Question for Unwinder

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by bobmitch, Feb 21, 2017.

1. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I just received a notice from EVGA that my GTX 1080 SC ACX is being replaced with a 1080 ICX model. Only difference will be the nine temp sensors, fuse and two fan controllers, instead of one. Now, fans are for GPU and Power/VRM...on separate controllers. Will Afterburner sense the two fan controllers and let me control separately? OR...If I set fan curve, will it control both controllers with one setting? I am not a fan of Precision, so I am hopeful that there will be a way to keep the new card cool with Afterburner.

Thanks!

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I'm not Unwinder obviously, but IIRC, fans with separate controllers will require AB to control one fan and another 3rd party software to control the other.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Cannot answer that without seeing that hardware. I'd assume that only the first fan will be controllable.

4. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Thank you. Will have to see what happens once the card arrives. Here is the overview of ICX. http://www.evga.com/articles/01084/evga-icx/

I would imagine that there is a fan curve built into the bios for both fans. If that is the case, I would imagine that the Power/VRM fan would kick in at some point. Just not thrilled about using Precision.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

5. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I can attest to the fact that Afterburner only runs the GPU fan, with the new ICX version of EVGA cards. The Power/VRM fan can still run from bios settings of the card, but not until 60C. I hope, one day, that more companies adopt the two separate fan controllers, so Unwinder can include this feature in Afterburner. Unfortunately, I have to use Precision for the time being...

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

More companies won't adopt to it because they already do it for years. What EVGA is promoting as something brand new and even patented async fan control is available for years for some MSI cards, and even that fact didn't cause AB to be rewritten just to support that.
    Both AMD and NV drivers are providing API for controlling the primary fan only, adding support for secondary fan means that controller must be accessed directly at low level, which adds real jar of worms in compatibility area. It won't be in AB just because some vendor (regardless if it is MSI, EVGA or anybody else) decide to play marketing games with second "async" controller.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Understood! Thanks for the explanation

8. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Just wanted to specify...I stepped up to the EVGA GTX 1080 TI FE, which has only one fan and am back on Afterburner. So glad to be "home"...the writers of EVGA Precision software don't have Unwinder's understanding of how everything should work...or even keep the software up to date. Afterburner FTW! Custom fan curve even keeps the FE much cooler...top temp around 72C at full load