Water Cooling questions from a noob please help

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Loophole35, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    why 2 pumps ? 1 good is ok ... Radiators are extremely low in restriction ( if it is not an stealth HWlabs ) .. 2 pumps are overrated if you dont watercool the chipset and rams too..

Anyway for 2 gpus and CPU, if you use an good/excellent 360mm rad, good fans ( 1650-1850rpm like the Gentle Typhoon ).. you are good to go.

Use the fans in Push mode > Good pump > using a bridges for the gpu's (easy tubing routes in small cases ), 1/2" tubes.. you should be good.

If you miss places: a reservoir who includes the pumps in 5/4" bay.

I was using 2x 360mm rads ( 2 EK ( one XT and one XTX ), and removed one, and the result is still excellent, i have finally choose to run only the 360mm EK XTX And save me some headache for the place.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Matt I just stumbled upon this case and I think I may be in love (always wanted a white case) I'm trying to watch some video reviews of it right now but youtube sucks so yeah. So now I have another choice on my list and this one is around the same price as the Xigmatek which is welcomed because the other cases were the Cosmos II and the 900D both of those are in the $350 area.

BTW mind sharing some picks of your build since its in a 810 would love to steal I mean see what can be done.

Sorry Agent I appreciate the suggestion but I have a personal hatred of "doors" covering the drive bays I can deal with a sliding cover like the Cosmos II but cant do hinged doors.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You can run a triple up top, a triple in front and a dual in the bottom if you wanted with no modding.

The silverstone TJ07 USB 3.0v, you can get a quad in the bottom, triple up top (with pre- modded version) and another triple in bottom, or maybe another dual not sure
    Its expensive though.
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...al-Loop-Ready--TJ07-B-TOPMOD-W-pid-12688.html

Heres another good case for the money, The Phobya.
    Bit bland without a window but it has loadsa room, you canfit loads in it.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...Big-Watercase-V1-Black-Edition-pid-15035.html

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    have the alphacool repack with just the one pump atm but it's great. really recommend it and the fillport at the front is damm handy!

really made a diff to my temps, most i see now on my gpu is around 40c now..

i dont use coolant but just distilled with some pulse modding phn benzalkonium chloride.

p.s carefull with those rad fins. even with a hafx fitting a 360 can be a bit fiddly. i'd go for the corsair obsidian 800d, has to be the best atm. but i am hunting about for a new case myself..

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The 800D is ok but you can only get 1x triple and 1x dual in it without modding.

Thats ok but if your gonna be spending money on a Case id want more than that tbh.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't like the price on the 800D you get the same space and layout in the NZXT Switch 810. Btw I'm leaning towards the 810 over the xigmatec.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    NZXT Switch 810 Review & Watercooling Guide over 1hr.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHjJ8sPe_8

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Watched that last night along with looking at a few more 810's with water on YouTube and othe forums. It's a very attractive case.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah its quite good, Do what Tom says though and take yourtime.
    If thats the case your going for you need to figure out what your going to cool,how your loop is going to run and what you may want to cool in the future.

This way when you get all your stuff you can just bang it all in hopefully with no problems.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Think I'll order the blocks, the rads, and the case the weekend (payday!) and then start figuring out how I'm gonna lay everything out and do all the mods if any then I will redirect this thread for more info and as a build log. Think I'm gonna go with the alphacool Monsta rads BTW.

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hey fella, I don't really have many pics, I just last night tore part of my build down. I've removed my 2 Watercooled 6950's and popped an MSI 7970 OC in there, waiting for the Waterblock I want for that to come back into stock then it'll go under water also. Currently have just a 3570K being cooled by and RX360 and RX240 lol

Quick shot of it.

[​IMG]

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Looks nice and Tidy Matt:)

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Cheers matey, still not done though. Wanna make more changes, really would love to get totally custom with the PSU cables. You know what its like ;)

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Very nice Matt I can't wait till mine gets here got the case, rads, and blocks on order got to wait till next payday for res, tubes, pump, and I'm thinking of sleeving the PSU.

15. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Cool, be sure to throw pics up if you can, always nice to see what others are doing. If you want to get into sleeving you should check our Lutro Customs he's got some good vids on it.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Funny thing is I'm watching his crimping vid right now. Got to make custom pci-e cables. I think I'm gonna use his coreless paracord in white. This is gonna be fun can't wait to get started.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i look forward to seeing your build log.:)

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Update time

Okay a few of my parts came in today (the case, rads, blocks) for the picture I went ahead and put the boxes for the hardware that is currently ins use and just put it in the picture just to sow off. :banana:

Here it is
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Okay that is really the only pic I have right now I will post a few more in the coming days along with get some input on how I should plum the water.

BTW what are some good 120mm fans that are available in black? And who makes a good fan controller?

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tbh alot of branded fans are pretty good, there is a wide range.
    I would go no more than 1400rpm for good performance while being quiet. There is no point in having powerful fans which create noise as Watercooling is supposed to be "good performance while being quiet".

Its about finding a nice balance that your happy with.

Lamptron do good fan controllers, there are other makes also that are good. Do some research and read up on a few before you buy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    One good reason I tend to go for the fan with the highest RPM within its range (like the 1850RPM AP15 Gentle Typhoon) is because in many cases it seems, the lower models ship with resistors attached so that the fan motors receive less than 12V. The fan motors would be identical between the models. Trying to control these fans might yield some issues on certain speed ranges and the non-removeable resistor might cause a voltage drop that would not allow the fan to spin up, or at least spin at the desired range. In a nutshell, the whole curve or speed / voltage vs. fan control percentage would be changed.

I control my fans using SpeedFan with the fans connected to the motherboard headers. Always better than using hardware fan control that is not automatic or adjustable (and no, temp sensors won't do a thing when your CPU or GPUs start heating up at the core, especially with a water loop taking care of the heat).

Not enough fan headers? Get the max current rating for your motherboard and use splitters, except if you want per fan monitoring, then you'd need to invest in a fan controller which displays RPM sensor readings.

As for fans, I'd go Gentle Typhoons all the way, though you might also want to check out the Noctua F-12s, as they provide more directional airflow, more pressure. If you don't have a shroud these will show more benefit than usual, and they would need a higher density rad to show benefit, plus they're probably more noisy, heck, EVERYTHING out there is probably more noisy than the Gentle Typhoons.

Now this advice will sound weird, but if you can find a video of how much it takes the Noctua F12s to spin down, that should be an indicator of the friction in the bearings. Gentle Typhoons take 17 seconds to spin down, and that's incredible.

Hope this helps!