liking with EQ.

Budget is up to £100 in the UK, feel free to link your suggestions. I've had a quick look on ebay and I can find the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for around £80, also found a pair of Sennheiser HD 555 for £60 (used, mint condition).

Thanks for your input audiophiles.

EDIT: could also probably afford the AKG K240 MKII as well. Aesthetically they're the most pleasing to the eye imo so that's a plus.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Depends on the sort of sound you like really. You could pick up some DT770 80ohm's for around £100 if you shop about I imagine. The Senni 555's for £60 isn't a bad deal if they really are in mint condition. I'm a bit finicky about buying some things second hand.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I like a good balance of sound. I'm no audiophile, but I don't appreciate booming bass, want some good sounding headphones that will be true sounding. The dt7700 look stunning, that's another possible candidate to go on my list of headphones I need to research. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

4. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I see these recommended alot for gaming, so they would kind of suit your needs in two ways.

I would not be afraid to buy used as long as I bought from someone with a good reputation.

Alot of good used cans on Head-fi.org in the buy/sell/trade section....complete with feedback and picture.

Beware though....visiting that site, at least for me...always hurts my wallet :p

The ATH-AD700 can be bought new for around $100

Be aware they they are an open air set of headphones

I have a pair of ATH-A700 that i use for gaming....the only difference being the A700 is a closed headphone.

I no longer use them for music, but I still use them for gaming.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    cheers, I'll check the head-fi forums for offers. Also, I actually want open back headphones. I don't mind that little bit of sound leaking, still better than using speakers in the middle of the night.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok, just ordered Audio Technica ATH-AD700 from eBay, for £80, they're supposed to be as good as new, only used for 2 weeks when this guy was waiting for his speakers to be repaired, should have them soon will post back with some feedback.

Thanks all.

8. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I have never heard either one...but I do not believe there is much difference as long as you get a 55 ohm model.

The vintage 240 was a 600 ohm model, so you would definitely need an amp if you go the older version

9. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Sorry, did not see you already bought some Audio-Technicas

Congrats, and please do report back with how you like them.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Will do, I've kinda done my research on the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 a few times before, you only ever hear good things about them so we'll see. and yeah, I think those AKG 242 HD phones were basically the 240s "tweaked" for mainstream general public. Read mixed reviews about them, which is a shame because they look sweet! and there's no way I would drive the 600Ohm 240s so they were a no go.

11. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    " I have a pair of ATH-A700 that i use for gaming....the only difference being the A700 is a closed headphone."

This is a huge diference, the fact that they are closed makes a lot of diference in sound.

I have an A700 too, they are nice headphones, principaly for the price, but they are not perfect. The A700 have a big soundstage and the AD700 have a even bigger one, that's the main reason they are good for gaming. Still, they are not perfect.

Both are bass-light and both have a bit of a dry character which may bother some people, in the case of the AD700 the soundstage is so great that most people forgive this problems only due to that which is the #1 gamming quality. Both are a bit bright, so, it can also be most strage for many people.

There are great options in the ~ US$100 range, the HD555 is another good, and the ATH-m50 is a third. My only sugestion is that you try the headphone in person if you have the chance, if not, explain which are your music tastes and which is your gear.

Good luck

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The AD700 being a bit bright and bass light is what made me sold them off all those years ago, As well as the ear pads on them made my ears hot like a spa. But yea I agree give the headphones a listen and pick one which sounds good to you, as well having the sound signature that you want.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've had the Sennheisers 555 years ago and they were ok, but not exactly worth the money imho. The m50s supposed to be quite bassy which I don't like. I don't buy into the "more bass = better sound" because I'm not a teenager anymore.

I've read a lot about the AD700 "lacking" in bass. some say it's not there at all, some say it is and it's very well presented and accurate, but there's not that much of it, compared to some other phones. I don't mind that at all in general. I'll tweak the EQ of course and see what result I get. Either way they should be good for what I paid. One of the main [points I usually look at when buying headphones is comfort. I've used some awful headphones in the past in this regard and nothing was worse than the Roccat Kave headset. that thing was so heavy it was ridiculous, it didn't quite go round my ears and the clamping was far too strong. After 2 hours my neck was hurting, my ears were hurting and I got really hot around my ears. Worst experience ever and I took them back to the store. They also sounded very average.

I'm reading that the AD700 are ridiculously comfortable. Some people say that even after 12 hours they forget they have them on. That's a big selling point for me. Also read they're more for big heads, which is not my case tbh, but we'll see. Either way, can't wait to try them out. I'll also look into modding them a little bit

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  15. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Love my DT770s - got the 250ohm version. Awesome bass, but they need to be driven by a low impedance to do it.

I run mine with a little small amp - bass impact is ridiculous :)

16. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Comfort is certanly one of the important aspects in the pratical use, since many like us use headphones for extended periods of time not for the objective of listening them, but to do something else while listening to music. In this regard I can coment on the A700, which I had, with velour pads too. They are very comfortable, but very loose clamp and also not adjustable, so some people with "small" heads that I knew had problems with them, I didn't but I know who had.

About Eq'ing the AD700: Sometimes EQ doesn't solve the problem, though I don't know if it's the case, because either the headphone don't respond well to EQ or it simply lacks the ability to do so. For example, if you have a headphone that lacks low end extension, simply doesn't matter how much you EQ it, it simply won't present the lower bass notes properly. As a very poor example, we have the monstrer beats studio, which have a hardware EQ inside the headphone(to bump the midbass and produce that massive mid-bass peak that eletronic/hip-hop music folk love, but the driver simply can't produce by itself), and still the bass sounds horrible. The same applies to the treble.

In sight unseen, I belive the AD700 is a good buy. The problem of the A/AD700 with bass is that it have a not so good extension, but principaly they lack presence and impact. It's like the instruments are far off. They are tonaly precise, and generaly they don't have a flabby/boomy bass, which is great, but it lacks presence and impact. In adition to that their midrange ir pretty foward, which in generaly shadows the bass, and that's something most people definetly aren't used to.

In my personal case, I started to notice a "nasal" quality in my A700, which have been bothering me enough to try finding a buyer for it. It isn't my first option of headphone for a long time, but since noticing this they are surely out-bound from my home.

As for bass, I'm no teenager neither, but I have my share of bass-heavy genders (prog. rock & metal, some specific kinds of eletronic......... and pipe-organ music :D), and even if you aren't a bass-head, the proper presence of the bass and it's interaction with the midrange changes a lot the overall feeling of the music. One of my best (if not THE best) headphone I have right now is the Mad Dogs, and, hell, their bass is simply incredible and the mids are out of this world, and awesome detail across all the spectrum, add to this great comfort and very good isolation and you got in your hand one of the most pratical headphones you can think of. The bass is necessary, even if (and principaly when) it isn't big boomy teenage bass.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    man, I'm gutted. the AD700 just bit the dust. Was watching Kill Bill vol.2, all good, next thing you know I get a couple of little electric shocks to my right ear and then just static noise from the right phone. so I take it they're dead. will be looking for a replacement, damn it. what to get next.

EDIT: looks like it's the soundcard that bit the dust, none of my headphones work from the card's output and only left headphone works while the right one makes noise if connected to the front panel. Looks like I'm buying another Xonar DG instead, lesser of the 2 evils I guess.

EDIT2: just thinking about it, how can a sound card going pop send an electric shock via the headphone speaker?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  18. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    It depends on how the card died and whenever the card has any protection against such overloads. Yet it is not uncommon for electrical devices, cheap PSU's often lack the necessary safeguards as well so when they die there is a chance that they will send a last current that is much to high before they'll finally give out which can fry other hardware.

Be happy that the headphones still work, they could have died as well.