GTX 670 BF3 Problems!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Stefan_SRB, May 11, 2013.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    How do I read this graph to see if one core is maxed out?

http://www.moongamers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58823

I see so if both lines are close then no bottleneck. If the CPU line goes up and away from the GPU line then bottleneck. If the GPU line goes up then GPU bottleneck. I noticed my CPU stayed low and did not really fluctuate and I should hope not @4.8!

Good example of CPU Bottlenecking:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs9jHMKvdlU
    The GPU line on the other hand went away from the CPU line sometimes as the frame rate dropped from 120fps down to sometimes 90ish.

I understand a little!

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    I still only understand a little as well shadow.

I can tell you this, I just set mesh quality to low, and it's like playing BF3 6 months ago.

Perfect.

WHAT THE HELL?

This needs more testing, I tested only on one empty server and one full server, I will report back later with some more confirmed thoughts.

EDIT just played a bit with mesh on High instead of Ultra and it still seemed OK, again really I need good time to draw any solid conclusions.

3. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Not on AMD systems if they are set properly. No way one core maxed out can happen. Most of the stutters and problems are user generated, that's why SERVICES exist in the first place, if you don't know, let those who know to set everything for you, or search help on forums like here etc, or waste your money on more expensive but not much faster hardware. It is those ppl choice :).

Anyways, on OP system, if everything is set as it should, there is no way CPU bottleneck could happen. Especially not on game that runs well on dual core CPU's ;).

And btw, dips to 58FPS (or 35FPS for that matter) with STUTTER indicate that there IS system problem somewhere, with hardware or software, those dips MUST be smooth.

4. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090

5. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    OH gosh I am not worried about that lol a MINOR disadvantage at 3000 yards maybe! as long as the game does not run like a big mess I am VERY happy, I have been playing with mesh on high and having no problems.

I would argue I am at more of a disadvantage with the game dropping into the 50's with a 5.0Ghz 2700K and a Titan not even breaking a sweat and no explanation why - it's called misery and woe.

but will confirm after more time playing.

6. angmar

angmar Guest

Get i7 3770k if you aren't tight on money and if thats too much then get at the very least a 3570k. Overclock it to 4.5+ghz and your good to go.

7. angmar

angmar Guest

You are completely wrong. Cpu does not have to be capped to implicate cpu bottleneck. An this is 100 percent for certain his issue. Your clueless.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hehhhhh, talk about clueless.

Just.... explain to me your logic, senor.

9. angmar

angmar Guest

I am not going to sit here and argue with you. If you can't understand that a FX 8150 is a pretty big bottleneck in BF3 multiplayer on a SLI/Crossfire setup then you really don't know what your talking about. I don't even need to troubleshoot his pc to tell him this as it is COMMON SENSE and common knowledge that AMD cpus are not adedquate to power SLI or crossfire ESPECIALLY AT ONLY 1080p. You can use a fx8150 for triple monitor sure but at that low of a res an AMD cpu just wont be able to keep up with the graphics cards.

Hes playing at 1080p so cpu bottleneck will be a big problem for him with his SLI setup. Hell I get cpu bottlenecked in BF3(multiplayer) with just one GTX680 let alone two.

There is nothing wrong with his system, his drivers or anything else. It is the coding of the game and its inability to fully utilize the full cpu. Just as the game cannot use my full cpu but beings my cpu has much faster IPC I still get a lot more fps then him. There is NOTHING he can do to fix his problem other then upgrade. It sucks that even though there is a lot of untapped power it cannot be used but that is the nature of game programming and making a game use all available threads/cores is not as simple as people think it is.

Also his cpu basically is a quad core with hypthreading so looking at the cpu meter to detect a bottleneck is not as easy as it is to look at the cpu meter on a dual core with 2 real cores etc..

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You have comprehension issues.

I never said his FX-8150 was bottlenecking or not. I am leaving that conclusion until we have more data.

I am objecting to your theory that CPU bottlenecking can happen when none of the cores are maxed out. Hoit's s this even possible?

You said you are bottlenecking because you are seeing your GPU usage go below 99%; how else could you determine your "bottleneck". And I am telling you this assumption is false; the low GPU usage you are seeing is NOT from a CPU bottleneck, it's the game that's messed up.

It can't use up all your CPU means it can't go faster. If it was able to use more, it would use more.

You people on these forums tend to overexaggerate CPU bottlenecks.

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I am not bottlenecked from looking at the render.perfoverlayvisible 1. Both lines very low and close to each other would suggest that. And yet sometimes both cards can go as low as 80% usage for no reason and frame rate will drop 10-20fps in that time.

I do think there is something wrong with the game. Like others said it might be mesh. Who knows. Probably never get fixed now.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The cpu is very important in bf3 multiplayer. My guess is battlefield 3 runs real good in single player mode for op as it more gpu heavy.

13. angmar

angmar Guest

It is cpu bottleneck because if i pull up ASROCK Xtuner on one monitor and have BF3 multiplayer open on my other monitor when I change my cpu frequency around my FPS drops and raises accordingly. Which means that if my intel i73770k@4.7ghz gets cpu bottlenecked in spots in BF3 multiplayer then you can sure as **** bet that a substantially slower at gaming cpu like the fx8150 will be bottle necked even worse still hence his low fps.

The bottom line is he needs a better cpu for that sli setup. I wouldn't even use that cpu for a single 680. It just doesn't have a fast enough IPC to compete with Intel cpus atm.

And as far as over exaggeration on cpu bottlenecks I don't over exaggerate anything...if someones problem is coming from there cpu I tell them. An looking at cpu meter when you have hyperthreading or AMD modules is not a way to tell if you have cpu bottleneck as you almost certainly won't see it due to the additional virtual cores.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  14. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Misinformation all over the place in this thread.

First of all, Intel CPU's don't have advantage over AMD CPU's for some games because some magic cores etc. but because of superior IMC that is directly related to IPC.

Second, FX-8150 have 8 processing cores and 0 virtual.

Third, his problem is most likely not CPU, but drivers for GPU, since people on more powerful GPU's play BF3 without problem on slower AMD CPU's with minimum frame rate well over 50 in multiplayer with 30+ players.

Forth, any significant stutter when FPS is going all over the place (100 to 35) is sign of system problem, most probably drivers/software.

That's about it, if OP don't feel setting his system properly, then he should buy i7 CPU (or i5) and look at basically same thing happening.

15. Stefan_SRB

Stefan_SRB Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 Lightning
    I've tried render.perfoverlayvisible 1 and I gues it is the cpu,cause when fps are low it is going slow and higher maybe to half of overlay.So intel is only solution for me I hope.

Thank you all guys,you're all great!

16. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Regarding BF3 it's a bit of a strange beast and I'll go a little off topic but I can't help myself. Didn't read the whole thread yet but I thought I'd reply to this specifically since you were testing my suggestion.

BF3 has unfortunately got worse with most patches in terms of framerate hitching. Overall framerate seems to increase but whatever the problem is fundamentally down to the FPS can drop from very high to very low in intense scenes. I have tested all of the settings extensively as well as everything else on my system and I can come to only 2 conclusions (for me).

Slightly unrelated for you but I'll add it here since I thought it would never be a problem for me and it might help someone else; hyperthreading does increase microstuttering in BF3 for me even though it seems fine in pretty much everything else. So I disable it in my BIOS.

Mesh quality to low is the single biggest increase for low FPS in BF3 and while you get some pop-in the general quality of BF3 is not really affected. I also believe that effects quality to low is worth it for those intense scenes but it is a very hard thing to test since it only really seems to make any difference when something intense is happening (i.e tank driving through a house).

I have a 2600k @ 4.8 and 680 GTX SLI but I run mesh on low and effects on low because it just gives you that +100fps smoothness (even when '**** is going down') that I want (yes, usually maxed at 144)

You'll probably find that karkand (city) maps are the worst for whatever reason.

For what its worth, I use this currently:

textures ultra
    shadows med
    effects low
    terrain med
    mesh low

SSAO makes such a small difference, HBAO or off to your own preference.

Also, use SweetFX or you're doing the game a disservice (both in game AA are godawful)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376265

inb4 "my rig plays at 60fps and i can't tell the difference so nor can you" flames

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Oh and regarding this i've tested quite a lot and the only time I have ever seen people rendering badly at far range is actually at obscure angles like looking up at damavand from the spawn at the bottom of the cliff, and even then its quite rare. The smoothness you get from mesh quality low, for me, far outweighs any negatives. Also occasionally you get to see people hiding behind thin objects such as as market stalls ;) (grand bazaar)

Most of this problem seems to be down to a dodgy LOD implementation, but lets hope they fix it for BF4

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You might be right about this concerning BF3.

I've seen one guy's min FPS increase more than his overclock. He went from 4.3GHz to 4.6GHz and min FPS increased from 59FPS to 66FPS, which doesn't make sense.

This game is woozy.

I've never seen any CPU bottlenecking occur with core usage below 100%, but this game takes the cake.

@bishi: I've not had the time to play this game for a long while. Seems everything went sloping downwards, eh?

Pity.

19. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    You should read bishi post before you do anything.

I'm telling you str8 that it is not CPU problem, but driver or some system settings, or potentially motherboard drivers conflict.

You are free to do as you wish, be my guest waste your money, you will feel improvement there is no doubt about it, but that will not solve basic problem you have with that game.

Good luck.

20. Stefan_SRB

Stefan_SRB Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 Lightning
    OK,tomorrow I will update my motherboard again,even it is up to date and start configuring the gpu drivers (any news about new whql?),and do some tests.If that doesn't solve the problem,gonna start making money for new components.