Random BSODs (HD 7970)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cstrosser, Mar 23, 2012.

1. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Thanks for the response!

I've had the most luck with the 896 drivers, but to be frank, they still suck. My HD 7970 has better benchmarks than my HD 6870, but I get better in game performance from my HD 6870 (Laminar Research, makers of X-Plane 10, is partly to blame). In addition, I don't get the crashes with the HD 6870. I'm close to returning this thing...thankfully I'm still in the 30 day window.

I use Norton Security Suite. Now I'm curious...any other HD 7970 users out there use Norton?

Per the advice of others, I used ATIman to uninstall the drivers. I did a clean sweep and tested each version. The 8.96-120315a-135399E drivers are the best, but still have the BSOD problem, as stated.

I actually ended up fixing this one by reinstalling the drivers, and selecting the SDK option.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you can run the 6870 without a bsod then chances are it could be the card. If all else fails RMA it...at least that way you'll eliminate the card as the cause.

I think someone else with an XFX 7970 posted recently with problems too, his card was freezing up.

3. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Until we have non-beta drivers, I don't know think we can give a probability either way. That's half the battle. AMD has told me, "Once official drivers are released we can assist with troubleshooting." The AMD service rep said the official drivers would likely be out on Wednesday of last week (3/21). That didn't happen, and they haven't responded to any subsequent emails.

I am pretty close to doing what you have suggested though... exchanging for another HD 7970 or returning the card. This has been an exercise in frustration.

Just to add some detail... the crashes typically happen when I am away from the computer. In addition, I have experienced a bunch of crashes while doing desktop-type tasks; however, I have never experienced a crash while using X-Plane 10 (OpenGL-based flight sim). Watch though...now that I have said this, I'll get one. =/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    yeah maybe try increasing stock volts a tad. if no fix it looks like its time to rma the card

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Sounds like the card is failing, RMA it

6. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. I'm going to do some logging with GPU-Z to see if I can find any patterns. I'm considering exchanging it for another tomorrow just for my own piece of mind, but I have little confidence that I will see a change based on the reports floating around out there. I'll keep everyone posted.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well put it this way; if you swap out the card and still get BSOD then it's pretty unlikely (but not impossible) the GPU is to blame but yeah still could be anything...

But if you don't get anymore bsod's you'll know the card was faulty for sure...that's how I see anyway.

So you have a 50/50 chance of eliminating the problem by returning the card yeah?

8. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Agreed! :)

9. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I'm still not sure its a faulty card. Can you try it in another machine?

How about installing windows to a new partition just to test that it isn't conflicting drivers.

you could even try as someone mentioned - installing CCC on the new OS but ONLY install the drivers component making sure not to install CCC etc, and if CCC is running kill CCC and MOM.

And finally, it may sound obvious but dont install any software that does anything with the display layer such as steam or origin in game overlays, Teamviewer / VNC monitor drivers etc

10. mattfca

mattfca Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970
    I had this same problem when I first upgraded my CF6950's to the 7970.

It was a driver issue, I had to delete all old drivers then install drivers fresh.

The card is not at fault.

11. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    I decided to exchange the card just to be on the safe side. I'll keep everyone posted.
    -Chris

12. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Well, as I figured, this is not caused by a faulty card.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Awesome. Have you trued running just one monitor yet?

14. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Should I physically disconnect the second monitor, or just leave it off?

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Disconnect it.

16. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  18. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Yeah, that was the first place I looked after getting the card. Unfortunately, mothing there was helpful.

19. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    I keep having the atikmpag.sys 116 BSOD with 6870 crossfire, it only happens when a game is starting up, and not every time.

20. cstrosser

cstrosser Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)
    Update: No BSOD since the 12.3 drivers