artifacts in crysis warhead

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by alcest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    Hello guys,
    i have strange artifacts in crysis warhead on ati 4850, i uploaded 2 videos from it here:

http://www.upnito.sk/download.php?dwToken=36f76a470d2cfdfcebb34f437fb6018d

http://www.upnito.sk/download.php?dwToken=9e3a36ff3d689f94aa30717595d8ff7e

its in slovak (that link) so 'suhlasim s pravidlami' means 'i agree with terms', and 'stiahnut' is 'download' :)
    could you pls look at it, and suggest the reason for it?

i have both ram and gpu overclocked, and i think it might be ram, thats causing troubles

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You have an overclocked gpu.. you get artifacts...

The artifacts that you're getting are definitely from the OC'ed card.

3. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    ok, but there are differently clocked ram and gpu, and i dont believe that both cause artifacts, moreover it is overclocked with ati overdrive, so something might be wrong with crysis.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Try downclock your GPU and see if that helps,check temeperatures its maybe is overheating...(nothing is wrong with Crysis)

And yeah the HD 4850 requires at least a 450W power supply.

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Nothing is wrong with the game, I just beat it for the 4th time and have yet to experience anything negative.

Too high of a GPU overclock will cause 'popping' - little white or black dots, while too high of a memory overclock will cause 'tearing' - distorted textures that stretch off into space.

Decrease your overclocks a bit...and just because you overclocked with CCC doesn't mean that you didn't go out of bounds for your card - no card overclocks the same, and you've got one that doesn't like where you've put it.

Psychlone

6. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    temps are max 50-52,
    psu is powerfull enough, according to ati overdrive that card can go up to 790 mhz on gpu, and over 1158 mhz on ram, and i had to downgrade gpu to 730 to work with crysis, and even then there were these artifacts

7. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD4870 512M
    The temperature sensors are not to be trusted. This is a clear sign of something overheating, and as said before, downclock. Try stock clocks.

8. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    ok, so i wont trust sensors, are there any good torture tests for ati, or for gpu in general? (i just wont go back to stock clocks, why in the hell did i replace stock heatsink then?)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  9. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    due to no time (its 02:20 past midnight)
    i tried only one gpu stress test 'Tropics' (only 2 cycles), and my gpu passed,
    anyway here is log file from gpu-z 0.2.8, could somebody tell, what are the max (safe) temps for 4850? (mine from this log are: DISPIO - 53c, MEMIO - 56c, SHADERCORE -55c)
    i will burden my gpu next day, and post results, but if somebody can tell at what temps is his gpu causing problems, or what are those max temps for ati,
    pls post.

http://rapidshare.com/files/150998640/Copy_of_GPU-Z_Sensor_Log.txt.html

btw did somebody look at those 2 videos i posted at thread start?
    maybe it will make clear whats my problem?
    thanx

10. runawayprisoner

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD4870 512M
    Tropics is not exactly a stress test. More like a demo in reality.

And again, temp sensors are not to be trusted. You can blow a 100CFM fan directly onto those and they'll report something like 20C whereas your GPU or memory modules would be hovering at 60-70C in reality. Use temperature probes to measure your temperature accurately. Temperature sensors won't be accurate anymore after another cooler is installed, since the stock cooler would distribute heat all over, and the stock cooler was closer to the sensors. (i.o.t. the sensors are only good for the stock cooler)

That aside, the stock cooler for HD4850 is really not too efficient, which is why replacing it was a must for a lot of owners.

I know this because my HD4850 died from overclocking as well. I never went that route again. Got myself a HD4870 in that stead.

11. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    ok, i got it, i will downclock for now, anyway do somebody know some stress test applications?

12. runawayprisoner

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD4870 512M
    As it is right now, stress testing will just wear your card out, or even kill it (in my case). If you still want to try, use Atitools. It has a built-in stress test that stresses pretty well.

Absolutely touch FurBench... never. It stresses your card way beyond the average level, and will kill overclocked or overvolted card very easily.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    What drivers are you using for Crysis I have 8.10 beta installed they are great but I get flashing textures in Crysis.

14. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    re

ok, many thanks for info,
    just now i am running crysis warhead benchmark, and it even looks beautiful :)

15. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I started with the 8.9 official CCC's and updated to the beta 8.10 set and experienced the same flashing textures (group of trees at a distance, a few large rocks at a distance, etc.) - but I found that if I load the game, exit to the main menu and reload it again, it clears it up...probably something to do with texture memory having to be reloaded, but they *are* beta drivers, so don't expect that to be an issue when they become official.

I'm still using the beta 8.10's because they're all-around just better drivers. And, to date, those flashing textures are the only problem that I've ever experienced with any beta or official Catalyst drivers. Ever.

Psychlone